Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car and bike memory.  (Read 6810 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Car and bike memory.
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2021, 19:49:45 »

In 1979, I bought a Mini 850 for my wife to learn to drive in (I had a Mini Cooper S then and she wasn't learning in that!). It was reg DON932C. Tried to sell it later to a work mate called Don, but he wasnt interested, so I just flogged it with the car.
A few years later I bought a Triumph 2000 with the reg PAT100M. Thought it would be good for my wife (for obvious reasons ;D) but she wasn't bothered about a personal registration, so again I let it go with the car :(
That was two mistakes I made.....

Bought my missus her private plate in 1987 for £400, reg transfers valued it at £3000 a couple of years ago .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2021, 20:07:39 »

Mine was a black Sunbeam Ti, BKU607T.

Out of the thirty+ cars I've owned, it's half of the the ones I wish I still had.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2021, 20:24:11 »

B581GWB first car.

B626VCL test pass.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2021, 21:02:34 »

First (road legal) moped a mighty Casal.  ::)   KOI 9119. Bought new October 1975 for £180.
First car. HB Viva.  BIJ 8142. Bought from the next door neighbour in 1977 (7 years old) for £70.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2021, 21:15:15 »

In 1979, I bought a Mini 850 for my wife to learn to drive in (I had a Mini Cooper S then and she wasn't learning in that!). It was reg DON932C. Tried to sell it later to a work mate called Don, but he wasnt interested, so I just flogged it with the car.
A few years later I bought a Triumph 2000 with the reg PAT100M. Thought it would be good for my wife (for obvious reasons ;D) but she wasn't bothered about a personal registration, so again I let it go with the car :(
That was two mistakes I made.....

Bought my missus her private plate in 1987 for £400, reg transfers valued it at £3000 a couple of years ago .
A modest profit then...
https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1987
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2021, 21:30:24 »

My first car was a Mini GDK198D, which had more filler in it than metal (almost), but I took my test (and passed) in a newer Mini ODK959M. .....

both DK .... Rochdale registrations  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2021, 21:32:33 »

.....First bike Honda 175 CD[couldn't afford the CB version] KBM 89 G. ....

I had one of them for my first bike too ... SEK 845N  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2021, 00:12:44 »

My first wheels was a 250cc Greeves sport road bike with a Villiers twin 2 stroke engine. VER 653. My first and only bike.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2021, 00:41:56 »

My first car was a Mini GDK198D, which had more filler in it than metal (almost), but I took my test (and passed) in a newer Mini ODK959M. .....

You're right Andy - where I was born and bred. EN was Bury as I recollect.
In those days the registration indicated where you were from, as most people bought from local garages, and when sold, cars tended to stay locally as cars for sale were generally only advertised in local newspapers. The internet has obviously changed all that and car adverts in local newspapers are a thing of the past. The nearest you get to local registrations is the county or metropolitan district identifiers.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2021, 08:22:15 »

In those days the registration indicated where you were from, as most people bought from local garages, and when sold, cars tended to stay locally as cars for sale were generally only advertised in local newspapers. The internet has obviously changed all that and car adverts in local newspapers are a thing of the past. The nearest you get to local registrations is the county or metropolitan district identifiers.
Correct  :y The Mayoral car used to have EN1 on it ... on loan apparently.
I remember DK being Rochdale as my Dad worked for various funeral firms in & around Rochdale and many of the ir cars had DK registrations .... even a crappy old Bedford van 2538 DK - no idea why I can remember that!  ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2021, 08:35:20 »

We've made it easy wifey has had her plate since 1987 and I have two, one on retention certificate and the other on the RR both bought from DVLA in 1999, so as long as we keep the dreaded Dementia at bay we should remember them..
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 08:37:39 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2021, 08:44:56 »

We've made it easy wifey has had her plate since 1987 and I have two, one on retention certificate and the other on the RR both bought from DVLA in 1999, so as long as we keep the dreaded Dementia at bay we should remember them..

I'm bl**dy hopeless now with our cars' registrations, it doesn't help that one starts DL & another starts DN. It's a good job I can easily find them on my phone!  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2021, 10:19:22 »

GRL779N Yam FS1E 1st motorised set of wheels,739TRL Morris 1100  1st car  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2021, 10:22:08 »

GRL779N Yam FS1E 1st motorised set of wheels,739TRL Morris 1100  1st car  :y
My 1st car, too. Big end went on the M6 at Coleshill in 1973. I abandoned it on the hard shoulder and hitched a lift to Liverpool.
Diesel till I die

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2021, 10:31:56 »

Correct  :y The Mayoral car used to have EN1 on it ... on loan apparently.
I remember DK being Rochdale as my Dad worked for various funeral firms in & around Rochdale and many of the ir cars had DK registrations .... even a crappy old Bedford van 2538 DK - no idea why I can remember that!  ;D

There was a car / van rental place on Oldham Road in Rochdale near to Tom Mellor Ford whose fleet of vehicles were registered 1111DK, 2222DK, 3333DK, etc and then the reverse DK1111, DK2222, DK3333 etc. In those days, you just approached the local vehicle taxation office (in the case of Rochdale, in the magnificent Town Hall), and if the number wasn't allocated, for a nominal fee of £5.00 (from memory) you could have it. Try doing that today.....
In the 50's, my father had a Morris Minor with DDK157. He (wierdly) bought an Austin 1800 in 1965 from Ratcliffe Bros. on Halifax Rd in Rochdale and managed to get DDK157C just by 'asking'. My mother also bought a Lambretta 125 scooter from Robinsons in Rochdale around the same time, and got DDK57C on it!
Dispite doing all this, when they were sold, he just let them go with their registration still on them. I suppose, there wasn't the interest in them then.
The surname of a wartime friend of my father was ROW - he approached Birmingham tax office in the good old days, and for a miniscule amount came away with ROW 7.
Talking of Bury registrations - there was an 'interesting' reg knocking around the Burnley area for years in the 80' and 90' s - TEN10T. Not seen it now for years.
I don't particularly see the liking for these abstract personalised registrations people put on their cars that mean absolutely nothing, however an ''interesting' registration, I get..........to a point....

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.