Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New discs & pads fitted  (Read 4702 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: New discs & pads fitted
« Reply #30 on: 15 June 2009, 18:39:55 »

And chrisgixer, you can't really compare the braking performance, as your old discs were shot to bits?
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #31 on: 15 June 2009, 19:34:01 »

Does it matter what is included in the disc kits? Is it relevent?
Yes!
1, every time i ask for pads they want to know if the rear discs are vented.
so they know what pads to sell you, vented discs means oe pads they say.
2, the same vented discs are in the box for the front axle but sold with, if the above is true, THE WRONG PADS!  ie aftermarket/tradeclub.

By Mr 21s own quote..."Trade club pads are exactly that.  Pads supplied to the trade so as to repair existing cars with assorted wear patterns on discs" ie not new, but part worn discs...

So why are they sold with new discs in the kit if they are "for non vented "or "part worn discs"...? purely because of price at the expence of all else it seems, icludeing a certain amount of safety given the wear pattern seen on Andy Bs and my discs, all be it below the disc wear limit. Unfortunately i didnt measure mine before binning them :-[

Ultimately... Why are we seeing this wear pattern on the inboard face of the outer edge of all 4 discs when using aftermarket pads? and why are they sqeeling so badly in some cases?....is it because they are the wrong pads for new /vented discs?....or are they just crap in general?...are they different spec of late?...or is it purely the discs are under the wear limit? omegatoy says not, hes been bang on so far.

If you want to do a back to back test i still have the aftermarket pads. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 June 2009, 20:08:14 »

Yes!
2, the same vented discs are in the box for the front axle but sold with, if the above is true, THE WRONG PADS!  ie aftermarket/tradeclub.

By Mr 21s own quote..."Trade club pads are exactly that.  Pads supplied to the trade so as to repair existing cars with assorted wear patterns on discs" ie not new, but part worn discs...

So why are they sold with new discs in the kit if they are "for non vented "or "part worn discs"...? purely because of price at the expence of all else it seems, icludeing a certain amount of safety given the wear pattern seen on Andy Bs and my discs, all be it below the disc wear limit. Unfortunately i didnt measure mine before binning them :-[

Ultimately... Why are we seeing this wear pattern on the inboard face of the outer edge of all 4 discs when using aftermarket pads? and why are they sqeeling so badly in some cases?....is it because they are the wrong pads for new /vented discs?....or are they just crap in general?...are they different spec of late?...or is it purely the discs are under the wear limit? omegatoy says not, hes been bang on so far.

I have seen that odd inside disc damage on Omegas that have never had the pads replaced. It is unrelated to the pads from what I have seen
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2009, 20:24:56 »

I have seen that odd inside disc damage on Omegas that have never had the pads replaced. It is unrelated to the pads from what I have seen

I agree.  Have seen the same on many a car where it sits idle for days on end over an extended period and the calipers get little or no cleaning/maintenance until the pads wear out and go metal to metal.

I remain unconvinced that its down to type/make/co,pound of the pads.  Its plain poor maintenance/use, in my experience...

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 15 June 2009, 20:28:40 »

Yes!

Bah, no conspiracy then.... ;D

Still leaves the sqeel and poor performance, and yes i have compared both sets of pads with new discs.  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 June 2009, 22:38:35 »

Have seen the same on many a car where it sits idle for days on end over an extended period and  .......

That sums my Omega up then!  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 June 2009, 22:55:53 »

Still leaves the sqeel and poor performance, and yes i have compared both sets of pads with new discs.  :)

Just checked my records and had a feel of my disks. Disks and pads changed 11K ago, loads of brake dust and squealing since and there's a worrying wear ridge on the outer edge of the inside of one of the front disks.  ::)

I wonder if there has been a recent change in the quality of these pads.. like there has been with the exhausts, etc?

Just wonder if it's only those of us who have fitted them relatively recently who are moaning?

I have to say I'm not unhappy with the braking performance, if you can stand the din. Perhaps I should just take to driving this car with the ear defenders in, like I do the Westfield.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 June 2009, 23:05:01 »

Perhaps I should just take to driving this car with the ear defenders in, like I do the Westfield.

Kevin

[size=14]YER WHAT? SAY AGAIN!!!!![/size]  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: 15 June 2009, 23:05:14 by Andy_B »

feeutfo

« Reply #38 on: 16 June 2009, 00:16:29 »

I agree.  Have seen the same on many a car where it sits idle for days on end over an extended period and the calipers get little or no cleaning/maintenance until the pads wear out and go metal to metal.

I remain unconvinced that its down to type/make/co,pound of the pads.  Its plain poor maintenance/use, in my experience...

A few mentions of lack of use on previous threads, more than possible on my car, the under side is not great and gives the impression of some standing time or salt exposure either sea or grit. Regards maintenance, in my case there is no sign of any neglect other than the funny wear pattern and age, sliders well greased, pistons retract very easily, the outside disc face is fine, just mullered as shown. There was plenty of meat left on both pads, the wear sensor was only tripped by the raised area of strange wear. If the wear was even on the inboard edge the sensor would not have tripped. There in lies a clue imho.

For the wear to leave a raised area on the disc the pad has to be clear of the disc in that area, lower basically. I posted pics on my thread showing the pads with signs of lumps missing. Although impossible to tell if the disc had damaged the pad causing the missing lump or it fell away for some other reason. Frost possibly? But the pad surely must be missing in that area for the swept area to reduce as it has.

In Kevins case i doubt he has a maintenance issue or that his car is left standing for unreasonable amounts of time. If the wear line is showing after 11k then somethings def not right, and probably worth a warranty claim...?

« Last Edit: 16 June 2009, 00:21:18 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 16 June 2009, 00:32:53 »

Just checked my records and had a feel of my disks. Disks and pads changed 11K ago, loads of brake dust and squealing since and there's a worrying wear ridge on the outer edge of the inside of one of the front disks.  ::)

Ill bet a small pint( ;) ) there is a lump or area missing on the corresponding pad....? (only a small pint mind :-) no one will notice )

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 June 2009, 19:51:47 »

I wonder if there has been a recent change in the quality of these pads.. like there has been with the exhausts, etc?

Just wonder if it's only those of us who have fitted them relatively recently who are moaning?

I have to say I'm not unhappy with the braking performance, if you can stand the din. Perhaps I should just take to driving this car with the ear defenders in, like I do the Westfield.

Kevin
Last changed my pads about 2 months ago (cooked previous set again), previous set a few months before that, discs about a year ago.  Rarely had any squeal with genuine stuff  :-/

Think that rules out the latest stuff, unless its because I don't get that much use from the pads...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 June 2009, 19:54:28 »

This latest set of TC pads are different from the last. Last set I bought had directional arrows on 2 of them, those fitted at the week end didn't have any.
And I've never had any squeal from either front or back brakes.

feeutfo

« Reply #42 on: 16 June 2009, 20:36:45 »

This latest set of TC pads are different from the last. Last set I bought had directional arrows on 2 of them, those fitted at the week end didn't have any.
And I've never had any squeal from either front or back brakes.
Same here, re arrows.....and squeak :-)

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 June 2009, 20:37:50 »

Well, I put TC discs and pads on mine at 160k and I am now on 188 with the same set - never squeaked, have gone a bit hot on occasion but generally performed well. I personally don't feel the need to ugrade to OE, esecially at 6 times the price.

Perhaps I'm just gentle on them  :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #44 on: 16 June 2009, 21:11:22 »

they certainly are expensive, made by Jurid for GM going by the markings on the back. Having tried both sets back to back on the same new discs oe are better, less pedal pressure for better more progressive bite, make the old pads feel wooden, or contaminated with oil, they just dont generate the friction imho, something i have been moaning about since i joined oof. Well happy now though. :-) if a little light in the wallet.

Should add oe do not need any heat in them to work. Something associated with anything other than aftermarket/trade club pads it seems.
Ironic really, as i think TC pads dont work at ANY temp.

But if you are happy with your brakes performance, obviously save your cash. :-)

However if your going through 4 or 5 sets of pads to one set of discs, why bugger about? for another 20 sobs for a front set have brakes that work, surely?
(i am getting ahead of my self a bit here as i havent had a chance to get them cooking yet, 5 dot fluid in it so should be able to to "test" fully [smiley=evil.gif])

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.