Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lpg owners please read  (Read 1572 times)

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
lpg owners please read
« on: 22 March 2012, 18:18:47 »

just reading on another post about someone wanting a lpg car, turns out cars now being put on a electronic register where insurance companies can check to see if it had been installed/checked by a certified garage, in instances of accidents could be a problem if not registered, this superceeds anyone who has the conversion certificate,very intresting as both my lpg cars not on register and one came from factory as a duel fuel, all details at http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/
v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

albitz

Re: lpg owners please read
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2012, 18:47:41 »

Mine isnt on the register either,and if it means getting it inspected etc. then it wont be going on it.

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2012, 20:53:46 »

No news there. Applies to new installs as of the date the new system started.

Easier in theory, until trying to tax it and the daft mare doesn't know the new system is in place.

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2012, 20:54:48 »

Actually, my insurer didn't know about it either.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2012, 21:46:52 »

My insurer doesn't care. Actually, neither did DVLA, who don't reconise LPGA (the people behind the register/certification) anyway.

The certification is purely, like CORGI/Gas Safe, an industry body out to protect its own members.  Like CORGI/Gas Safe, its also rebranded its consumer facing branding, most likely due to bad reputation.

Both my Omegas are on said register anyway, both passed certification first attempt. I certified them just for the hell of it really...
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2012, 21:47:32 »

Most insurers don't understand. Bloke at the DVLA asked me what he was meant to do ::)

For cars already converted there are instructions on the drivelpg website for getting them added ;) If you post them any paperwork, make sure you make copies ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2012, 22:34:28 »

Most insurers don't understand. Bloke at the DVLA asked me what he was meant to do ::)

For cars already converted there are instructions on the drivelpg website for getting them added ;) If you post them any paperwork, make sure you make copies ::)
Oh ok, not what my approved installer said. But what would he know about it. ;D

So there's no incentive or advantage to be had then? If the owner has a safety certificate, and insurers and dvla accept that, and don't know about the web site bowlarx, does seem rather pointless.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2012, 22:41:38 »

So there's no incentive or advantage to be had then? If the owner has a safety certificate, and insurers and dvla accept that, and don't know about the web site bowlarx, does seem rather pointless.
Yours will be on electronic register, due to when it was converted. Even the Silver Bullet is on the electronic one - never had a paper one for it.

If your insurance is happy, certified or otherwise, thats all that counts. For the pointless tax rebate, DVLA need documented evidence of the conversion, the register (or the certificates previous to the electronic register) does not count.

Personally, I would always get mine certified, partly for piece of mind, partly so its easier to swap insurance to more fussy insurers.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2012, 23:18:06 »

Yours will be on electronic register, due to when it was converted. Even the Silver Bullet is on the electronic one - never had a paper one for it.

If your insurance is happy, certified or otherwise, thats all that counts. For the pointless tax rebate, DVLA need documented evidence of the conversion, the register (or the certificates previous to the electronic register) does not count.

Personally, I would always get mine certified, partly for piece of mind, partly so its easier to swap insurance to more fussy insurers.
Yes,understood.

Was thinking about those with a safety cirt already.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2012, 23:33:41 »

As most folk know .. mine was a "professional" install as against a DIY and came with the full (original type) certificate .. I still have it .. :)

DVLA were not interested in that certificate in any way, shape or form. They wanted proof of conversion and a copy of the garage invoice was what they wanted.

Once DVLA were happy the V5C (and all on-line data) changed to "Bi-Fuel" ... and this is all that every insurance company I have asked for a quote has ever needed .. I have more problems with the body kit than I do with LPG regarding insurance.

The ONLY time a copy of that certificate has ever been needed was when I checked the new database and the car was not on it.... they then wanted the original certificate ... they got a copy and a snotty letter. I then got a letter from the installers apologising for the problem .. they had sent the details in 8 months before.... but the prats running the database had not got around to entering them !!

So, in summary .. the database, and the company running it, is a self -serving, profit making, job protection unit that does nothing but allow cowboy companies to pretend to be government authorised .. when they are absolutely not.

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2012, 23:42:28 »

As most folk know .. mine was a "professional" install as against a DIY and came with the full (original type) certificate .. I still have it .. :)

DVLA were not interested in that certificate in any way, shape or form. They wanted proof of conversion and a copy of the garage invoice was what they wanted.

Once DVLA were happy the V5C (and all on-line data) changed to "Bi-Fuel" ... and this is all that every insurance company I have asked for a quote has ever needed .. I have more problems with the body kit than I do with LPG regarding insurance.

The ONLY time a copy of that certificate has ever been needed was when I checked the new database and the car was not on it.... they then wanted the original certificate ... they got a copy and a snotty letter. I then got a letter from the installers apologising for the problem .. they had sent the details in 8 months before.... but the prats running the database had not got around to entering them !!

So, in summary .. the database, and the company running it, is a self -serving, profit making, job protection unit that does nothing but allow cowboy companies to pretend to be government authorised .. when they are absolutely not.

GO ON NIGE. BOTH BARRELS. :y :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2012, 10:55:29 »

Agreed. I think LPGA UKLPG's plan was for the insurers to embrace their database and require every LPG car they insure to be on it, thus ensuring jobs for the boys gibbons.

They fell at the first hurdle by not administering it effectively and not spreading awareness. An inaccurate database is as much use as the proverbial used condom, so we're back with a situation where no insurer gives a damn.

My car's not on it. No insurer has ever asked about it and, if they did, I would just move on the the next one. If the insurer sees that they are losing business yet the incidences of non-UKLPG registered cars exploding like bombs are surprisingly rare, they will soon bin the idea.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.