Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Belt squeal

(1/5) > >>

BazaJT:
The last time I tried starting the car[last week]it had been stood a while,as soon as it started there was a loud squeal[as you'd get from a slipping fan belt]but I had to leave it alone at that time and just turned the car off straight away.Today I've been to the garage to investigate possible causes-and also found I'd only closed the boot lid down without shutting it properly so the battery had gone flat :-[ Took off the auxiliary belt to check if any of the pulleys were stiff/seized,the belt did seem "stuck" to a couple of the pulleys[took no effort to "unstick" them though[but could be a cause of the squeal]is there anything I can put on the belt/pulleys to stop this as it's not a problem I've ever come across before?Rotating the pulleys by hand showed no stiffness/roughness,but rocking the pulleys up/down and side to side produced a noticeable amount of movement on the aircon pulley and an audible knock when it was moved,so presumably a bearing or something is shot?Is it thought this could produce the squeal?As the aircon doesn't work and never has while I've owned it I'm minded to but a non-aircon belt for it to bypass the aircon pulley,but will delay for others opinions ideas on the squeal.

STEMO:
Sounds like the culprit to me. Why take a chance on it seizing if you can put a shorter belt on?

terry paget:
Belts in pulleys can squeal if they feel like it, just the action of the belt entering and leaving a pulley can do it. When I bought my PFL 2.5 estate there was a squeal, whih I eventually traced to the auxiliary belt, by changing the belt.

zirk:
While your there, if your still there, make sure the Water Pump pulley wheel is securely bolted to the Water Pump, as that can cause a high pitched noise if loose followed by all sorts of problems if it throws the Aux Belt off.

BazaJT:
Didn't detect any wobble to the water pump pulley but will certainly check its security next time I'm down at the lock up.What length is the non-aircon belt?Not waiting for it to seize Stemo just delaying buying shorter belt to check out others thoughts on the squeal and meanwhile I have either of the two Volvos to run about in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version