Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring Clean  (Read 8115 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Clean
« Reply #30 on: 25 June 2019, 11:29:26 »

Undo the torx screw beneath the front edge and pop off all the pop clips under the bottom edge (9 from memory). Then turn the steering to full lock whichever side you're working on. Finally slide the cover forward about 4" and it will fall off.

Skip any steps and you won't remove it without damage.

To refit, simply place the sill cover in position by locating the bottom edge and slap it into each clip with your hand. Then refit the pop clips and the screw.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 June 2019, 11:32:34 »

Once the sill cover is off, you can pop out the centres of the rear cap pins and simply pull the cover away. Retrieve the centre pins for refitting.

Wheel arch liners are retained by centre pin clips and 10mm plastic nuts. Go easy as the threaded studs rust and go brittle.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 June 2019, 12:22:19 »

Thanks very much DG! 8) 8) :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 June 2019, 15:52:48 »

.... Then start scraping away.....   :'(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 June 2019, 16:14:03 »

.... Then start scraping away.....   :'(

That is what worries me! ::) ::) ::) :D ;)

Perhaps it is best to just carry on, do nothing, and trust it keeps on passing the MOT :P :P ;D ;D ;)

Nah, I just cannot do that after all the advice! :)

Besides I have started to get the products advised together, and I have put GD's great guide on removing the sills onto a document now in my Omega giant log book of maintenance instructions, invoices and everything else I have filed since the old girl's purchase!
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 16:18:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 June 2019, 00:12:46 »

I use Bilthamber for rust treatment and Supertrol to prevent it, and get pretty good results.

I use Dinitrol rust converter and results are good and appear to last well. I also am well impressed with the Bilt Hamber Dynax50 as a cavity and box section rust prevention, but also think Supertrol is superb. It penetrates spot welded seams rather than bridging them like the thicker treatments. I use them all on my classics as well and I haven't found anything better for DIY treatment.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 June 2019, 10:21:42 »

Well, after taking the last and all the other posts into account, I have now placed an order with Amazon for the Supertrol in 500ml cans x2 for £17 and free delivery ;)

My plan is now that I wire brush / wire wool all the crud off the springs and brake pipes.  I will treat with Kurust to eat the awful stuff and then apply Supertrol.

I will follow Doctor Gollum's clear instructions to safely (I hope!! ::)) remove the sill covers and treat the metal according to how I find it, with Supertrol being applied.

Good plan? ??? ??? ???

Many thanks all! :-* :-* :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26 June 2019, 11:13:48 »

Well, after taking the last and all the other posts into account, I have now placed an order with Amazon for the Supertrol in 500ml cans x2 for £17 and free delivery ;)

Had you used my LINK for supertrol you'd have got 3 cans for £17.07 plus free delivery  ::) or was my supertrol not expensive enough for you  :P

My plan is now that I wire brush / wire wool all the crud off the springs and brake pipes.  I will treat with Kurust to eat the awful stuff and then apply Supertrol.
I will follow Doctor Gollum's clear instructions to safely (I hope!! ::)) remove the sill covers and treat the metal according to how I find it, with Supertrol being applied.

Good plan? ??? ??? ???

Supertrol comes with a straw ,for squirting inside sills ,chassis legs,sunframes ,door bottoms (via the drains if you don't want to take the cards off), wheel arches inside the boot, etc etc

it won't last on brake pipes or springs  :-X

springs and shocks/struts, brackets etc  you could paint with hammerite  or rust protection paint ,along with brake lines if you must.

I use a spray silver zinc galv metal protection paint on brake lines because any failure of the paint will clearly show rust through when next inspected (before MOT) and any leaks of brake fluid would also show better ,its also good to get in nooks and crannies and all round the brake pipes, ferrules,clips (not just the part you can see)

kurust will stabilize the remaining rust once the thick is wire wooled off, but won't protect much , think of it as a primer  :y
I've not used FE123 , but it may be better than kurust (which is more of a DIY product) perhaps applied with a garden sprayer  :-\ ,which you can't do with kurust ,it blocks the nozzle ,i tried  ;D

also worth saying that the factory "underseal" is shyte on the front chassis legs etc and various other areas and if you find rust, cut/scrape the underseal off until you find a good clean surface ,prime and metal paint it then  stonechip or underseal

good luck ,hope you don't find any nasties when the sill covers are off , but if you do , at least you can get it sorted and future proofed  :y

My sills where fine ,bar some light rust round the rivet nipples and a few other areas (now treated and painted and squirted supertrol inside), 53 plate with 80K miles (age/mileage has an impact on rust)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26 June 2019, 12:37:27 »

Had you used my LINK for supertrol you'd have got 3 cans for £17.07 plus free delivery  ::) or was my supertrol not expensive enough for you  :P

Good plan? ??? ??? ???

Supertrol comes with a straw ,for squirting inside sills ,chassis legs,sunframes ,door bottoms (via the drains if you don't want to take the cards off), wheel arches inside the boot, etc etc

it won't last on brake pipes or springs  :-X

springs and shocks/struts, brackets etc  you could paint with hammerite  or rust protection paint ,along with brake lines if you must.

I use a spray silver zinc galv metal protection paint on brake lines because any failure of the paint will clearly show rust through when next inspected (before MOT) and any leaks of brake fluid would also show better ,its also good to get in nooks and crannies and all round the brake pipes, ferrules,clips (not just the part you can see)

kurust will stabilize the remaining rust once the thick is wire wooled off, but won't protect much , think of it as a primer  :y
I've not used FE123 , but it may be better than kurust (which is more of a DIY product) perhaps applied with a garden sprayer  :-\ ,which you can't do with kurust ,it blocks the nozzle ,i tried  ;D

also worth saying that the factory "underseal" is shyte on the front chassis legs etc and various other areas and if you find rust, cut/scrape the underseal off until you find a good clean surface ,prime and metal paint it then  stonechip or underseal

good luck ,hope you don't find any nasties when the sill covers are off , but if you do , at least you can get it sorted and future proofed  :y

My sills where fine ,bar some light rust round the rivet nipples and a few other areas (now treated and painted and squirted supertrol inside), 53 plate with 80K miles (age/mileage has an impact on rust)

Thanks Dave, points noted! :y :y

I suppose on a now 16 year old car how far do I want to go to.  But I would like it to last another 10 years  if possible :D :)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 June 2019, 18:24:28 »

Probably 12 - 18 months ago I outlined how I had removed all the rear trim from my Omegas (inside the boot and rear seat area) to gain full access to the inner rear wheel arches. I did this when I got the cars, and the arches were solid then, and are still perfect now.
The access to the offside wheelarch is restricted on the saloon due to the fuel filler neck, but if the flap is removed a spray with a lance can get round it.
Supertrol is excellent for seams and smaller inner areas - not for panels exposed to the outside elements.
I personally would do the majority of it with the Bilt Hamber Dynax50 - it comes with a long lance with a brass revolving tip that theoretically gives a 360 degree coverage. It is durable, and fast drying.
It is more than adequate to brush onto brake pipes (dont get it on any rubber flexible hoses)
As with all these products keep the spray away from rubber bushes as the white spirit in it to make it sprayable will damage rubber making them like jelly.
Chassis rails and exposed areas on the underside requires a tougher product, but as many can crack causing damp to penetrate resulting in trapped corrosion, I tend to coat applied under body protection periodically with waxoyl / bilt hamber purely to keep the product flexible to avoid cracking and or drying out.
It has worked on my classics which are all between 40 and 45 years old, all original with no structural issues.
Just my experiences- others may have differing views, but any rust prevention can't be a bad thing...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 June 2019, 18:36:56 »

Probably 12 - 18 months ago I outlined how I had removed all the rear trim from my Omegas (inside the boot and rear seat area) to gain full access to the inner rear wheel arches. I did this when I got the cars, and the arches were solid then, and are still perfect now.
The access to the offside wheelarch is restricted on the saloon due to the fuel filler neck, but if the flap is removed a spray with a lance can get round it.
Supertrol is excellent for seams and smaller inner areas - not for panels exposed to the outside elements.
I personally would do the majority of it with the Bilt Hamber Dynax50 - it comes with a long lance with a brass revolving tip that theoretically gives a 360 degree coverage. It is durable, and fast drying.
It is more than adequate to brush onto brake pipes (dont get it on any rubber flexible hoses)
As with all these products keep the spray away from rubber bushes as the white spirit in it to make it sprayable will damage rubber making them like jelly.
Chassis rails and exposed areas on the underside requires a tougher product, but as many can crack causing damp to penetrate resulting in trapped corrosion, I tend to coat applied under body protection periodically with waxoyl / bilt hamber purely to keep the product flexible to avoid cracking and or drying out.
It has worked on my classics which are all between 40 and 45 years old, all original with no structural issues.
Just my experiences- others may have differing views, but any rust prevention can't be a bad thing...

Thank you, points noted 8) :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 June 2019, 23:53:20 »

Just to help, the fe123 comes in a bottle, like a squeezy sauce, oddly. Anyway, it is the consistency of other products like kurust, actually reminded me of milk, it applies itself in a very similar way/viscosity. I also understand it can be watered down a  little, oddly (though not much, it warns) never sprayed it on myself.

May have some pics I took when I was using it on doing my back wishbones, if I find them I'll upload them; though its not that interesting!  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 June 2019, 08:51:23 »

Just to help, the fe123 comes in a bottle, like a squeezy sauce, oddly. Anyway, it is the consistency of other products like kurust, actually reminded me of milk, it applies itself in a very similar way/viscosity. I also understand it can be watered down a  little, oddly (though not much, it warns) never sprayed it on myself.

May have some pics I took when I was using it on doing my back wishbones, if I find them I'll upload them; though its not that interesting!  :y

Thanks.  My Supertrol is being delivered to day 8) :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 June 2019, 17:01:16 »

Good good.

Certainly will look int the Supertrol stuff  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 June 2019, 18:13:13 »

Good good.

Certainly will look int the Supertrol stuff  :)

Yes, arrived as promised from Amazon.

:)
« Last Edit: 27 June 2019, 18:19:39 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.