Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: European Tour by car  (Read 4942 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: European Tour by car
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2018, 21:39:01 »

I backpacked round Europe over ten years ago when it was more fashionable to go to Australia, NZ etc. Had an epic time.

Highlights were Belgrade, Sarajevo, Budapest, Zagreb, Krakow, Istanbul and Varna in Bulgaria. Only two cities I’d never go back to. Bucharest and Sofia.

Loved Copenhagen and Oslo. Not so keen on Gothenburg.

I recently went back to Krakow and though it’s still a great place and a base for Auschwitz it was littered with Brit louts. When I first went I was the first fatty they’d ever seen 😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2018, 16:28:08 »

Loved Copenhagen and Oslo.
I went there in the mid 80s.  Didn't like Oslo at all - probably not helped by the weather, cold and wet (yet where we stayed for the week, inland a couple of hundred miles, was stunning and really warm). Copenhagen, never saw much more than the bit around the port, so not fair to make judgement.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2018, 16:36:52 »

Loved Copenhagen and Oslo.
I went there in the mid 80s.  Didn't like Oslo at all - probably not helped by the weather, cold and wet (yet where we stayed for the week, inland a couple of hundred miles, was stunning and really warm). Copenhagen, never saw much more than the bit around the port, so not fair to make judgement.

Had a similar trip to Ostende once. Walked off the boat with a few mates, saw this nice looking bar by the seafront. A dozen or so Trappiste beers later I somehow managed to focus on my watch and realised our boat was about to leave. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2018, 16:42:48 »

Ports are the best bits... Pouring, whoring and snoring all in walking distance  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2018, 16:48:32 »

whoring
I was worn out from Norway....
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2018, 17:25:18 »

whoring

I worked in Oslo for a few days at the power boat F1 many moons ago and had to walk through the red light district to my hotel from Aker Brygge (the trendy docklands area) where I was working.  ::)

The girls were very persistent, especially towards the end of the week when they knew me.  ::)  I didn't succumb though...  :P

Looking back I think silly bugger as a couple of them were stunnas!  :y  :D  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2018, 18:32:43 »

whoring

I worked in Oslo for a few days at the power boat F1 many moons ago and had to walk through the red light district to my hotel from Aker Brygge (the trendy docklands area) where I was working.  ::)

The girls were very persistent, especially towards the end of the week when they knew me.  ::)  I didn't succumb though...  :P

Looking back I think silly bugger as a couple of them were stunnas!  :y  :D  ;D

Now you prefer a cup of tea and a toasted crumpet.....
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 October 2018, 19:34:37 »

The first time I went Amsterdam there was one that looked like a young Rachel Stevens. I didn’t. But wish I had 😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 October 2018, 21:48:51 »

Ports are the best bits... Pouring, whoring and snoring all in walking distance  :D
Ah, well, 2 out of 3 'ain't bad, as Meatloaf once said. I was certainly not in a fit state to even attempt the third. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2018, 22:38:13 »

Ah, well, 2 out of 3 'ain't bad, as Meatloaf once said. I was certainly not in a fit state to even attempt the third. :o
in context," I want you (beer), I need you (sleep), but there ain't now way I'm ever going to love you..." ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 November 2018, 21:38:37 »

My parents are almost as old as you (in their 80's)

To celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary about 5 years ago, they packed up their Focus estate and Headed East from North Wales on (judging by the photos they took) a tour of European Churches.  They headed for Poland, and then through germany to austria and down to southern italy, and across to france, round spain, and portugal, and then got a ferry to Ireland, before getting the boat back to Holyhead.

4 Months. They took a tent, and also a laptop and booked hotels and b&b's at least 3 nights every week.

I think there were about 3 photos of them and 2 of beaches. (Weird)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2018, 00:03:38 »

Haha

Almost as old and they are in their80’s. My dad is 91.

Anyway it is good to know others have done similar. I can see the attraction of churches and cathedrals. They are always magnificent and the oldest buildings and built before steel, machines and computers. I say good on them , i bet they had a fantastic time.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 November 2018, 00:15:12 »

Haha

Almost as old and they are in their80’s. My dad is 91.

Anyway it is good to know others have done similar. I can see the attraction of churches and cathedrals. They are always magnificent and the oldest buildings and built before steel, machines and computers. I say good on them , i bet they had a fantastic time.

Not necessarily old.  When I spent a few weeks in Romania in the summer of 2004, I saw a few large churches and cathedrals under construction.

Apparently mostly they were replicas of originals destroyed by the communists.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 November 2018, 23:11:47 »

I've always wanted to do a road trip round the Baltics.   8)

Basically, ferry to Calais and turn left, keep going to Poland and then into Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.  If brave enough, nip into Russia, through St Petersburg and nip out again into Finland (if not brave enough ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki), round to Sweden, down to Denmark, on to Germany, turn right and home!  :y

thats basically what we did in august, exept we stayed out of Russia, (£100 and a few weeks wait for a visa, per person,)
we all said we would like to have spent more time in the baltics, and will go back,
Finland and Sweden ... er not so much,  lots of long straight roads with trees, 5000 miles 3 weeks and 11 countries,

couple of years back we did the wild west coast of eireland, definately a must do.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 November 2018, 00:45:49 »

That is really interesting.

Looking at Norway, Sweden and Finland and then a ferry across to avoid the Russia visa bit would be a lot of driving if it is just boring stuff.

What did you do for accommodation? Just hotels en route?
What did you like about the Baltics that you would like to go back for? I have never been. Only seen travel progs like Portillo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.