Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V8 solution  (Read 4519 times)

feeutfo

Re: V8 solution
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2012, 01:34:57 »

Hence the BMW suggestion :y.

I appreciate what you're saying about the Omega, as a car it punches well above its weight in the details. As a project, if you're going to do it, it may as well be exactly how you want it, but it will cost :-\

Otherwise you might just as well buy an eight year old M5 or E55, but guarantee that it won't be the same :-\

£2000 would buy the basic ingredients, an early E38, and a ropey Omega. Throw in a bit of time and some chin/head scratching and you'll get a working car to develop into a viable proposition. No more or less hassle than the LS,  but alot cheaper. If a 3.5 V8 fits/works in a scruffy shed, then the M5 lump should do nicely in a tidy shell. If it doesn't then you've not bankrupted yourself in the process :y
No!   ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2012, 02:10:24 »

Not seen this one before. Looks like genuine GM v8 bits from the prototype at a glance. Lingenfelter(?) bought GM's v8 spares and sold them on. To this guy by the looks. He talks about the subframe mounting the engine off centre, as the prototype pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/130818-cant-wait.htm

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2012, 11:46:16 »

as it happens, I'll be in a position to take some measurements in the next few days - for the BMW lump at least. Mind you, jumping out of the Holden into a BMW V8-powered car it does seem a bit anaemic.

Whilst the Holden is a great drive and handles very well ( at leaast on a par with a BMW ), getting ionto the Omega makes me realise just how "top-class" its handling really is.

Holden with LS1 is about 75kg lighter than standard MV6 2.6.

You're always going to struggle to find a decent V8 available with a proper gearbox. Manual 540s for instance are a whole lot more expensive than autos.

Another option would be BMW straight six, which is doable with even less effort.

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2012, 11:52:34 »

Straight 6 crossed my mind a couple of times.
But it wouldn't be quite the same, that v8 soundtrack is almost priceless IMO. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2012, 11:57:07 »

But it wouldn't be quite the same, that v8 soundtrack is almost priceless IMO. :)

V8 sound track, you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7byo9L4-Ts

(Wrong engine for the car, though, as it's a Chevy - and you wouldn't stick an old iron block V8 in an Omega)

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 11 April 2012, 16:02:28 »

Not seen this one before. Looks like genuine GM v8 bits from the prototype at a glance. Lingenfelter(?) bought GM's v8 spares and sold them on. To this guy by the looks. He talks about the subframe mounting the engine off centre, as the prototype pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/130818-cant-wait.htm
This highlights the point that I was trying to make on the exhaust thread. LHD have the space to move the engine an inch or so off centre because the ABS Pump, Brake Servo and Steering Box are on the same side. We don't get that luxury because on one side is the Brake Servo and Steering Box, and on the other is the ABS Pump, so the engine has to be central. :-/

Straight 6 would have to be the LC lump, but perhaps that also misses the point :-/.

Also not convinced that a small block V8 with DOHC has to automatically be wider/taller than a DOHC V6...

omega3000

« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2012, 16:10:16 »

V8 sound track, you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7byo9L4-Ts

(Wrong engine for the car, though, as it's a Chevy - and you wouldn't stick an old iron block V8 in an Omega)

I would  8)

Also although i like the v6 soundtrack i think a straight 6 would also be nice  8)

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2012, 16:59:57 »

Also not convinced that a small block V8 with DOHC has to automatically be wider/taller than a DOHC V6...

The GM V6 is 54º between banks while most of the V8s you listed are (AFAIK) 90º between banks - assuming the cylinders & heads are 'roughly' the same height that has to automatically make the V8s considerably wider, no?

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2012, 17:46:21 »

The GM V6 is 54º between banks while most of the V8s you listed are (AFAIK) 90º between banks - assuming the cylinders & heads are 'roughly' the same height that has to automatically make the V8s considerably wider, no?

True :y but they are a smaller capacity than Chris' LS, and therefore have a shorter stroke and smaller bores, ergo they should take up less space  :-\

Be interesting to see what 2woody reports back :y

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2012, 17:52:40 »

Anyone know the dimensions of the Lexus V8 ? Cheap as chips from an old LS400 and a cracking engine. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2012, 18:36:54 »

Anyone know the dimensions of the Lexus V8 ? Cheap as chips from an old LS400 and a cracking engine. :)

The Quadcam is a 90 degree DOHC V8 and as such not a small motor; it pretty much fills a box that is 700 mm in all dimensions and is quite literally about 30% bigger than a 350 Chev motor

And:

Comparitively, the LS-1 (and Chevy 350):

http://paceperformance.com/p-3990-engine-dimensions.html

So the 1UZ is some 7cm wider than the LS-1 while the LS-1 is a good 11cm wider than a 350. Thus making the 1UZ pretty damned huge :)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 April 2012, 19:57:16 »

An Iron-block Chevy engine of any type is ideal for use in an Omega. It's not much adrift of LS-1 in terms of power or economy and much, much cheaper to buy. It would certainly be my choice if starting tomorrow.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 April 2012, 22:19:27 »

what about weight? when I cut out the front end of my rover p6 2000 and fitted 4.9v8 the engine was roughly same weight as 2litre ??? so handling was still the same :y took longer to sort brakes out!!!!
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

feeutfo

« Reply #28 on: 12 April 2012, 11:28:00 »

There is also maintenance to concider. Chevy lump has a single cam with a very short chain drive. So very little maintenance there, just oil changes. Plugs every 50k(?).

Lexus BMW merc, not sure on the cam drive but you can guarantee the service schedule will be way shorter and less reliable. Certainly Jag chain drive is problematic and extremely expensive to repair.

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 12 April 2012, 11:35:24 »

There is also maintenance to concider. Chevy lump has a single cam with a very short chain drive. So very little maintenance there, just oil changes. Plugs every 50k(?).

Depends which Chevy lump you're talking about - the LSx yep, while an older 350 running a flat tappet cam will benefit from 'special' classic oil (high zinc content) or ZDDP additive, run copper plugs and change them every 20k. Still no great hardship and it'll still see starship mileage with regular oil changes.

All in all, though, compared to the cost of doing it all in the first place - assuming you're paying someone to do all the fab work - maintenance is a tiny consideration, even on something you have to change cam belts on..
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.