Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New discs & pads fitted  (Read 4694 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: New discs & pads fitted
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2009, 22:07:21 »

looks almost exactly the same as mine, maybe a little better, certainly the same issue. I dont suppose you re in a position to measure the disc thickness? See how much ware we are not being allowed the use of...?
 Would have measured mine but they are down the tip.

I found my 25 - 50 mic  :y. As far in as I can measure my old discs, which is in from the un-worn section of the inboard side of the disc, they were down to 24.75mm ....  min thickness according to Mr Haynes is 25mm. :-?  ::)  :y  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2009, 22:20:25 »

Somehow missed the OE -v- TC club thread....  As far as i can suss, its only the leading edge of the TC pads that have a heavy chamfer thus, as far as I can deduce, should have no appreciable effect on the braking ewffort once properly bedded in, or am I missing something??

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2009, 22:25:18 »

Somehow missed the OE -v- TC club thread....  As far as i can suss, its only the leading edge of the TC pads that have a heavy chamfer thus, as far as I can deduce, should have no appreciable effect on the braking ewffort once properly bedded in, or am I missing something??

The linings must be a different to, GC/Omegatoy ays the OE don't produce as much dust either and have a better 'bite'. There again, so do TC pads when they're working on 100% of both sides of the disc.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2009, 22:26:15 »

Suggest a re read. :-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2009, 22:34:26 »

see your point with the micrometer.

Anyway, think its safe to assume the trace club pads are a false economy. Not to mention the poor performance they give even when new.
eh? nought wrong with mine

Oh yes, you've been away havent you.

Have a look here J.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244128955
There have been a couple of posts recently showing discs in very similar condition to Andys, mine included. It would seem the after market pads used in these cases are the common denominator.
This has led me, on omegatoys recommendation, to fit oe pads, at £70 a set. Bloody steep, no need to tell me. But these oe pads, although not yet bedded in already give a marked improvement in feel and power at the pedal. There is also a suggestion, although only by a parts man, that only these pads should be used with vented discs.

But these are all minor details really. Whats important is that several members have experienced the inside edge disc failure and loss of performance that goes with it. The reason would appear to be break up on the corresponding pad, mine showed evidence of lumps missing.

Only time will tell if the new pads cure it. But, lets just say, i think is wise the check the inside face of all 4 of your discs paying special attention to the 10 mill nearest the outer edge.
I have used TC pads for the last 5yrs, with no issues (other than premature replacement due to overheating occasionally), never had that disc issue on the MV6. Changed the discs twice, once due to wear, and once because the pattern ones I put on where shite (themselves replaced/skimmed).

The tractor came with discs in that condition, replacement and a brake service cured that.

I am content with the TC pads (and discs), the OE pads are more than I would pay, as I guess I will still shag them quickly. Braking performance (before cooking them) is excellent.
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2009, 22:35:14 »

Suggest a re read. :-)

subtle as a boot in the 'dangle berries'.... keep taking the tablets.......   ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2009, 22:47:40 »

ok, full tablet version. The aftermarket pads are chamfered on both leading and trailing edges as is clearly shown in the picture. The oe pads have no chamfer. There by giving roughly a 1/3 increase in area. Maybe the picture thread didnt load correctly?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2009, 23:15:53 »

I find it somewhat interesting that the TC ones are chamfered as a  squeal reduction idea .. but the OE ones are not ... and don't squeal .....

Even though the materials must be different I wonder why ???

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2009, 23:40:05 »

as you say Entwood. I wondered if this is down to cost. Its cheaper, i guess, to fit one glued on shim and remove 1/3 of the pad area on the aftermarket pads than it is to rivet shims to all four pads and give the full pad area to use as on oe.

Must say I find it strange to dismiss the performance of oe without haveing tried them. Esp. given omegatoys recommendation. The price on the other hand, well thats another story.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2009, 23:43:38 »

Sorry to sound silly - 

TC pads - tradeclub?
OE - where do you get those? Dealers?

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2009, 00:18:14 »

in short yes and yes.

The cheaper, crap pads are defo on trade club and referred to as aftermarket.
The expensive pads are referred to as o.e. There seems to be some confusion as to weather these are on trace club. Andy c says not, but my dealer quoted £100 plus on retail. He then quoted 70 odd plus expensis  on trade club. So i guess they are, at my dealer anyway. Hth

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2009, 00:23:04 »

Trade club pads are exactly that.  Pads supplied to the trade so as to repair existing cars with assorted wear patterns on discs.  OE pads are Original Equipement and are as per the original assembly line specification.  The TC pads have a substantial chamfer on the leading and trailing edge so as to bed in better on esisting pads.  The OE pads are straight edged with no chamfer.  Whether the pad composition is the same or othertwise is another matter, however.

Personally, had no probs with the TC disc/pad kits as I tend to bed the pads and discs in genmtly before subjecting them to maximum braking effect in any event....

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2009, 01:06:57 »

Trade club pads are exactly that.  Pads supplied to the trade so as to repair existing cars with assorted wear patterns on discs.  OE pads are Original Equipement and are as per the original assembly line specification.  The TC pads have a substantial chamfer on the leading and trailing edge so as to bed in better on esisting pads.  The OE pads are straight edged with no chamfer.  Whether the pad composition is the same or othertwise is another matter, however.

Personally, had no probs with the TC disc/pad kits as I tend to bed the pads and discs in genmtly before subjecting them to maximum braking effect in any event....

So can we explane why aftermarket/trade club pads are sold in the set with new discs? And why vx dealers ask if you have vented rear discs, as they take different pads to aftermarket items (oe in fact)

I can understand the chamfer being there to a point but it does seem ott. The pads will be well bedded in long before the bottom of the chamfer will be reached. Its a lazy way to do it, imho if the pads had direction arrows on them, effectively making them sided, then the chamfer would only be needed on the leading edge, as opposed to the trailing edge and only needs be be a fraction of its current size. But none of this explains why both Entwood and Kevin Woods pads squeal so loudly.

But regardless, we are missing the point somewhat,
Oe have superior performance. The whole dead spot of pedal travel where previously nothing happened has now gone. Replaced by progressive powerfull feel, i havent yet given them a proper work out though as they have only done 100 odd miles .

Having driven Kevins car and mine back to back i can honestly say i felt no difference between my brakes and his at the time, mine where worn his where new with the aftermarket. Mine did degenerate rapidly there after though.

Fitting oe to the rear as they should be with vented showed a better feel. This improvement didnt show when the aftermarket pads from the set where fitted. Def an improvement when oe fitted though.

And yes the compound is defo different, visually anyway. Less brass looking bits in the oe, this does not really show in the picture. Definately no "wood" in the oe compound anyway. :-)

feeutfo

« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2009, 01:16:44 »

you say you have never had a problem with aftermarket pads, just a small point. If we never use anything different we will never know any different surely? Im fairly confident if oe where used we would soon see a problem with aftermarket.
 But as said, price is another matter. Although if omegatoy is right, and he has been so far, then long term we may well be better off.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 June 2009, 18:38:00 »

Does it matter what is included in the disc kits? Is it relevent?

The fact is, you have found something that suits you :)

Like Hotel21, I am delighted with the TC stuff, though I do tend to glaze them a bit if I'm in a hurry ::).  If I overcook them, I slap a new set on, not an issue at £12 a pop.  I am delighted with the braking performance up until the point they cook - I guess to get better than this would be in the realms of track pads, with the issues that presents.

Having driven Omegatoys rather speedy estate tractor, I don't think the brakes are any better or any worse than mine, though I guess his comments about less brake dust means less servicing, but thats not a problem anyway.

I have had pattern discs and pads on my MV6, so do know what real crap brakes are ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.