Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after problem after...  (Read 19461 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem after problem after...
« Reply #60 on: 18 November 2019, 20:11:41 »

Whilst they are indeed identical, swapping them won't change the symptoms ;)

Primarily because both control fuel delivery...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 18 November 2019, 20:34:00 »

They stay on permanently once engine is running, but pump one cycles when key is put to 2. Injector one is activated when cranking once the ecu sees cam and crank sensors... any mismatch here and it won't power up either (except for the initial pump prime), hence the chaos caused by the crank sensor ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18 November 2019, 21:09:31 »

Taa. Will get digging how to test them, then..

Oh. Update, drive home from work, she stalled / died again. Realised it was as I sat at roundabout, and engaged D, after being in N. Tried then several times on rest of journey and couldn't make it do it again. Odd one...
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18 November 2019, 21:45:13 »

Have we ruled out MAF sensor? Easily checked, just unplug it, EML will come on, but engine should still run, and if fault disappears MAF was the problem.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18 November 2019, 21:50:36 »

We haven't no. First of tomorrows job is (nice and cold, low battery voltage) to unplug ye olde MAF and whizz round the block..
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 19 November 2019, 11:24:18 »

Right... 

1) Done the MAF unplug thing, still did the stall thing. Again, as I engage D from N or P. I'd suggest this is a marginal rev drop, combined with already-low voltage going to the ECU drops by that smidge more, which cuts the ECU out. My 'theory' only.

2 a) Definite appreciable 'rev waver' when engage lots of draining systems.

2 b) Specs of the 'good' volvo battery on a 1-2 mile journey to work and back are...
(no voltage recorded before setting off)
12.85v upon arriving at work
12.53v before setting off
12.87v back at home.

This morning
12.43v after a night sat
12.25v engine running with all the load. (H'lamps, heated seats, fans, heated rear window)

just done a 'cold start'
12.43v before cranking
10.70v on cranking (oh started instant, no issue by the way, but engine was 920 as only run ten mins previous)

3) Just a side observation.... the throttle pedal has a fair amount of 'floppy play'  :o before 'biting' could this in any way be a contributory factor of this? When I removed the plenum I actually left the cable/adjuster in place, so is shouldnt have changed position. But could 'tightening this up help matters? Silly thought?

Anyway, not MAF, shame as I have a spare!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 19 November 2019, 12:19:12 »

Cable relative position may have changed if routed slightly off from previous position.

Might be worth adding a notch or two of tension, if only to rule it out :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 19 November 2019, 12:34:50 »

Will check didn't want to leap in and start changing variables. I'm going to check the youtube for relay testing shortly. After coffee.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 19 November 2019, 13:00:55 »

Will check didn't want to leap in and start changing variables. I'm going to check the youtube for relay testing shortly. After coffee.  :)

check out Ebay for relay testers as well. £10 well spent......

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 19 November 2019, 15:31:49 »

Ooh, didn't even know such a thing existed! Ta Nick  :y

Ok chaps, just done some more bits. I have changed the throttle pedal adjustment along a fair few clicks, now the throttle feels lovely and responsive, I am the only one that would touch that/know how to, so don't know if they 'slip' over time. Very odd. There was about 2inch of travel before throttle actuated before, the car felt sluggish, but that wasn't really the issue, so left it at the back of my mind.

Went round the block a few times, with all systems on, tried going in and out of D, N, P etc many times, tried to make her do it, nothing...

EDIT:

Dave the Builder just turned up. Brought a purple relay  :D did a wee code reading, nothing of note there. Car starts perfect, and no issues present. As per the pattern, nothing shows up when the car's warmed up. Best best I think is to await my battery (here in an hour or so DHL says) get that on, Miss DBG gets her car's battery back, and either give her another run, or even wait until overnight, then (with new battery) give her another go.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 19 November 2019, 16:03:43 »

Too cold for building work :D

Could be that the cable slack was causing the stalling. Wouldn't happen cold as the ecu adds extra fuel until warm... On the Trolley this manifests itself as a 300rpm rise in idle speed, which would be enough to keep the throttle partly open cold, but allow it to fully close if you lift of suddenly.

If that makes any sense :-\

New battery will help, especially with the dark and damp demands ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 19 November 2019, 16:43:20 »

Well... get ready...

Checked new battery voltage before fitting 12.5, so decent enough there. Went for a spin (engine temp reading just on gauge, but sub 90o, just to get some charge into the new battery...did it again!

Turned over very quick (a touch quicker than on the original Vx battery, and perhaps a smidge quicker than on the Varta/Ovlov battery) no hesitation, but went to top of the road and... engine just died. Headlamps only on, then added some more drain, went round the block a couple more times, didn't do it again.

For me, next step will be to fit the Dave the Builder relay, give her half an hour or so to cool down, then try round the block again. Will try some multimeter testing of the 'old' relay, whilst it's off, too.

Anyone else got any suggestions?  ??? I'm all ears!  :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 19 November 2019, 17:14:54 »

Fitted the Dave the Builder relay (I think I'll sharpie marker the name on it for future generations to marvel over when Time Team dig up my Omega) and she didn't do 'the thing'....I think she's still a bit warm from the previous run (still under 90o) didn't feel quite right, added all the load (lights, heated everything) and the idle wavered a touch.

Blipped the throttle, to the floor very fast, flooding the engine, and the revs died to 150rpm but she recovered immediately, presumably the inertia of the engine still spinning. I'd suggest that 'near stall' isn't any relation with this problem, that's just any cable-operated throttle would do that, presumably an ECU controlled drive by wire throttle wouldnt do the same.

Acid test will be tomorrow morning when shes been sat all night, I'll go round the block - I mean fingers crossed it's the relay. But I'm still not convinced. Happy to rule it out though.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 19 November 2019, 17:33:58 »

If no joy, you try the relay in the other position ,for injectors
are you 100% happy and sure that the fuel pump and dis pack electrical connections are good  :-\
could anything else electrical have got damaged ,not dried out from recent scuttle blockage  :-\
sticking idol control valve may stall the car out I mentioned  :-\
Too cold for building work :D

I triangulated my journey to drop off the relay  :P then got stuck in Nuneaton traffic ,so sacked off the last job till tomorrow  :y
cold i can live with, not so keen on the wet stuff or the cold wet stuff  ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 19 November 2019, 18:19:36 »

Postulation - if any of the wires to the DISpack briefly lost contact, would this just manifest itself a single, momentary misfire, or would this leave no signal to the ECU which would suddenly throw a paddy and just cease functioning? hence the stall?  ???

That all said don't know why that should manifest itself only when cold.  :-\ so probably barking up the wrong tree.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.