Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Beemer!  (Read 11474 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Beemer!
« Reply #75 on: 09 January 2019, 22:26:28 »

As Columbo would say 'Just one more thing'.
The guy in the vid I posted didn't seem to remove any C clip before he podged the stub axle out.  :-\

It's not removable in the traditional way. It sits in a groove on the spline shaft. You have to guide it in to the diff and it springs out a bit when it meets the groove in the diff. That's why it won't take too much of a sideways force.
You will note that in the video you posted the guy taps the stub out with a hammer. This has the same effect as forcing it sideways when on the car. You tap the stub out with the c-clip still attached to it. *  :y

* Edit:
Looking at the video you posted it would appear that the clip stayed in the diff groove, not as I suggested. Perhaps you guide the stub through the clip, but it should hopefully give you an idea of what I mean.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2019, 22:39:07 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 09 January 2019, 22:32:44 »

Yes and I was pulling a hard U-turn when I lost power!  ::)  ;)
Have you had the wheel bearing on that side replaced?

Wonder if the wrong bearing was fitted and has allowed the shaft to move :-\

Nope.  :)

Thinking about my U-turn when I lost power.  I was turning right, so any pressure on the nearside driveshaft would have been inwards rather than outwards?  ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 09 January 2019, 22:47:33 »

Internal diff issue then :-\

Find out soon enough ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 10 January 2019, 17:18:11 »

The old girl lives!!  :y :y :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 10 January 2019, 17:21:27 »

Good news.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 10 January 2019, 17:44:45 »

What was it?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 10 January 2019, 17:46:38 »

Saved from being cubed. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 10 January 2019, 18:21:44 »

The nearside driveshaft had popped out of the diff and they 'popped' it back in.  Without a full strip down we don't know why it came out and apparently they had a hell of a job to get it back in and are scratching their heads as to how it came out.  :-\

I'm going to use it locally and keep an eye on it, but to be honest I think it needs new rear shocks, bearings, bushes and definitely tyres.  Then the front end needs sorting out and I havn't the time to fiddle about at the mo, so it's decision time!  ::)

Maybe I'll SORN it for a bit, keep it for a project car and get another cheapie workhorse estate.  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 10 January 2019, 18:39:47 »

You can get poly bushes for most of the suspension on those, so might be worth collecting bits ready for the summer ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 10 January 2019, 20:08:37 »

The nearside driveshaft had popped out of the diff and they 'popped' it back in.  Without a full strip down we don't know why it came out and apparently they had a hell of a job to get it back in and are scratching their heads as to how it came out.  :-\

I'm going to use it locally and keep an eye on it, but to be honest I think it needs new rear shocks, bearings, bushes and definitely tyres.  Then the front end needs sorting out and I havn't the time to fiddle about at the mo, so it's decision time!  ::)

Maybe I'll SORN it for a bit, keep it for a project car and get another cheapie workhorse estate.  :-\
I presume the BMW rear end is similar to the Omega's. Is it unknown for an Omega drive shaft to pop out of the diff? I can imagine a stiff spline, a worn circlip, a violent manoeuvre, might cause that.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 10 January 2019, 20:14:16 »

I presume the BMW rear end is similar to the Omega's. Is it unknown for an Omega drive shaft to pop out of the diff? I can imagine a stiff spline, a worn circlip, a violent manoeuvre, might cause that.
I've never known an Omega one to pop out, no matter how sideways it was going...
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 10 January 2019, 21:15:21 »

You presume wrong. The E39 has a multilink arrangement with McPherson struts which keeps the wheels perpendicular to the road regardless of how the car is being driven. The drive shaft bolts through the hub and to a flange which is apparently simply slotted into the diff.

Omega drive shafts don't take too much persuasion to pop out, but the geometry of the trailing arm design makes it impossible to remove them from the diff without first disconnecting them from the hub. 

I suspect this problem was caused by worn cv joints on the drive shaft allowing too much movement along the shaft, a tired spring clip allowed it to pop out under its own weight during the tight, aggressive turn. Imagine holding a baton lightly in your hand and in line with your outstretched arm and the suddenly spinning on the spot... The baton will fly out of your hand before you've done a full circle. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 10 January 2019, 21:37:19 »

You presume wrong. The E39 has a multilink arrangement with McPherson struts which keeps the wheels perpendicular to the road regardless of how the car is being driven. The drive shaft bolts through the hub and to a flange which is apparently simply slotted into the diff.

Omega drive shafts don't take too much persuasion to pop out, but the geometry of the trailing arm design makes it impossible to remove them from the diff without first disconnecting them from the hub. 

I suspect this problem was caused by worn cv joints on the drive shaft allowing too much movement along the shaft, a tired spring clip allowed it to pop out under its own weight during the tight, aggressive turn. Imagine holding a baton lightly in your hand and in line with your outstretched arm and the suddenly spinning on the spot... The baton will fly out of your hand before you've done a full circle. ;)

Especially with a bit of grease smeared on your hand.  ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 10 January 2019, 22:26:06 »

Thank you. I stand corrected. The Omega haft shafts always seemed secure to me, and impossible to remove without first removing them from the hubs. I am surprised on BMWs it is possible. I expect BMW is surprised too.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 10 January 2019, 22:32:07 »

Summats worn out... not usually possible as the flange must need to pull out a good inch or so in order to exit the diff gear enough to slip on the chamfer at the end of the shaft. Certainly abnormal behaviour. :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.