Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Never assume anything  (Read 4264 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Never assume anything
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2021, 15:36:04 »

Puncture fixed(a puny little panel pin that really should have bent rather than punctured) and a quick dive into Halfords for a can of tyre weld......just in case.
Diesel till I die

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2021, 09:35:27 »

My Skoda Yeti has no spare and no place to put one, can of glop they give you wouldn't go in even with valve removed . Well you cant squeze a plastic bottle against a tyre and there was no jack either to take load off . Taken to a can of get you home stuff and a better tyre pump.   

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2021, 10:28:18 »

Both our cars have spare wheels fortunately, but the Range Rover is a space saver I've actually got a matching full size alloy but I need to see if it will fit into the cradle, not keen on this new idea of no spare wheel.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2021, 10:43:25 »

Puncture fixed(a puny little panel pin that really should have bent rather than punctured) and a quick dive into Halfords for a can of tyre weld......just in case.

One of my tyres on the Mondeo is starting to leak from the rim again.  ::)

So I might chuck a can of goo in there, see how that goes...  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2021, 11:25:55 »

Both our cars have spare wheels fortunately, but the Range Rover is a space saver I've actually got a matching full size alloy but I need to see if it will fit into the cradle, not keen on this new idea of no spare wheel.

My ML has a space saver too .... I doubt the 265/20 wheels would go anywhere near the spare wheel well. The R Class before it had a spare, but one that was 'flat'  ;) (never needed to use it so didn't need to worry about whether it'd go back into the wheel well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuJZSRC4WQ

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2021, 11:32:21 »

My ML has a space saver too .... I doubt the 265/20 wheels would go anywhere near the spare wheel well. The R Class before it had a spare, but one that was 'flat'  ;) (never needed to use it so didn't need to worry about whether it'd go back into the wheel well)

It's not uncommon to find that a full-size wheel doesn't fit in the boot: TTs and Beetles, XC90s come with a bag because the wheel doesn't fit the cradle(and the factory bodykit/twin exhaust takes up that space ::) ), some Porsche 911s have the spacesaver behind the passenger seat, etc

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2021, 11:36:58 »

It's not uncommon to find that a full-size wheel doesn't fit in the boot: TTs and Beetles, XC90s come with a bag because the wheel doesn't fit the cradle(and the factory bodykit/twin exhaust takes up that space ::) ), some Porsche 911s have the spacesaver behind the passenger seat, etc

I never like the idea of an under slung spare that's exposed to the elements. It's bad enough having to maul with a dirty horrible wheel from the car without having to crawl under it to retrieve a wet muddy spare.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2021, 11:44:55 »

I never like the idea of an under slung spare that's exposed to the elements. It's bad enough having to maul with a dirty horrible wheel from the car without having to crawl under it to retrieve a wet muddy spare.

I saw far too many where the mechanism had seized. Even more common was wheels that were so rusty the tyre wouldn't hold air. Few car owners check the spare when it's in the boot; they never do it when it's under the car. Fitting the spare in a cradle under the car uses the same space as putting it in the boot where it should be, it's just the other side of the floor.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2021, 13:04:36 »

I saw far too many where the mechanism had seized. Even more common was wheels that were so rusty the tyre wouldn't hold air. Few car owners check the spare when it's in the boot; they never do it when it's under the car. Fitting the spare in a cradle under the car uses the same space as putting it in the boot where it should be, it's just the other side of the floor.

That's exactly what I thought too!  :y
And more secure in the boot too. There was a modified hanger for the Kia my Dad used to have to help prevent people crawling underneath & cropping the cable to nick the spare.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2021, 13:27:02 »

Thats one more problem with the stupid French contraption. An absolute pita to get to the spare.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 February 2021, 13:40:14 »

Thats one more problem with the stupid French contraption. An absolute pita to get to the spare.

Try a Megane estate; there's a sticker with pictograms that 'explain' how the mechanism works. They were drawn by someone who had never seen the mechanism. Or a car. Or a wheel. Then they were prettied up by a graphic designer who clearly thought they'd been hired to draw Manga.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 February 2021, 13:43:37 »

I can sense a narrative building up here from Albs, in that he really wants to get rid of the French POS and use the Omega as his daily drive.  ::)

The money you are saving in not going to the supermarket should be spent so you can waft along to work in Vauxhall's best effort at luxurious comfort!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2021, 15:34:38 »

I checked mine when I first bought it 18 months ago it all worked okay + I lubricated the whole mechanism, I need 4 new tyres in the next couple of weeks anyway so will have the best of the old ones put on the alloy, I have seen full size spares slung under the RR Sports but maybe a different size cradle , may be an option to change it if required.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 March 2021, 15:40:31 »

Picked up the new space saver this morning, £72 with the VAT. Took it to the tyre place along with my old one with tyre on. Went and got Krispy Kreme donuts. Came back, handed over donuts in exchange for wheel, job jobbed.
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 March 2021, 16:47:52 »

Its got a cradle? so 2002-2009 model year?

The more recent ones have internal storage and when its a space sever there are blocks that you can remove so a full size will fit.

The parts shows only one cradle option (although the armoured one is different)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.