Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much?  (Read 6064 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
How much?
« on: 24 December 2019, 12:05:57 »

SWMBO usually gets a turkey crown from the supermarket/Costco but this year decided she wanted a fresh turkey and she was going to buy it from a proper local independent butcher. It was duly ordered the other week and she went to collect it yesterday. In hindsight she should have probably asked how much it would be as she ordered it  but she didn't ..

... £68!!!!  :o :o :o :o

It'd better be bl**dy nice!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: How much?
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2019, 12:08:27 »

Well, the cheap stuff from the supermarkets is about £3/kg according to the non stop ads on the telly, or £7/kg for crown.

So lets guess a better one from a butchers is double that, that's a modest 11kg turkey?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2019, 12:09:42 »

SWMBO usually gets a turkey crown from the supermarket/Costco but this year decided she wanted a fresh turkey and she was going to buy it from a proper local independent butcher. It was duly ordered the other week and she went to collect it yesterday. In hindsight she should have probably asked how much it would be as she ordered it  but she didn't ..

... £68!!!!  :o :o :o :o

It'd better be bl**dy nice!
I noticed, on the telly ad, that the M&S one was £65. Ridiculous price for a glorified chicken. We paid £20 for a turkey crown, which is basically all that gets eaten on a turkey anyway.
Unless you are partial to dark meat full of stringy tendons.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2019, 12:10:58 »

Coming from a large family, when I was a kid, we were always getting 25-30kg turkeys, which, TBH, all the meat was stripped by Xmas Day.

That never stopped mum from still doing turkey stews and turkey soup well into the new year.  They were so crap, you could see the bottom of the pan when she cooked it.  No wonder I'm anti vegetarianism ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2019, 12:12:15 »

I noticed, on the telly ad, that the M&S one was £65. Ridiculous price for a glorified chicken. We paid £20 for a turkey crown, which is basically all that gets eaten on a turkey anyway.
Unless you are partial to dark meat full of stringy tendons.
I would say that I'd scoff the nice bits, and give the crap to the cats.

However, I'm realistic enough to know reality, and my place in the pecking order. Hence we have a crown ;D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2019, 12:13:09 »

Coming from a large family, when I was a kid, we were always getting 25-30kg turkeys, which, TBH, all the meat was stripped by Xmas Day.

That never stopped mum from still doing turkey stews and turkey soup well into the new year.  They were so crap, you could see the bottom of the pan when she cooked it.  No wonder I'm anti vegetarianism ;D
Turkey stew, possibly. Turkey soup, hmmmmm, maybe. But turkey curry....no!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2019, 12:16:29 »

Turkey stew, possibly. Turkey soup, hmmmmm, maybe. But turkey curry....no!
Reality was that it was water stew, water soup. Curries weren't invented in that part of Buckinghamshire at the time...  ...I didn't break my curry virginity until I was about 16, when I went straight in with a Vindaloo.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2019, 13:25:51 »

Until a couple of years ago we always bought the turkey from a local farm. Iirc it was around £75 for a7kg bird. I never thought it tasted that good, although I don't really like turkey anyway. A couple of years ago swmbo decided to try one from Sainsburys for half the price and all agreed it was at least as good, maybe better than the farm version.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2019, 13:27:22 »

Well, the cheap stuff from the supermarkets is about £3/kg according to the non stop ads on the telly, or £7/kg for crown.

So lets guess a better one from a butchers is double that, that's a modest 11kg turkey?

just tried to weigh it but it's physically too big for the kitchen scales ..... but SWMBO said it's 12lb

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2019, 13:40:48 »

just tried to weigh it but it's physically too big for the kitchen scales ..... but SWMBO said it's 12lb
Which is just under 6kg.  F-a-duck, that was a bloody expensive turkey :o
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2019, 13:50:04 »

Which is just under 6kg.  F-a-duck, that was a bloody expensive turkey :o

I'll let you know if it as any good  :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2019, 14:15:38 »

Ime its about the going rate for a "fresh" Turkey.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2019, 14:19:59 »

As a teenager (he's 32 now) my lad used to be a Saturday boy at the local butchers and one of the perks at Christmas was a fresh turkey, ham, gammon etc. The turkeys were marked up at about £70 back then for the size we had. It shocked me at the time as we always have turkey crown.

You'll have to stand on your bathroom scales and weigh yourself holding the roasting tray, stick the turkey in the tray and weigh yourself again, and work out the difference. You need to do that to let the OOF membership know how big a fresh turkey they'll get for £68.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2019, 14:30:18 »

Ime its about the going rate for a "fresh" Turkey.

Probably dispatched at the end of November.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2019, 15:00:00 »

I must admit I can't see the attraction of Turkey , dry , almost tasteless , waste of a dinner for me  :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.