Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking of selling houses....  (Read 3578 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Talking of selling houses....
« on: 17 July 2018, 22:21:06 »

Has anyone used Purple Bricks?  ???  :-\  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

Re: Talking of selling houses....
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2018, 08:45:12 »

No, but given that estate agents are universally shite (in my experience, anyway); how much worse could they possibly be?

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2018, 09:18:46 »

No, but given that estate agents are universally shite (in my experience, anyway); how much worse could they possibly be?

Some years ago (North London) we were in a position to move significantly upmarket. We knew the area we wanted to move to. Walked into Estate Agent right in that area. Told him what we wanted, and what we would be selling. He deterred me from absolutely every house I enquired about and didn't even want my contact details. He prejudged. We bought a house that was on his books but via a different agent. Years later we sold up to move to Wales. The same agent was still in business, but no way were we going to use him.

There are some good ones that are proactive and actually try to sell houses, but I agree most are a waste of space.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2018, 10:18:07 »

No but they were on the panel of 5 we got round and their valuation seemed about right in the end. Reasons we didn't choose them:

1. The woman managed to annoy the cr@p out of me in the 40mins she was here and she was much more high pressure "selling" her services than the others, put us both off immediately.
2. Payment options. Yes, you can sell it for £999 or whatever with them but only if you want to pay up front (we couldn't) and if you do all your own viewings (we wanted the option for them to do some if we were out).
3. Solicitors. If you want to pay on completion you have to use their solicitors for conveyance and pay an extra £400 (I think) for the privilege. This was a red line for us, we have a family solicitor who we have used for over 15yrs and trust implicitly. Everyone I know (without exception) who has selected their estate agent's solicitor has had no end of problems, this is because they stack em high, sell em cheap and you get what you pay for, peanuts and monkeys.
4. Photos. All the purple bricks places round us have very obviously been photograped by the agent. Our place doesn't photograph well and we decided we needed a professional photographer - it made an unbelievable difference.
5. Cost. So, if you want professional photos, to pay on completion and to not do your own viewings, Purple Bricks are up to £1500 plus you pay for the photographer, oh and EPC on top. We paid £1750 + VAT fixed fee with a local outfit and got all that, plus premium rightmove listing, plus the house in the local rags plus its in their shop window. Oh and the guy didn't annoy the sh!t our of me.

Ultimately it comes down to what you're selling. If you're looking to shift a sub £100k terrace where chances are you'll be selling to a Buy to Let landlord or first time buyer, I'd use them. If you're trying to put your house in the best light possible so you can take a premium on it over and above the norm, then I would look elsewhere. 

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2018, 10:34:48 »

No but  . . . .

That's good info and helpful. I'd often wondered    :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2018, 11:56:08 »

Neighbour whos garden backs on to ours  has her house  up for sale with PB . . . speaking with her the other day  it seems the deal is nothing like they said it would be . . . and there are charges for lots of things she thought were included . . ..
she is not happy . . . . But  of course theres the  "No Commission" . . .yer right !  ::) ::) ::)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2018, 12:43:31 »

I have been told that Emoov are the best of the online agents, but have no personal experience.

Free valuation by agent
Floorplan
'For sale' board
Professional photos
Listing on Rightmove,
Zoopla, Primelocation and more
Account manager
Viewings arranged
Buyers vetted
Offer negotiation
Sales progression

£895 (£995 London and inner M25)
– pay up front (or later with
0% finance option available)
£1,995 – pay on completion

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2018, 13:01:15 »

Purple Bricks are as devious and untruthful as any other estate agent.

Hanging is too good for them.

The crook we spoke to wanted an additional £112 for each viewing......and if you pay in full up front what incentive is there for them to sell the house.

« Last Edit: 18 July 2018, 13:03:27 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2018, 13:17:19 »

...and if you pay in full up front what incentive is there for them to sell the house.

Swings and roundabouts I suspect. If its pay on completion (fixed fee especially) the incentive is for them to give the lowest valuation they reckon a punter will swallow. That way they can market a "bargain" house and get the money in nice and quick.

Personally I think its best to form an objective idea of what the house is worth, and take valuations with a pinch of salt and pick the agent you think you can work with.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2018, 13:44:31 »

My guess is once you pay in full up front interest from 'potential buyers' will suddenly disappear.

They have their money.......time to move on to the next victim.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2018, 14:45:56 »

All those TV adverts don't pay for themselves...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2018, 20:30:33 »

No but  . . . .

That's good info and helpful. I'd often wondered    :y

Thanks Jimmy that's answered a lot of questions.  :y

I didn't realise you have to pay up front.  That's a no no for me!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2018, 21:36:16 »

No worries, in their defense, i don't think all their representatives will be as irritating as a dose of crabs. But I'm pretty certain the other points I made are universally applicable.   ;D

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2018, 00:43:57 »

Talking in general to my solicitor the other day, regarding the conveyancing of our sale and purchase, she said Purple Bricks are a nightmare to deal with, in her experience.
We are not using PB, but trying to get info out of our pucker estate agents is a nightmare !!!!!!!
I am really p****d off now with this moving lark, I am that close to pulling the plug and staying put. >:( >:( >:( >:(
Bloody estate agent in Brackley keeps on about completion dates......Christ sake, I haven't signed anything yet. My solicitor can't get in contact with my buyers solicitor. It's just brick wall all the time.....and this is with pucker estate agents, not Purple Bricks !!!!!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2018, 04:31:08 »

Some years ago (North London) we were in a position to move significantly upmarket. We knew the area we wanted to move to. Walked into Estate Agent right in that area. Told him what we wanted, and what we would be selling. He deterred me from absolutely every house I enquired about and didn't even want my contact details. He prejudged. We bought a house that was on his books but via a different agent. Years later we sold up to move to Wales. The same agent was still in business, but no way were we going to use him.

There are some good ones that are proactive and actually try to sell houses, but I agree most are a waste of space.

I had the same experience in the 1980's, going from living at home to buying a big detached house. The only two agents of seven that sent through details, one of them sold me my house at the full realistic asking price. Non-estate position down a small private road in the middle of Sandhurst at the same price as the equivalent open plan estate market grot, that I drove past and rejected. I've never had any regrets as it is a great place to live. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.