Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: new (to me) car time soon  (Read 12475 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: new (to me) car time soon
« Reply #30 on: 17 February 2019, 10:32:12 »

Try a Touareg Andy,best tower I've ever had by a country mile :y

Not a torque converter though .....  :-\

Mine is

You're confusing me then. Everything I've read up on Touregs is that they're DSG   :-\

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 17 February 2019, 11:13:08 »

They can certainly tow:

https://youtu.be/WmM-635RR6o

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2019, 11:29:16 »

They can certainly tow:

https://youtu.be/WmM-635RR6o

Didn't the big Icelandic chappie, the one who won 'World's Strongest Man' contest, pull a 747.......or was it just a bus?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2019, 11:35:33 »

Time to replace my R320 soon. Replacement needs to be big enough to tow a 1850kg max caravan, I want a 'proper' torque converter auto. Big heavy stuff is becoming a dinosaur these days so the choice is getting limited. I'd like a Jaguar like Lord Opti but my wallet doesn't stretch that far.  ;)

I test drove a 16 plate Jeep Grand Cherokee today. Didn't seem too bad but the touch screen that seems to do everything kinda puts me off .... why can't there be a switch for the ???? instead of scrolling through various menus & sub menus? The FIAT bit puts me off too  :-\

I've a test drive booked next week in a 14 plate ML350 that surprisingly has quite a few bells & whistles.

Head or tails?  :-\ :-\ :-\

My Tata XFR has a a torque converter 8 speed ZF auto which is silky smooth and changes gear extremely quickly. It has 500 lb ft torque  so would probably make a reasonable tow car.

Only ever seen derv XF's pulling a tin tent though. 

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 17 February 2019, 11:48:49 »

Time to replace my R320 soon. Replacement needs to be big enough to tow a 1850kg max caravan, I want a 'proper' torque converter auto. Big heavy stuff is becoming a dinosaur these days so the choice is getting limited. I'd like a Jaguar like Lord Opti but my wallet doesn't stretch that far.  ;)

I test drove a 16 plate Jeep Grand Cherokee today. Didn't seem too bad but the touch screen that seems to do everything kinda puts me off .... why can't there be a switch for the ???? instead of scrolling through various menus & sub menus? The FIAT bit puts me off too  :-\

I've a test drive booked next week in a 14 plate ML350 that surprisingly has quite a few bells & whistles.

My Tata XFR has a a torque converter 8 speed ZF auto which is silky smooth and changes gear extremely quickly. It has 500 lb ft torque  so would probably make a reasonable tow car.

Probably because people who tow burger vans like a bit of economy.

Just been talking to the son of the chap who owns a corner shop by us. He's got a 6.3 AMG and reckons, if he puts his foot down, he gets 8mpg  :o

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 February 2019, 12:34:03 »

Just been talking to the son of the chap who owns a corner shop by us. He's got a 6.3 AMG and reckons, if he puts his foot down, he gets 8mpg  :o

Surely that is a contradiction in terms.

If you pull a burger van you will use far more proper fuel or lorry fuel whatever you drive. :)

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 17 February 2019, 14:11:04 »

Yes, but you get more torques for less fuel with diesel.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 February 2019, 14:15:08 »

If you pull a burger van you will use far more proper fuel or lorry fuel whatever you drive. :)

No such  thing as fuel economy when towing ..... mine is usually around 19 to 20

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 17 February 2019, 14:19:01 »

No such  thing as fuel economy when towing ..... mine is usually around 19 to 20
Of course there is. Tow with a big diesel and you'll get that up to 30.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 February 2019, 14:20:06 »

Andy does tow with a big 3.0 diesel....

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 February 2019, 14:27:00 »

Yes......We need to make allowances  for STMO. He is quite elderly. :)

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 17 February 2019, 14:43:17 »

Yes......We need to make allowances  for STMO. He is quite elderly. :)
Well....it's obviously not big enough.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 February 2019, 15:14:27 »

A word of caution, a number of performance variants aren't type approved for towing. My father's RS6 being a case in point.

Not sure about the XFR or E63.  :-\

That said I'm sure a regular 5.0v8 would do the job nicely, through the same 8 speed of unit incidentally.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.