Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Towing rules.. and Smart cars.  (Read 4171 times)

aaronjb

Towing rules.. and Smart cars.
« on: 03 April 2019, 15:14:19 »

This post is a twofer:

1) I passed a Smart Fortwo on the M40 yesterday that had a towball on the back. Yep, a towball. Sticking pretty much out of the middle of the bumper.
I'm going to assume it's for mounting a cycle rack, because they aren't type approved to tow.

2) Any of you here with Japanese import cars? 4x4s, probably.. do you tow with them? Technically they don't have a GTW listed, so the legalities are .. well, it's probably illegal. But do you? Would you?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Towing rules.. and Smart cars.
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2019, 15:32:53 »

1) Yep, guessing a cyclist. Outside chance it could be a glider pilot. I've seen towballs on some pretty odd choices of vehicle for towing your aircraft around the airfield.

2) If it's an import then presumably it went through IVA rather than type approval, so the legality of otherwise of towing is an even greyer area where you'd probably get the benefit of the doubt if not being silly.

Saw quite a few teardrop caravans behind Lomaxes and other rather feeble vehicles at Stoneleigh last year. They seem to get away with it. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2019, 15:33:15 »

1. Why would you... Cycling is probably more comfortable  ;D

2. Do the Japanese tow much? That said, the Aussies are a big Jap market. If it's possible to buy a model specific tow bar, then presumably you can tow with it.  :-\

Surely, as long as the car is insured for towing, the trailer is compliant and your license allows it, then why not... :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2019, 16:08:57 »

2) If it's an import then presumably it went through IVA rather than type approval, so the legality of otherwise of towing is an even greyer area where you'd probably get the benefit of the doubt if not being silly.

Saw quite a few teardrop caravans behind Lomaxes and other rather feeble vehicles at Stoneleigh last year. They seem to get away with it. ;D

There's at least one person on the Cobra forum who tows a burger van with his Cobra, too.. I was half tempted, myself. But then hotels are so much comfier.. ;D

2. Do the Japanese tow much? That said, the Aussies are a big Jap market. If it's possible to buy a model specific tow bar, then presumably you can tow with it.  :-\

Surely, as long as the car is insured for towing, the trailer is compliant and your license allows it, then why not... :-\

They don't tow. At all, apparently. That's why their VIN plates have a 'spot' for Gross Train Weight, but don't have anything stamped there (ever).

VOSA basically say "no", as do the Gubmint; I just found this - http://andrewsjapanesecars.com/japanese-import-towing-weights/

Hm.. I was tempted by an imported Subaru (either Legacy R-Spec-B or Forrester, both in specs that were never available in the UK), but if I buy a replacement estate (to replace the Skoda), it really wants to be something that can tow at least the little 500Kg trailer. Ideally a car trailer with a Cobra on it..

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2019, 16:19:16 »

E55/63 should do just nicely then :D

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2019, 16:25:04 »

I don't think I can stretch to the generation of E63 I'd like ;) the budget started off at ~£7k, although the last Forrester I looked at was £12k.. I'd rather the lower end of the two, really.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2019, 16:28:22 »

Used lots of cars over the years to tow with the best is the one I use at present the Hyundai Terracan, in fact it drives better with a couple of tons on the back of it, and still returns around 25mpg (solo around 30)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2019, 16:36:42 »

I don't think I can stretch to the generation of E63 I'd like ;) the budget started off at ~£7k, although the last Forrester I looked at was £12k.. I'd rather the lower end of the two, really.
OK, call it a compromise...
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904026543314 :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2019, 16:47:40 »

Forester is an excellent choice we are on our second Forester first was a 1999 this is a 2005 all weather X absolutely superb car, towed with our first one all over the UK never had any problems.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2019, 17:12:08 »

Hmm.. can you go any newer? ;)

Tilbo - I was looking at this one: https://www.quayvehiclesolutions.com/used-cars/subaru-forester-jdm-sh5-xt-2-0l-twinscroll-turbo-manaul-cwmbran-201902154956438

I mean, I'm a boy racer at heart...

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2019, 17:16:06 »

I don't think any AMG merc is type approved to tow anything ???

other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2019, 17:24:49 »

Oh, OK then...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903226161118

Doesn't have the memory seats, but it should pull ok :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2019, 17:43:09 »

I think there is a big recall on Forresters, so look into that if you are going that way :y
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2019, 20:11:02 »

I think there is a big recall on Forresters, so look into that if you are going that way :y

Ours went in last year new rubber bush on steering column saw the one which came off looked perfect but it had to be changed for some reason.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2019, 20:13:58 »

Hmm.. can you go any newer? ;)

Tilbo - I was looking at this one: https://www.quayvehiclesolutions.com/used-cars/subaru-forester-jdm-sh5-xt-2-0l-twinscroll-turbo-manaul-cwmbran-201902154956438

I mean, I'm a boy racer at heart...
. That is very nice , the interiors are nothing special but the engines are brilliant & perform extremely well
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.