Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a cheap reliable (computer) Tablet???  (Read 4542 times)

Crazycarzowner

As above really, looking to spend about £60-£100ish???

TIA

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recommend a cheap reliable (computer) Tablet???
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2016, 16:50:30 »

These a good, there Manufacture refurbished with 12 month Warranty, the two I got last week for family members were both in brand new condition and I upgraded them to Full Win10 without issues.

They were £49 last week, but only a few left now at £54 inc free next day delivery.

TBH an Acer 8" Tablet with Quad Core and in built 32gb Storage (up to another 128gb SD Card) and Win10 you cant go wrong for the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Iconia-Tab-W1-810-8-Inch-Windows-Wifi-Tablet-32GB-/351577787871?hash=item51dbab4ddf:g:l1gAAOSw9eVXVqFL

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2016, 17:34:04 »

Not knocking it, but remember its only an Atom processor, so some websites (esp those heavily laden with ads like ebay and some forums) might make it choke a bit, along with anything intensive.

Dr G, how does W10 run on it, being only limited RAM?
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2016, 17:45:00 »

I bought one of THESE last year, plenty of refurbished ex business one about for around £140, usually with a i5 chip but mine came with a i7.

The one I bought was for work use but I do use it at home to and only cost £76, well built and runs Windows 10 no problem.

It all depends on whether you want new or want to go down the second hand/refurbished route.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2016, 17:51:20 »

I bought one of THESE last year, plenty of refurbished ex business one about for around £140, usually with a i5 chip but mine came with a i7.

The one I bought was for work use but I do use it at home to and only cost £76, well built and runs Windows 10 no problem.

It all depends on whether you want new or want to go down the second hand/refurbished route.
I'd always go for a laptop personally, due to usability and performance, but some want a tablet....

...I have a couple of HP Touchpads - the ones sold off to staff dirt cheap a few years back when HP decided it wanted to do software, not hardware (then later fired the pillock in charge, and u-turned) - which is pretty decent spec, and runs Android 4 like a dream...   ...but I still never use it.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2016, 17:54:39 »

Oh, and that'll likely be a Mobile i5/7 you have, rather than a "proper" one.  So won't perform like a desktop, but still very capable :y.  My old works Elitebook 8440p was a mobile i5 from that era, and ran like a scalded cat (with my build on, the works build was shite, and used to take ages to boot).  In fact it was far faster than the crappy brand new Lenovo T440 ultrabook trash I now have to endure.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2016, 17:56:40 »

Not knocking it, but remember its only an Atom processor, so some websites (esp those heavily laden with ads like ebay and some forums) might make it choke a bit, along with anything intensive.

Dr G, how does W10 run on it, being only limited RAM?
TBH, it does only have 1gb of RAM and yes I was a bit skeptical about upgrading and ruining Win10 (home) on it, but it runs fine and is fairly quick, handles loaded HD Videos easerly and streams ok, like you say though Ive not hammered it with heavy or strong Apps yet, for me, or rather Family members, its a Mobile device rather than a main home machine.

After the win10 upgrade, (having image backed 8 and the upgraded 10) I did a another fresh clean win10 install, the clean install takes up about 15gb of the 32gb so definitely need 32gb wouldn't want to be doing this with a 16gb Tab.

The other thing I found out unknowingly is under the installed win8 there are some Acer Apps (recovery etc) which you dont need for 10, but one was an Acer Office 360 setup, which gives 12 months of Office 16 and and 1TB of OneDrive for a year, that worth about £80 on its own, so do that before you upgrade to win10 if you getting one of these.  :y 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2016, 18:01:30 »

Taken a punt, really to replace my aging netbook that I tend to use for LPG and other car diag stuff, as it has a USB port.

Buying it with the expectation it will be shite - a) its Acer, b) 1Gb RAM - so no blame to Dr G if its hopeless :)
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2016, 18:07:12 »

Taken a punt, really to replace my aging netbook that I tend to use for LPG and other car diag stuff, as it has a USB port.

Buying it with the expectation it will be shite - a) its Acer, b) 1Gb RAM - so no blame to Dr G if its hopeless :)
Ah, cheers for that  ;D, on a plus point fairly sure these things have a 'On the Go' Port (mini to normal USB lead which your need to buy for a couple of quid), point being you should be able connect external USB devices to it, or USB Hub, for keyboard, mouse, Storage Drive etc.

Just to add being Argos it does have a 30 Days refund it your not happy.  ;)
« Last Edit: 17 June 2016, 18:13:14 by Doctor Golllum »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2016, 18:17:18 »

Ah, cheers for that  ;D, on a plus point fairly sure these things have a 'On the Go' Port (mini to normal USB lead which your need to buy for a couple of quid), point being you should be able connect external USB devices to it, or USB Hub, for keyboard, mouse, Storage Drive etc.

Just to add being Argos it does have a 30 Days refund it your not happy.  ;)
I saw it had USB, so I'll see whats what when it turns up.

I would have expected to be excluded from that returns policy, due to software licencing...  ...I could, for eg, activate the Office subscription, then send back otherwise, effectively getting a free year of Office/1Tb OneDrive.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2016, 18:48:11 »

I would have expected to be excluded from that returns policy, due to software licencing...  ...I could, for eg, activate the Office subscription, then send back otherwise, effectively getting a free year of Office/1Tb OneDrive.
Out of the two, one had the 360 in win8 and the other didn't, I found it by seeing Acer Apps were installed that I might need before doing an image BU and upgrading to win10, there was noting on the box or paperwork about the Office offer.

I created a Admin account on first time Start Up (win8) rather than signing in using a MS Account, just in case I needed anything to keep before win10, and when clicking on Office it come up with create your Acer ID account, blah, blah, and after a bit of faffing around it gave me the option of 360 and OneDrive for a year,  ;) as said the other Tablet didn't have it, so supposedly was wiped off when being refurbished  :-\.

Was toying with the idea of putting the other one back to win8 and loading the Acer stuff on it to see if it will give me the option again using a different Acer ID, but tbh now Ive put a clean Win10 on it already, not sure if I can be arsed to do it all over again,  :-\  we'll see.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2016, 18:51:21 by Doctor Golllum »

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2016, 19:06:32 »

Hmmm, thanks for the info guys, I'm still un-decided. Dunno what to do, I'll think it over and have a closer look at the options.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2016, 20:07:25 »

Oh, and that'll likely be a Mobile i5/7 you have, rather than a "proper" one.  So won't perform like a desktop, but still very capable :y.  My old works Elitebook 8440p was a mobile i5 from that era, and ran like a scalded cat (with my build on, the works build was shite, and used to take ages to boot).  In fact it was far faster than the crappy brand new Lenovo T440 ultrabook trash I now have to endure.

This is a 8460p with a i7 and it is quite snappy (for a spinner) and very well built and for anyone on a budget I`d recommend these elite books, well built and still supported by HP.

My desktop is a i5 4690K with a Samsung SSD and is like lightning  :D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2016, 09:54:37 »

My old Dell laptop and SWMBOs Kindle run fine on my router, but my ipad that my son gave me (his old one) just won,t connect any more. It was ok at first, and connects when i take it when i stay in hotels etc. Perhaps i need another router but am a bit loathe to mess up what i already have. :-\ Also i,m a bit of a Ludite as far as tech. is concerned. :-[

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2016, 10:26:18 »

My old Dell laptop and SWMBOs Kindle run fine on my router, but my ipad that my son gave me (his old one) just won,t connect any more. It was ok at first, and connects when i take it when i stay in hotels etc. Perhaps i need another router but am a bit loathe to mess up what i already have. :-\ Also i,m a bit of a Ludite as far as tech. is concerned. :-[
Two things I would check are
1. has the iPad remembered an old password for the router? My recollection is that it is a pain in the arse trying to get an iPad to take a new password if the router password changes :-\
2. is your router a dual band 2.5/5GHz router? Some routers can do both 2.5 and 5GHz at the same time, others can only do one at once - if your laptop or kindle connect first then the router will switch to whichever they ask for (which is tough if the iPad isn't set up to connect at that frequency)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.