Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Source of oil leak - V6 Elite Estate  (Read 2168 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Source of oil leak - V6 Elite Estate
« on: 23 June 2007, 21:55:46 »

I'm looking into possibilities for where the oil is coming from. The oil is collecting on the top of the sump, and there is a fair amount on the ground behind the engine!!

To be methodical:

I have checked:

Cam Cover gaskets. Doesn't seem to be any external leaks in that area, plug wells are bone dry. Genuine GM gaskets recently fitted and breather squeaky clean.

Crankshaft oil seal. I had a good look in this area when I pulled the cambelt off...  and it didn't seem at all oily around this pulley, certainly not to the degree it's leaking.

Camshaft oil seals. Bone Dry.

Oil cooler to engine block unions. Bone Dry.

There is oil EVERYWHERE.. a large amount burning off the drivers site CAT. Bellhousing is caked in it. As is the crossmember. Sump gasket on a visual inspection doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere.

Oil filter - tight

Pressure switch at front of engine - changed it and it's washer.

All I can now think of, is - possibly one of the oil cooler unions in the V of the engine - plenum off tomorrow to check.

The only other thing I've noticed, is that the sump washer doesn't look correct, and oil is leaking from the sump plug at about 2 drips every 5 seconds. Collects quite a puddle after a while!! Obviously this needs fixing, but I wonder if it's the cause of the evils?? Only thing with that, is.. surely it wouldn't get onto the top of the sump that way...

Comments welcome :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Source of oil leak - V6 Elite Estate
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2007, 22:08:50 »

may blow back and up with the wind?
Grumpy old man

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2007, 22:27:23 »

Couldn't be that simple...........could it?????? that is a fare old leak rate you have there, total loss oil system, never need to actually change it ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

wakeyomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2007, 22:41:11 »

Hi James
Now I know this is not an omega, but I have currently have a 1960 hillman minx that had a faulty sump plug washer - the oil blew 'everywhere' on a run, I assume when it gets hotter, it gets thinner, probably leaks more and the draught just takes it everywhere in fine droplets. If I was you, before doing anything drastic, I'd fix the washer, wash down and then check again.

Good Luck

Pat
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2007, 23:04:34 »

Car has been parked for 5 mins after a run... and there is a humongous puddle, all from the sump plug....

::)

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2007, 23:15:54 »

After reading the original ad, i would say it should have said 1 litre of oil used per night with 0 miles.....
Fingers crossed for you matey..
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2007, 23:19:54 »

I have currently have a 1960 hillman minx

Slightly off topic - sorry - but do you have any pics of the Minx?  I would be most interested in seeing them if you do.  Could you post them up perhaps?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Nickbat

« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2007, 23:50:46 »

That's a good point, TB.

This thread is getting a bit too interesting, so let's change all that: ;)

Presumably, at speed, the air under the engine increases in pressure (hence the steering becomes lighter and the front of the car's natural tendency is to lift). This would then cause a minor venturi effect by sucking out air from the engine bay. Now, would that air be sucked out evenly from both the front and the back? I would guess that the fan's interraction would cause a circulation of up the back past the bellhousing and down the front by the rad - even though the rad creates hot air, the speed would negate its effect. This overall pattern could therefore cause any oil leak from the sump to be sucked up the back on to the bell housing.

Comments please from anyone that knows about physics.  ;D  

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2007, 23:58:32 »

That's a good point, TB.

Presumably, at speed, the air under the engine increases in pressure (hence the steering becomes lighter and the front of the car's natural tendency is to lift). This would then cause a minor venturi effect by sucking out air from the engine bay. Now, would that air be sucked out evenly from both the front and the back? I would guess that the fan's interraction would cause a circulation of up the back past the bellhousing and down the front by the rad - even though the rad creates hot air, the speed would negate its effect. This overall pattern could therefore cause any oil leak from the sump to be sucked up the back on to the bell housing.

Yes i know all about it  ;D If its leaking from the sump washer James....Bl**dy change it.....and see if that fixes it  :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2007, 00:07:59 »

That's a good point, TB.

Yes i know all about it  ;D If its leaking from the sump washer James....Bl**dy change it.....and see if that fixes it  :y
But that's just fault finding by substitution and Mark always bol**cks us for doing that.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2007, 08:02:56 »

That's a good point, TB.

Most interesting!  Is this why Sir Issac Newton got bonked on the noggin by a falling apple then!!!  Ahhhh!  Sir Frank Whittle, the fundaments of the Jet Engine... Bloody informative site this...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Do it right, do it once................

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2007, 10:30:54 »

To quote Mark....

You fix the bl**dy obvious  first!  ;D

James. Change the oil (and the sump plug washer!).
Clean everything around there (again traffic film remover is good)

Run car and see what happens!
The Administrator.

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2007, 13:25:23 »

Sounds embarasing  :-[
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

wakeyomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2007, 17:09:02 »

Posted by: x25xe Posted on: Yesterday at 23:19
Quote from wakeyomega on Yesterday at 22:41:
I have currently have a 1960 hillman minx

Slightly off topic - sorry - but do you have any pics of the Minx? I would be most interested in seeing them if you do.  Could you post them up perhaps?

I've popped one in the General Chat area (to save Admin moving it there!  ;) )

Pat
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm

r.welfare

• Newbury, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2007, 17:52:27 »

Interesting.  I was told the sump plug washer was the right one, although it came from a factor rather than Vx.  When I last cleaned everything off and took the bagpipes/aux belt etc out (as we discussed), oil definitely appeared to be coming out from somewhere above and behind the alternator...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.