Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hedging my bets...  (Read 519 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Hedging my bets...
« on: 24 March 2015, 16:26:31 »

So the MoT date draws near - still have a cambelt... nearside suspension... fuel leak .. possible DIS pack and general check over left to do and after reassembly of the nearside I find that the wheel wobbles at 12 - 6. As you can imagine with brand new ATP droplinks and track rod ends, used but very low mileage wishbones fitted with brand new GM and Polys, plus MV6 spring and brand new Bilstein damper to then find 'play' was a little annoying.

So, it's either ball joint or bearing. I hedged my bets and managed to get two brand new GM balljoints from a Vauxhall dealer for £20 each, which is a fair bit better than the £65 each they normally are. Would have gladly gone Q H or similar for less money, but given that these came by sheer chance up I decided to just go for it. This means that now my cheap n cheerful wishbones have GM and polys, and will soon have GM balljoints, so in every real sense are GM wishbones, aside from the £190 or whatever they are from Vx. I think the all-in price comes to £58 per wishbone.

As far as I can tell the only other thing could be the bearing - I did give it a second 'nip up' (that's a 'nip up' with a 6 foot pole/breaker bar combo  ;)) On moving on to the other side I noticed that the NS was a bit grumbly, now replaced with the spare I had.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Hedging my bets...
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2015, 16:43:03 »

Nearside wobble at 12-6 wont be track rod end, bottom ball joint is the usual suspect

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Hedging my bets...
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2015, 09:29:46 »

As suspected, thanks.  :y Top be honest it'd be bleedin awful if it was track rod end, as they're brand new ATPs. Very pleased I was able to find brand new GM ball joints for £20 each, so snapped them up.

Many thanks, will report back once ball joints are in!   :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.