Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Facelift Double Din Facia  (Read 6101 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Facelift Double Din Facia
« on: 17 July 2006, 17:57:01 »

Ok, got my new Kenwood double din unit, and wow it kicks ass!  :)

Problem is getting it to fit neatly, the facelift Omega Double Din space is a pain. Although we have the correct double din space, it has odd angle's at the side. Basically once you remove the old headunit, you have the true sqaure double din hole. But the sides to the console, all the buttons leave a gap.

If you look at this, which is a Single DIN adaptor for the facelift Omega you can see the sides i am on about:

I need one of the above but with a square double din hole, do they exsist?? or do I buy one of those and make the hole bigger?

Elsheepo

• Swindon, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Facelift Double Din Facia
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2006, 18:03:11 »

Very interesting question, I have often thought about this myself.

The Vx double-DIN headunits are not as well featured as aftermarket ones and the thing holding me back has always been the fact I want a double DIN unit to look at least half original.  

Will watch the thread with anticipation...!
Check out my blog - http://www.mikesouthby.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2006, 18:15:32 »

well so far its brilliant....the bass from my Vibe sub is awsum!. Unfortunetly i am thinking maybe i should have bought a single din head unit  :(

I have looked googled it quite hard but cannot find one, i suspect i might have to do some DIY work on a single DIN adaptor
« Last Edit: 17 July 2006, 18:15:53 by tunnie »

Elsheepo

• Swindon, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2006, 18:38:56 »

I nearly brought a Becker single DIN headunit, still, a double DIN like yours would be tops, especially if illumination is set to Vx orange!    
If you do have a go at DIY faceplate, post some pics, it'd be good to see how you get along.

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2006, 20:19:28 »

Firstly scour Autoleads catalogue - failing that you will have to butcher a single DIN fascia panel to fit

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2006, 22:03:07 »

ok, well after downloading the autoleads catalogue... no joy  :'(

I really should have picked a single DIN unit   >:(  Looking at the price of Single Din Alpine units i don't know why i bothered with double din.

Managed to look at some hi-res pictures of DIN adaptors and I really don't fancy hacking a DIY job one for double DIN

Plus the cage won't fit the Omega hole, the cage is a good 3mm too high for the slot and impossible to fit in  >:(

Think i am going to eBay the Kenwood unit and go single din, hopefully won't loose too much  :'(
« Last Edit: 17 July 2006, 22:03:35 by tunnie »

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2006, 23:21:36 »

Would they take it back if you buy a single DIN from them of greater value, or got a few more bits?

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2006, 23:23:22 »

What a pain - looked like a good H/U as well - BTW I have got myu radio working - insulation tape holding the aerial cable in the back of the H/U now [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2006, 23:49:58 »

What a pain - looked like a good H/U as well - BTW I have got myu radio working - insulation tape holding the aerial cable in the back of the H/U now [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

It is a good h/u. Very good build quality, feels very nice to the touch. Excellent sound. Looks good too, even better in the flesh may get some pics to show the issues, does not look atall chavvy.

Really regreting the double din route, also thought that a single din adaptor the slot underneath could be for my iPod.... grrr I was so hung up on filling the double din space, i did't look at single din alpine prices. A decent alpine one is almost 100£ cheaper  >:(

Think i am going to have to fleabay it, put an advert on AV forums, see how that goes and on here. Its a damn good headunit, so no issues about that its just fitment in the Omega. Like everything with this car its a real pain to modify it.

Elsheepo

• Swindon, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2006, 23:51:43 »

I'll second that!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2006, 23:54:12 »

I'll second that!

Sorry could give better news, my advice. Go Single DIN!!!

Get a nice Alpine, had previous experiance of those in m8's cars. Very nice, not too chavvy, feel nice to the touch and perform well.

Elsheepo

• Swindon, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2006, 00:07:15 »

Yes, Alpine are extremly good though to look almost OEM, take a look at the Becker Mexico Pro, which also plays mp3 and has input for iPod (though can't remember if you need an adaptor for this), have seen these go through fleabay for around £150-200, have been tempted myself but have held off waiting for a decent Double DIN solution.  Quality wise, as good as Alpine.  Think B&O vs. Sony if you were buying a tv! The other thing I like is the illumination matches.  All in, a very nice looking, and very nice sounding headunit IMHO

« Last Edit: 18 July 2006, 00:15:32 by mikesouthby »

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2006, 09:30:11 »

Really regreting the double din route, also thought that a single din adaptor the slot underneath could be for my iPod.... grrr I was so hung up on filling the double din space, i did't look at single din alpine prices. A decent alpine one is almost 100£ cheaper  >:(

Think i am going to have to fleabay it, put an advert on AV forums, see how that goes and on here. Its a damn good headunit, so no issues about that its just fitment in the Omega. Like everything with this car its a real pain to modify it.

Not you on AVForums as well - I have rather a lot of posts there!!!!

Single DIN is fine with the adaptor, I put my LPG switch in the slot and underneath the head unit my Connects2 adaptor box.

Anyway keep us informed we are all following it

editied for forgotten bracket
« Last Edit: 18 July 2006, 09:30:47 by Martin_1962 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2006, 10:37:38 »

will do, its always a learning curve with these things.

@ Elsheepo, I was tempted by that new Alpine double din unit, the touch screen colour one? With full speed iPod connection. I thought i would have looked the t!ts in mine, but alas after fitting a standard double din i doubt it  :(

The main problem is getting a faceplat to mold to the vaux shape.

Hillper says Becker too, his one does look nice and the Orange fits in nicely.....kicking myself now. Ah well.

I will take some pictures of the problems and post them up later.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2006, 10:38:04 by tunnie »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2006, 13:08:11 »

Hi there

Been looking around to see if there is any available Double din fascias for the omega, with no luck

Try contacting these people as they maybe able to source one for you.

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk
http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/contactus.php

They have the one you have with the tray underneath but they may have something for your radio.

Worth asking

HTH
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.