Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why London Crossrail tunnels had to take into account the curvature of the Earth  (Read 3679 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile

Agreed. My point is that they came up with innovative solutions. Cross Rail project was full of them and impressive as a result but at the end of the day it was still just a plain big tunnel. Where are the innovative solutions to Heathrow.?

Swansea Bay tidal lagoon power scheme thrown out.third runway backed overwhelmingly by MPs tonight.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

Agreed. My point is that they came up with innovative solutions. Cross Rail project was full of them and impressive as a result but at the end of the day it was still just a plain big tunnel. Where are the innovative solutions to Heathrow.?

Swansea Bay tidal lagoon power scheme thrown out.third runway backed overwhelmingly by MPs tonight.

This is a stupid decision, as the UK could have established itself as leaders in an emerging sector of renewable energy and then exported that expertise all over the world.  ::)

A very shortsighted decision IMO!  >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

Not to mention putting jobs, infrastructure and investment into somewhere that isn't the South East....

Ah, I think I've spotted why the plans were dropped  ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

This is a stupid decision, as the UK could have established itself as leaders in an emerging sector of renewable energy and then exported that expertise all over the world.  ::)

Like Concorde, another world leading money pit nobody else will want to copy. Strike price over double gas generation per MW and the world has over 200 years of known gas reserves at current use rate. You need the gas generation capacity backup anyway as tidal like all renewables is intermittent power. Now if you want to go the renewable dream do so by all means and pay the eventual £1.50 to £7.5kwh which is what it will cost once you have all the inefficient zero CO2 backup systems to cover the intermittent supply, but count me out and let me keep my £0.15kwh.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile

Like Concorde, another world leading money pit nobody else will want to copy. Strike price over double gas generation per MW and the world has over 200 years of known gas reserves at current use rate. You need the gas generation capacity backup anyway as tidal like all renewables is intermittent power. Now if you want to go the renewable dream do so by all means and pay the eventual £1.50 to £7.5kwh which is what it will cost once you have all the inefficient zero CO2 backup systems to cover the intermittent supply, but count me out and let me keep my £0.15kwh.

Oh, you mean like Hinkley Point C?  ::). Except the tidal lagoon is unlikely to leave us with tonnes of toxic waste that takes centuries to be gotten rid of and will be dealt with at the cost of the UK taxpayer (another "not at all subsidy because only renewables are subsidised"). 

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

There is nothing stopping private industry developing the tidal barrier idea - planning permission has already been granted, they just need to do an environmental impact study and they can start pouring the concrete - if they can find 1.3bn from somewhere.

What's going on here is that a private company want £200m off the Welsh govt, and another £1bn off central govt. All for the prospect of two years of construction jobs and then 30 odd permanent jobs producing leccie at about £10p per Kwh. Offshore wind is about half that (5.7p/kwh).

If it were a financially viable project, private equity would/could fund it. If it were vital to keeping the lights on Govt would fund it (like Hinkley Pt). Since it's neither financially viable nor vital, no-one will fund it. It's just another eco-nonsense project.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile

It would be better used as a bridge to somewhere, so getting double use out of it,

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

just put one big tidal wall all the way round the UK and make double use of it  :y
My mate Donald knows some "big wall builders" he's not using on a project he had in mind  :-X

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile

Strike price over double gas generation per MW and the world has over 200 years of known gas reserves at current use rate. You need the gas generation capacity.

And thank goodness we’re definitely not going to be subsidising that to the tune of £80bn in the North Sea alone.  ::)

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/fossil-fuels-north-sea-oil-gas-decommission-cost-double-government-a8326046.html

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

It would be better used as a bridge to somewhere, so getting double use out of it,

Yep, that would sound useful, until you realise you can either use it to get to Cardiff or to Weston--super-Mare. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile

There must be an island that needs a bridge nearby

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Lundy?

;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Lundy?

;D

I think that would ruin it. ;)

Besides, it would be no fun without having to travel on this rolly-poly old tub.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

They must have seen the farcical engineering behind it!

I have been sat with a certain team which were working on it and the things they were doing were a farce!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.