Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dab head unit  (Read 1993 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Dab head unit
« on: 16 September 2016, 11:44:09 »

I'm thinking of buying a dab radio for my cdx. Is there any specific models that are better/easier fitted than others? Do I need to change the aerial and will my steering wheel controls still work??
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Dab head unit
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2016, 12:04:20 »

A radio chappy will be along in time, I'm no expert, but don't be surprised if your reception is poor. DAB is frankly terrible, in my experience. There's masses made of the 'CD clarity', yet that's only with a perfect signal, anything less than a brilliant signal, and instad of a fractional crackle, as with analogue, the audio just dies completely. Very odd idea. Coupled with the fact Omega aerials are noted for their less-than perfect design, so I'd imagine a new aerial, at the very least, will be required.

Given me a system of tuning in 'notches', and excellent signal, or no signal at all versus

a system which is infinitely tuneable, and the signal simply drops and degrades to a point the user can determine whether they don't want to listen any more, I'll choose the latter. Got a 40 year old ROberts radio at home, gives perfect, clear reception and deep, rich sound. Cost me a quid at a car boot. Only thing I miss on analogue vs digi is Absolute Radio  :) internet-based radio is/will be king in terms of choice, when the FM band is finally robbed off us.

Is it simply because Digi is newer and therefore 'better' that you want a DAB, or do you have another reason for wanting it?

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2016, 12:46:39 »

DAB reception has improved since the days of me having to run wire along the fence to pick it up in the evening, but it'll need some better aerials than the Omega possesses.

Personally for those stations that don't appear on AM/FM, I stream via the phone to the headunit.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2016, 14:46:26 »

DAB reception has improved since the days of me having to run wire along the fence to pick it up in the evening, but it'll need some better aerials than the Omega possesses.

Personally for those stations that don't appear on AM/FM, I stream via the phone to the headunit.
Seconded, as it allows hands free calling and mp3/4/itunes playback too :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2016, 19:19:38 »

I have a pure highway 300di, its getting on now and has since been superseded its the same as the alpine ez dab but costs less

I have it going to my alpine HU through the AUX on the rear, the digital aerial is on the top left of the windscreen and grounded on the a pillar, quality is great. the control unit sits in the glovebox waiting to be attatched to the blank button covers

If you have the OEM radio you can tune to a dead station, much like an fm modulator
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2016, 00:01:12 »

What he said^

Stick on aerial to the corner of the screen grounded to the screen pillar. More stations the closer to the city centres you are!?

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2016, 06:57:17 »

Yep 20 plus digital stations and how ever many fm stations you get locally should be more than enough choice

Right now its tuned to capitalxtra

The unit is also piggy backed taking power from the radio so it all turn on when the key is turned
« Last Edit: 17 September 2016, 07:00:58 by frostbite »
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2016, 21:52:14 »

I'm not overly thrilled with DAB radio. My job takes me all over the North West, and if tuned into DAB, then there is nothing more annoying than when you listening to your favourite 'tune', or listening to some particular debate, and suddenly, it just goes dead as is someone has pulled the mains plug out. It may come back on within a few seconds, sometimes it can be a minute or so. Yes, the sound quality is good when it's on, but I find it quite frustrating when it goes off. Unless the programme is a National one that is only on DAB, give me good old fashioned FM. At least you get an indication when the signal is weak or out of range, by a few crackles/ gradual fading etc. I have DAB in my 'other' car, but invariably, it's tuned to FM.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2016, 20:12:48 »

Im inclined to agree. I fitted one to my 190 a few weeks ago, and when you go through a dead spot, it just disappears. The only station which seems to be pretty constant is Capital and that is utter shite.
Having said all that, Ive spent very little time playing with it so far, so may get to like it better when I have a better idea how the thing works.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2016, 22:23:40 »

To use DAB you need a decent amplified antenna, without that you are always going to be disappointed. Got one back in the early days of DAB and it was like "Chalk and Cheese" as far as reception goes. Top end of Kent to Stafford listening to Planet Rock with no loss of signal. The only trouble with a decent amped aerial is the cost but without one there is little point having the DAB in the first place....Even though the signal (and station numbers) have got better over the years.

I now use a "Kinetics Digitizer" hard wired as I did not want to lose the original head unit in the new car and have amplified the signal to that, not as good as my previous install (Blaupunkt) but works 99% of the time and is very tidy with very good sound quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.