Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Article 50  (Read 14576 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Article 50
« Reply #45 on: 25 June 2016, 23:07:00 »

I'm not going to post much but...

A referendum is just an opinion poll, there is no obligation to follow through and it could indeed be ignored - I hope not, despite feeling the result was not the right one for the U.K. Mainly because I researched the leave campaign and could find not one single element of truth!

The petition is to follow EU guidelines  (::))  because the majority was so slim and the turnout under 75%

Scarily, a massive surge in UK searches of "what is the EU" yesterday gives cause for doubt over whether people even know what they were voting on! That coupled with the pro Brexit people who have come forwards and admitted they have made a mistake :-X

All I know is that I fear for the future...

I should add, I still don't understand why 16 and 17 year olds weren't given the opportunity to vote like they were for the Scottish referendum.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2016, 23:18:20 by NewbieDocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 June 2016, 23:12:52 »

Prof Brian Cox has wondered on Twitter about what will happen if more than 17.4 million people sign the petition!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 26 June 2016, 00:05:15 »

Scarily, a massive surge in UK searches of "what is the EU" yesterday gives cause for doubt over whether people even know what they were voting on! That coupled with the pro Brexit people who have come forwards and admitted they have made a mistake :-X

Ah, the old 'Manoeuvre, Mirror, Signal' routine, closely followed by the 'What happened there then, didn't see that one coming' excuse.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 26 June 2016, 01:50:18 »

It is in the EU's interest to have an orderly exit for the UK. Merkel has suggested EU and UK take their time and get it right. This makes sense as the EU sells much more to us than we do to them. Our balance of payments are in surplus with ROW, it is trade with EU that causes our worrying overall balance of payments deficit.

We are Germany's 3rd biggest export market after the US and France.

German export and import trade figures can be viewed here: https://www.destatis.de/EN/FactsFigures/NationalEconomyEnvironment/ForeignTrade/TradingPartners/Tables/OrderRankGermanyTradingPartners.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Their positive trade balance (exports - imports) with UK in 2015 was €127 612 593 000 €127.6bn, which they won't want to jeopardise.

Dr Richard North with his Flexcit plan is the only coherent, considered one I have seen:

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfEo_TNllk4

429 page .pdf: http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf

He explains how EEA is the only practical route for a 2 year negotiating window, with the longer term aim of an EFTA agreement. It took Switzerland 16 years to negotiate their EFTA!

Before we press the article 50 button it makes sense to have pre-article 50 discussions to outline the scope of the talks and setting a schedule. The only country that will probably be awkward is France and that won't be personal as their politicians try to shaft everybody.

I think the onus is on the UK to press the Article 50 button when we are ready. Once the preliminary talks have finished I don't see any point in dragging our heels.

I get the impression that the EU will be glad to see the back of us, so they can get on unfettered with building the EUSSR, which they need to do as the Euro is not sustainable without fiscal transfers, joint-and-severable pooled sovereign bonds and sovereign debt write-offs for those above 120% of GDP. Now we can no longer be tapped up to contribute our share, Germany will have to be the main source of supplying many of the Euro countries with lots of free money, think PIIGS plus France. After German reunification and tax rises, the German taxpayers don't think it is a swell idea that they are the free money providers but I'm sure war guilt will prevail again. However, if they don't then the Euro can't work and survive. Common taxation to remove tax competition will also be introduced which will screw Ireland's and Malta's low corporation tax based economies, but more free German money should smooth that over and likewise transition rates and lower taxes in very high tax countries like France (56% of GDP) will be solved with even more free German money. I'm sure the good old German taxpayer won't mind having pay an extra €3bn in fees to replace ours and another round or ten of ever higher EU unification taxes. ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 26 June 2016, 10:46:43 »

According to reports today, Nicola Sturgeon has been told by the European Commission that the EU negotiates with member states and not regions of member states.  Ouch!
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 26 June 2016, 11:02:50 »

??? It's going to take some very big politicians to step up to the plate and get this sorted out , do we have any of the stature required ? Farage and his ilk are already backpedalling as if they never really expected to win and now find themselves in a " oh s**t" what do we do now situation  :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26 June 2016, 13:58:33 »

According to reports today, Nicola Sturgeon has been told by the European Commission that the EU negotiates with member states and not regions of member states.  Ouch!

Yes, just in case the Catalans are listening... ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26 June 2016, 14:04:24 »

I read that some MPs are saying the government should go against the vote and stay in the EU

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26 June 2016, 14:16:03 »

I read that some MPs are saying the government should go against the vote and stay in the EU
They could do that, the referendum is a public poll after all, it would be suicidal for any Government to not to take action after its told the public to vote on something though.

Its not unheard of though, its been done in other Countries, they keep having a public vote on the same theme until they get the desired result.

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 June 2016, 14:31:02 »

A theory government rejects the vote to leave then calls a general election and start all the shit again 

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 26 June 2016, 14:39:04 »

They wont ignore or reject the vote. They could however delay invoking article 50 long enough for people to forget exactly who voted for what, and then water the thing down to  keep us half in, half out.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 26 June 2016, 14:41:58 »

A theory government rejects the vote to leave then calls a general election and start all the shit again
Messy, but possible, probably more do able in the 'New' PM seriously delays triggering Article 50, talks with EU fall down or dont even happen, more shite goes on, and an early general election is called.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 26 June 2016, 15:06:57 »

Messy, but possible, probably more do able in the 'New' PM seriously delays triggering Article 50, talks with EU fall down or dont even happen, more shite goes on, and an early general election is called.

Except we have the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 to deal with first. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/14/section/2/enacted

The government cannot call an early general election unless either 66.6% of MP's agree, or they repeal the act, or there is a vote of no confidence.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26 June 2016, 15:10:22 »

Except we have the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 to deal with first. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/14/section/2/enacted

The government cannot call an early general election unless either 66.6% of MP's agree, or they repeal the act, or there is a vote of no confidence.
Well thats ok, because we wont have 66.6 MP's soon, if they keep resigning.  :D
« Last Edit: 26 June 2016, 15:18:04 by Doctor Golllum »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26 June 2016, 15:31:18 »

Well thats ok, because we wont have 66.6 MP's soon, if they keep resigning.  :D

Nope - read the act. Para 2.1.b says
if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.