Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear wheel bearing changed  (Read 1478 times)

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
Rear wheel bearing changed
« on: 02 November 2012, 18:42:00 »

I had a noise coming from the back near side for a few months now, wasn't quite sure if it was the wheel bearing or not.

So I bit the bullet and ordered a bearing from All German Parts and a bearing puller set from Ebay.

Looked through a few threads on this site for others that had done the deed, some have had a nightmare others have done it without any problems.

I did it over 2 days probably took me about 4.5 hrs in total, (working between night shifts) not too bad a job, the hardest part was getting the hub nut undone, theres not a lot of room under the car to swing a breaker bar with a tube slide over the end to get the nut undone, the nut is quite thin and the socket kept sliding off.  I held hub by putting the handbrake on, this held enough to get the nut undone.

Jacking the hub off using 12mm studding through the handbrake adjustment hole and a wheel stud on the opposite side with different amounts of packing or a socket behind the bolt as the hub came out. Having taken the handbrake shoes off first.

The bearing came out easily with the puller, the new bearing was put in the freezer for a few hours and pressed back in.

Getting the hub back in I used spacers cut from tube slide over the hub and wound it in with the hub nut. Along with some gentle persuasion of a rubber hammer.

Holding the hub still with the handbrake and doing the hub nut up as tight as possible. Then connecting the drive shaft back up.

So not too bad a job but could have been a bit warmer, cold concrete and working outside not the best environment.

And to top it all the noise has gone.

So if anyone in the South East want to borrow a bearing puller I have one sitting here, I may even lend a hand if required..

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel bearing changed
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2012, 20:46:09 »

If you'd mentioned this, you could have borrowed my bearing puller and the tool I made to extract the hub when it wouldn't jack out with bolts. We spent 2.5 hours trying that, 15 mins making the tool, and 30 seconds removing the hub! I'll happily lend it to anyone that will collect.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2012, 20:50:34 »

Nice to know that there are experts with the tools  not too far away if I should need help. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2012, 21:48:32 »

Nice to know that there are experts with the tools  not too far away if I should need help. :y

Just ask!
I've the cam timing set as well.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2012, 09:07:09 »

thanks Nick OK at the moment but you never know
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.