Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brittool sockets. Any good?  (Read 3771 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Brittool sockets. Any good?
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2015, 19:46:16 »

As I mentioned before the head guy has Mac and the other mot tester has ALL snap on.

Other than DESPERATELY wanting a set of snap on aircraft wrenches I will stick to Hellfrauds hand tools. Can't remember if mine are professional or the advanced range but either way they're great with the lifetime guarantee.

So far I've broken three torx sockets. They're all the 3/8 ones. T55 3/8 broke trying to undo omegs head bolts. But I was just starting out and made the mistake ofi not using half inch. The other two were t45 and t30. . . . . They were just weak and broke on something easy . . . Breather bridge iirc

But no other problems and I do properly abuse them  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2015, 08:10:17 »

The Halfords Torx bits (not the sockets) are woeful, well worth getting a decent set   :y

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2015, 08:24:12 »

Sealey do a nice box with a good selection of hex, torx and spline bits... All in 1" and 4?" come with bit holders in both 3/8" and 1/2" so pretty versatile :y About £35 iirc...

The problem with the Halfrods 3/8" set, (at least the rail I bought ten years ago) was that the bits have a square shank pressed into a round hole, so any effort required soon makes them slip, which is less than helpful :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 March 2015, 09:13:39 »

Sealey do a nice box with a good selection of hex, torx and spline bits... All in 1" and 4?" come with bit holders in both 3/8" and 1/2" so pretty versatile :y About £35 iirc...

The problem with the Halfrods 3/8" set, (at least the rail I bought ten years ago) was that the bits have a square shank pressed into a round hole, so any effort required soon makes them slip, which is less than helpful :-\

Yes, used a few sets of those and they work well, Machine Mart sell the exact same set for slightly less money (much less on a VAT free day)  :y

Just be aware that T60 is becoming a popular size also now (e.g. flywheel bolts) and many kits don't include this.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 March 2015, 09:23:16 »

Heard tales that Halfords get more of the torq brought in broke than anything else, so you're not alone in breaking them, Mr The Bear  :)

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 March 2015, 10:27:23 »

Heard tales that Halfords get more of the torq brought in broke than anything else, so you're not alone in breaking them, Mr The Bear  :)

I broke my T55 doing up the head bolts.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.