Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Article 50  (Read 14552 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Article 50
« on: 25 June 2016, 12:10:12 »

It seems to me that Britain is suggesting we can implement article 50 'at a time of our choosing'.Perhaps triggering article 50 When a new prime minister is elected (as voted  by members of the Conservative party only)......or even after a general election is called.

The European view is somewhat different.......You voted to leave  the EU so either 'piss or get off the pot'.

I have to say that I can see their point of view. The uncertainty is affecting their markets as much as ours.

Let's get on with it.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2016, 12:15:56 by Doctor Opti »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Article 50
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2016, 12:16:59 »

Isn't it great?

We vote to leave, but choose when. Welcome to the new DK - the Disunited Kingdom or Minor Britain, either will do

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2016, 12:21:31 »

My guess is if we piss about for too long the other 27 countries will vote and then implement article 50 for us.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2016, 12:49:58 »

:( I have the horrible feeling they will wreak a terrible revenge on us , the mayor of Calais is already making noises about withdrawing the French police from around the port area , leaving us to fight the buggers off when they get to Dover , this could get nasty  :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2016, 12:57:32 »

:( I have the horrible feeling they will wreak a terrible revenge on us , the mayor of Calais is already making noises about withdrawing the French police from around the port area , leaving us to fight the buggers off when they get to Dover , this could get nasty  :(

Yep. There will be tears before bedtime.

Let us hope that the transition is temporary and (relatively) painless.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2016, 13:01:28 »

My guess is if we piss about for too long the other 27 countries will vote and then implement article 50 for us.

And we will.
Here's my prediction for the next 12months:

For the next three months we get to watch the Conservative party tear itself apart electing a new leader.

Whichever ambitious opportunist gets the job will spend the first month publicly congratulating everyone how it's going to be great.

His second month will consist of him realising that he's grabbed a poisoned chalice, and that nobody has any idea of what to do.

There will six months of allegiances, bust ups, whinging, and posturing but no useful work being done. Typical politics.

And then the EU will demand a final exit date. And having used up whatever goodwill we might currently have, any negotiations won't go well for us.

Short term, say 2 years, nothing much will change.
Medium term, 2 to 10 years, we're oppsed.
Long term after that, who knows? We might come out of it with a new King, strong government, healthy economy, effective relations with the rest of the world and an endless supply of sparkling rhubarb wine to celebrate with. Of those, only one has any certainty.

ted_one

« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2016, 13:26:06 »

There seems to be a general air of apathy about what and who is planning/ or what they are going to do to us...So why not be a bit more positive and make some contingency plans as to what we can do to 'them' Think the words I'm looking for could be like...grow a pair or a backbone,stand your ground,don't be so bloody weak willed,and remember do unto others before they do unto you. After all they are just a bunch of corrupt cowardly pussies,that have used their powers to hold this country back, and why?? because they hate the sight of us,always have and always will. It's all about the money, as we are the second largest contributor to what really is in essence a collection of countries with failing economies...with exception  to a very few of course..so let's see how much muscle we have if we have if the need comes to push back. >:( :y I have a comprehensive collection of hand gestures that for a small fee I will stand on the white cliffs of Dover and point them in the general direction of our aggressors...as long as it ain't raining :P ::)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2016, 14:01:03 »

It seems to me that Britain is suggesting we can implement article 50 'at a time of our choosing'.Perhaps triggering article 50 When a new prime minister is elected (as voted  by members of the Conservative party only)......or even after a general election is called.

The European view is somewhat different.......You voted to leave  the EU so either 'piss or get off the pot'.

I have to say that I can see their point of view. The uncertainty is affecting their markets as much as ours.

Let's get on with it.
The UK has had a Referendum, thats nothing to do with Brussels or the EU, its an internal affair. Brussels can involved on the time scales after only after the UK says 'OK we Officially want to be out of the EU now'.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2016, 14:06:46 by Doctor Golllum »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2016, 14:02:56 »

It is up to the Government of the day to decide when to invoke Article 50, and clearly it is in the UK's interests to do so when it suits us and not the rest of the EU. We now call the shots on the timing, which will no doubt irritate many such as Juncker, but since the rest of the EU has, in terms of trade, everything to gain by ensuring a smooth Brexit, protecting, for example, Germany's exports of luxury cars to the UK, I expect the majority European politicians will act in a grown up manner, if only to protect their own interests. :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2016, 14:08:37 »

There seems to be a general air of apathy about what and who is planning/ or what they are going to do to us...So why not be a bit more positive and make some contingency plans as to what we can do to 'them' Think the words I'm looking for could be like...grow a pair or a backbone,stand your ground,don't be so bloody weak willed,and remember do unto others before they do unto you. After all they are just a bunch of corrupt cowardly pussies,that have used their powers to hold this country back, and why?? because they hate the sight of us,always have and always will. It's all about the money, as we are the second largest contributor to what really is in essence a collection of countries with failing economies...with exception  to a very few of course..so let's see how much muscle we have if we have if the need comes to push back. >:( :y I have a comprehensive collection of hand gestures that for a small fee I will stand on the white cliffs of Dover and point them in the general direction of our aggressors...as long as it ain't raining :P ::)

Here here, carried and 2nd, we have stood at Dover on many occasions and watch Europe, self implode, we can do the same again, then go in, again and sweep up the mess, and start all over again 'a railway carriage in Versailles" alway seems a good area to sign treaty's.
Hoof'land storeman.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2016, 14:09:39 »

It is up to the Government of the day to decide when to invoke Article 50, and clearly it is in the UK's interests to do so when it suits us and not the rest of the EU. We now call the shots on the timing, which will no doubt irritate many such as Juncker, but since the rest of the EU has, in terms of trade, everything to gain by ensuring a smooth Brexit, protecting, for example, Germany's exports of luxury cars to the UK, I expect the majority European politicians will act in a grown up manner, if only to protect their own interests. :y

I'm not sure about that.

I imagine that the people who voted to leave want it to happen sooner rather than later

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2016, 14:16:57 »

I'm not sure about that.

I imagine that the people who voted to leave want it to happen sooner rather than later
Indeed, but better to take stock and approach it systematically than to rush headlong into a complete farce...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2016, 14:22:18 »

And we will.

For the next three months we get to watch the Conservative party tear itself apart electing a new leader.

Whichever ambitious opportunist gets the job will spend the first month publicly congratulating everyone how it's going to be great.

His second month will consist of him realising that he's grabbed a poisoned chalice, and that nobody has any idea of what to do.

There will six months of allegiances, bust ups, whinging, and posturing but no useful work being done. Typical politics.

And then the EU will demand a final exit date. And having used up whatever goodwill we might currently have, any negotiations won't go well for us.

Long term after that, who knows? We might come out of it with a new King, strong government, healthy economy, effective relations with the rest of the world and an endless supply of sparkling rhubarb wine to celebrate with. Of those, only one has any certainty.

You missed one bit. Then that leader of the Tories will get the boot. The next election with a new party leader will be fought on a platform of overturning the still in limbo exit. We will go back having never actually left but on worse terms than we had. They have already worsened a bit.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2016, 14:31:30 »

Let's get on with it.
The UK has had a Referendum, thats nothing to do with Brussels or the EU, its an internal affair. Brussels can involved on the time scales after only after the UK says 'OK we Officially want to be out of the EU now'.

Some in Brussels are saying the fact that we have already voted to leave is enough to start the clock.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2016, 14:40:46 »

And we will.

You missed one bit. Then that leader of the Tories will get the boot. The next election with a new party leader will be fought on a platform of overturning the still in limbo exit. We will go back having never actually left but on worse terms than we had. They have already worsened a bit.

My post was already turning into too much of a rant, so I omitted that part. It will be one of the medium term problems.

This is going to be a difficult process, with many unpopular decisions to be made. That will require strong leadership and the political clout to enforce it. So far nobody has shown any. That's the main reason that the Leave campaign convinced me to vote Remain.

I hope that I'm wrong about all this, and that our government(and the rest of us!) can make it work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.