Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: HS 2 to be "reviewed "  (Read 19085 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: HS 2 to be "reviewed "
« Reply #90 on: 30 August 2019, 15:15:18 »

ok , combine Lizzie's national water movement grid and trains to make high speed water trains that float rather than rails with power stations en route for power distribution . gallows at each station (to deal with law breakers)
anything else need solving  :-\  ;D

Oh, we have only just started Dave! :o :o ;D ;D ;)
post the list and i'll get it all sorted  :y

Well Dave, add to the list the Justice system.

We have thousands of fit, young men, and women, in prison being unproductive, and costing us taxpayers a fortune.  Instead, but only with those medically fit- they can breath and walk - give them shovels and get them working on the new High Speed lines to reduce the ridiculous  current costs, and give those unfortunates a chance to learn life long skills, like a trade.If they re-offend they go back to even longer hours building the new infrastructure. But those who work hard and apply themselves, release them, as they may have learnt their lesson.  If not, they know they will be back on the construction site to build the future!

Now in NO way am I possibly suggesting labour camps................. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;) 

PS  Oh dear, what discussion have I now started..............!!! :o :o :o ;)  No, I am NOT like a bloody Hitler!! ::) ::) :o :o ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 30 August 2019, 15:24:40 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 30 August 2019, 17:10:15 »

ok , combine Lizzie's national water movement grid and trains to make high speed water trains that float rather than rails with power stations en route for power distribution . gallows at each station (to deal with law breakers)

Now in NO way am I possibly suggesting labour camps................. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;) 

see "gallows at each station (to deal with law breakers) "
Labour camps could work for minor offences if you want to be a namby pamby liberal about breaking the law  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 30 August 2019, 17:39:26 »

We have thousands of fit, young men, and women, in prison being unproductive, and costing us taxpayers a fortune.  Instead, but only with those medically fit- they can breath and walk - give them shovels and get them working on the new High Speed lines to reduce the ridiculous  current costs, and give those unfortunates a chance to learn life long skills, like a trade.If they re-offend they go back to even longer hours building the new infrastructure. But those who work hard and apply themselves, release them, as they may have learnt their lesson.  If not, they know they will be back on the construction site to build the future!

PS  Oh dear, what discussion have I now started..............!!! :o :o :o ;)  No, I am NOT like a bloody Hitler!! ::) ::) :o :o ;D ;D ;)

Chain gangs, Lizzie......... like Paul Newman in cool Hand Luke.

This 'workforce' would certainly undercut other contractors.......who I doubt would be best pleased. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-*

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 30 August 2019, 17:58:44 »

No, because that would be historically incorrect. ;)
True. Pre Victorian is what I should have said.

As for Swindon..........you have obviously failed to understand that the great railway town is no more, and no longer houses masses of railway workers.  Ask any of the retired workers who built great locomotives and everything else for the GWR (as I have in the past) who they blame for the demise of the extensive plant and the answer will be "the bloody government / politicians" who allowed the business to go to other plants, like Derby and Doncaster, then in turn allowed foreign companies to take the orders.

Sorry TB, but it is you who mis-understands the railway industry, and of course also cares not a jot for it. ::) ::)
Get your arse there, you'll see.  And listen to the workers and bosses, rather than the PR 'dangle berries' you seem to fall for all the time. And you too will grasp that the railways aren't run for the passengers.

I think I understand the railway industry pretty well, having friends and colleagues who either work/worked on them themselves, or have family who still do.  I also had a great neighbour who worked for what was then Railtrack in a department to try to expand the railways, and we had many a BBQ and beer discussing the tactics in play.

I care not for it because its outdated, inefficient, expensive for those using it, and even more expensive for those that don't.  Would you be kind enough to subsidise my car journeys by 60%? Thought not.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 30 August 2019, 18:24:04 »

Similar to the NHS then ?

Blue touch paper lit, withdraw to a safe distance.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 30 August 2019, 18:31:06 »

As for Swindon..........you have obviously failed to understand that the great railway town is no more, and no longer houses masses of railway workers.  Ask any of the retired workers who built great locomotives and everything else for the GWR (as I have in the past) who they blame for the demise of the extensive plant and the answer will be "the bloody government / politicians" who allowed the business to go to other plants, like Derby and Doncaster, then in turn allowed foreign companies to take the orders.

Sorry TB, but it is you who mis-understands the railway industry, and of course also cares not a jot for it. ::) ::)
Get your arse there, you'll see.  And listen to the workers and bosses, rather than the PR 'dangle berries' you seem to fall for all the time. And you too will grasp that the railways aren't run for the passengers.

I think I understand the railway industry pretty well, having friends and colleagues who either work/worked on them themselves, or have family who still do.  I also had a great neighbour who worked for what was then Railtrack in a department to try to expand the railways, and we had many a BBQ and beer discussing the tactics in play.

I care not for it because its outdated, inefficient, expensive for those using it, and even more expensive for those that don't.  Would you be kind enough to subsidise my car journeys by 60%? Thought not.

I knew many of the old railway people of Swindon, GWR and BR, when I knew That town, and Bristol very well over two decades. I also came into much contact with real railway professionals who after doing their job with BR, then turned up in their 'spare time' to work on preserved railways.  They loved their profession with a passion! They have now, in the main gone as they have been pissed off by pure, non caring management / politicians who do not care for anything but meeting targets; f the customer!

If you read my posts fully you will note I have already stated that the problem of the 'new' railways is that it is no longer run by died in the wool, in the blood, for generations railway men and women, who cared about their job and importantly their passengers. So I have already agreed with you that the current problem is there are few who really care for the business. That is what must change!

I will say no more as my previous posts cover it all. ;)

« Last Edit: 30 August 2019, 18:35:16 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 30 August 2019, 20:11:30 »

Right, I have got more to say after doing the dinner.

Your last sentence says it all now.  You may hate the railways, but actually, more importantly, begrudge "subsidising" those unfortunate enough to not be able to travel by other means than the railways.  ::) ::)

Those who medically cannot, those due to age cannot now drive, those who cannot afford (unlike lucky you and me!) to get licence and fully fund a car, or find it too difficult to get to their place of work due to a) distance b) time taken c) fear of driving long distances and/or in cities, and the young folk who are just starting out in life and have landed a great job. That doesn't take into account all the students who may enjoy a discount on the fares, but still have to fork out considerable sums to travel.  You think you are subsidising everything, but have you seem the latest annual fares?! 

I have repeatedly reiterated that most of those who travel by train have no choice, but in your view take away the railways now and sod em!  That is typical of the 'I'm all right Jack' of today! >:(

You and I are lucky, but hundreds of thousands are not. They NEED the railways - you know those that work for the hospitals, in schools, colleges, universities, that are not on the highest pay, cannot afford their own transport, and anyway have no parking space available, let alone afford the cost of using one!

No, you are living in your own bubble where it is so easy to shout about what YOU want, just like our ruddy politicians!

Like it or lump it we need, until there is an alternative, public transport, bus, coach, or railways for those billions of journeys required. WE have to pay for that, as indeed those who do not use a motor car have to, indirectly pay for massive road schemes. Just like we have to pay for the other necessities of life, like hospitals, schools, libraries, play centres, etc,etc, even though we may never use them.

If you really cared, and want everyone to stop using the railways due to being so out dated and inefficient, then argue through the politicians for the provision of cars, electric of course, for everyone who MAY be able to use one, funded by us. Then tackle the problem of an extra 74 million tonnes of freight going onto the roads every year that will cause all kinds of financial and environmental problems, but of course you, it seems, would not care about that as long as your car is subsidised - by whom?  ::) ::) ::)

As I have said you have got stuck to a computer screen and virtual reality, not what millions of others have to face in full, nasty, reality.  Wait to all your IT jobs go as computers look after themselves, from design, manufacture, use, modifications, and then disregarding those humans that are now dispensable and cost far too much to "subsidise". So even your jobs are already becoming historic, belonging to a different bygone age, and should be scrapped like the Victorian trains and motor vehicles.  In fact we all will be in the crap! ::) ::)

What does the statement at the bottom of your posts say that refers to how I view you?......... ::) ::)

Right, rant over.......feels a lot better ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 30 August 2019, 20:14:26 by Lizzie Zoom »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 30 August 2019, 23:31:24 »

I found the railways very useful recently... in order to travel to the Jag garage to pick up my new car. :P

Truth is, it just happened to be in the one compass direction in which you can actually travel by rail from here. Most of my destinations aren't. ;D

Journey was much quicker, cheaper and more comfortable on the way back, and that's without having to deal with the overcrowded commuter trains on a school day.

Truth is, I don't mind a train journey every so often. If only London wasn't the only place I could sensibly go, and my wallet didn't get emptied in the process. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 31 August 2019, 00:16:59 »

..... Most of my destinations aren't. ;D .....

I'm actually south of you as I type   :y :y :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #99 on: 03 September 2019, 14:36:43 »

Haven't looked into it properly but just seen a banner across the bottom of the screen saying the 1st phase of HS2 will be delayed for up to five years.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 03 September 2019, 14:39:59 »

Haven't looked into it properly but just seen a banner across the bottom of the screen saying the 1st phase of HS2 will be delayed for up to five years.

Yes, and now I have heard 7 years!! :o :o ::) ::) >:(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 03 September 2019, 15:05:01 »

That's so the dreamers don't realise it's actually been cancelled :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 03 September 2019, 16:26:02 »

That's so the dreamers don't realise it's actually been cancelled :)

........or to help people forget what it is going to cost ::) ::) :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 03 September 2019, 17:57:08 »

Most people I have to stand with on the Chiltern Slug can afford their posh cars that they drive to the station with. I suspect most of them earn at least double what I do.  They can pay for their own oppsing tickets.

The system is inefficient, ineffective, expensive, and as I've said countless times before, run purely for those working on it.  Its not used by the disabled, poor (more expensive than unsubsidised options) or licky brigade.  Its used by people who want to work in London (for big bucks, and 60% subsidised travel), but rightly don't want to live in the shithole.

So back to my original point, are you going to pay me 60% of my travel costs please?  Thought not.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 03 September 2019, 17:58:46 »

And todays "report" is nothing new, its already long been announced it will be late by years, and costs uncontrolled.  That was well known 5 years ago. In fact, I think at the HS2 roadshows, they thought 2030 was more realistic for Phase 1, but not acceptable politically.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.