Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good job I never offered to eat my hat  (Read 2267 times)

STEMO

Good job I never offered to eat my hat
« on: 24 June 2016, 05:49:53 »

I have seldom been so sure about anything. We were definitely going to vote to remain. I was telling wifey last night it could  be as high as 70/30 to stay. The bookies were sure, the markets were sure.
Well f**k my old boots, it's looking like it's going the other way. I don't know what to think. I am happy but shocked.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Good job I never offered to eat my hat
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2016, 06:18:59 »

The markets/pound will settle... but Northern Ireland are in for a rough ride by the looks of it with Sinn Fein calling for a united Ireland  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2016, 06:51:45 »

And 'Wee Jimmy Crankie', up here is now gonna call a second Scottish Indy Ref!  :'(
I could have sworn the last one was a 'once in a lifetime' thingy!  ::)

I'm happy if todays vote goes as it appears to be......but nervous as well!  :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2016, 07:00:22 »

If Scotland decide to have a referendum to leave the UK - again..... by all means please do, but give us back our money first :y LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2016, 07:19:24 »

I was a bit shocked, was sure it would go the other way. But, lets just get on with it.

My trip to France in July just got more expensive  >:(  But, as Dr Gollum said the dust will settle. I've seen exchange rates of almost parity with Euro and Dollar in the past and we survived. Just remember that although weak Sterling makes imports more expensive, it boosts exports and our manufactured goods become cheaper.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2016, 08:41:54 »

The markets/pound will settle... but Northern Ireland are in for a rough ride by the looks of it with Sinn Fein calling for a united Ireland  :-\

They probably wont get a vote on it, but if they do they will lose it, probably by a bigger margin than last time.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2016, 10:42:56 »

Yes I can't see any British PM worth his salt allowing another Scottish independence referendum and the noisy element of Scottish politics seem to have forgotten that they were told unequivocally by the EU that there is no fast track to EU membership.  ::)

Not that they took any notice in the first place mind as it didn't suit their independence agenda.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2016, 11:55:58 »

It looks as though Scotland, Northern Ireland, and if some people have their way, even London will leave the Uk. ::) ::) ::) ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2016, 11:59:16 »

Yes I can't see any British PM worth his salt allowing another Scottish independence referendum and the noisy element of Scottish politics seem to have forgotten that they were told unequivocally by the EU that there is no fast track to EU membership.  ::)

Not that they took any notice in the first place mind as it didn't suit their independence agenda.  ;)

I doubt the current Prime Minister or the future PM will have much say in the matter, Sir Tig.

North Of Hadrian's wall the people voted 62/38 to remain part of the EU. 

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2016, 12:00:57 »

the more I see of Nicola sturgeon the more I like her , compare her performance to that of Jeremy corbyn , the guy lost the referendum with a dire showing , trouble is I'm on the wrong side of hadrians wall , so it's a big see you jimmy ! 

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2016, 13:15:21 »

I doubt the current Prime Minister or the future PM will have much say in the matter, Sir Tig.

As far as I understand it, the UK government would have agree to another referendum north of the border and it's not the Scottish Government's decision alone.  Nicolas Sturgeon can say she'd like another referendum, but I don't think she has the power to call one that has any legal standing.

I think we'll need a hard nosed bastard as our PM for the next few years and one who isn't bothered about popularity or looking cool! Micheal Gove anyone?   ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2016, 13:33:51 »

the more I see of Nicola sturgeon the more I like her , compare her performance to that of Jeremy corbyn , the guy lost the referendum with a dire showing , trouble is I'm on the wrong side of hadrians wall , so it's a big see you jimmy !

Hmmmmmm, I'd need to be pretty desperate myself  :o
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2016, 13:33:53 »

I think we'll need a hard nosed bastard as our PM for the next few years and one who isn't bothered about popularity or looking cool! Michael Gove anyone?   ???

That hard-nosed bastard will also need a clear idea of what direction to take, a workable plan to achieve it, and the political clout within the Conservative party to force through all of the unpalatable decisions over the next four years. He will need to have an efficient way of becoming the Conservative leader in the first place.

After riding into 10 Downing St on his own personal unicorn, his first speech should be to explain what the opps he has been doing for the last two years.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2016, 13:51:12 »

As far as I understand it, the UK government would have agree to another referendum north of the border and it's not the Scottish Government's decision alone.  Nicolas Sturgeon can say she'd like another referendum, but I don't think she has the power to call one that has any legal standing.

I think we'll need a hard nosed bastard as our PM for the next few years and one who isn't bothered about popularity or looking cool! Micheal Gove anyone?   ???

Very true.

But I think government would find it hard to refuse the 'wee scots lass'.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2016, 16:13:24 »

I was too young to vote in 1975, have no illusions what the EU is and isn't and have therefore waited for this day in history for along time. When I saw the collective wisdom of the UK people's votes pass 16.8m it brought a tear to my eye. :) I kept my voting card which I shall frame to mark this historic event. :y :y :y

The markets have overreacted which is what they like as it is profit territory for them, especially the banks. Watch it move back to as before as that is where they make their money. ::) :o

Scotland can't have another vote without UK Parliament legislation which IMO is unlikely. Will hard hit Scottish fishermen want to escape CFP to be under it again? Would HBOS and RBS be prepared to stay in Scotland with the Euro and hostile EU when the majority of their business is in UK, especially City of London? What would Scotland use as an interim currency until they eventually joined the EU and Euro?

Now the hard work begins on negotiating the Brexit. I expect the EU over the next 10 years to shrink as more countries leave with probably The Netherlands next, but where the change from the EEC to the EU and Euro has been an absolute disaster for much of the Continent I wouldn't rule out a total collapse. In the 1930's we were one of the first to leave the Gold Standard, so our recession was mild, the French were one of the last to leave with a major economic depression, with their predecessor to the Euro the Latin Monetary Unit also collapsing. ???
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.