Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rusty wheel arch  (Read 11282 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Rusty wheel arch
« Reply #45 on: 15 September 2018, 17:58:05 »

Dont get me wrong i wouldnt criticise either types of owner and to someone who cannot do their own repairs and cannot afford a garage to do it would in most cases end up with the car being written off .(unless they had a friend who would help/do it for free) the car would then survive to live another day.nothing is unrepairable to the most devoted owner exept obviously a burnt out shell or badly accident damaged one.and even then there are exeptions i suppose.
Personally i would repair most things rather than replace .its just the way i was brought up. You get something you like/want.look after it and keep it until you find something you want better or otherwise !.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 15 September 2018, 18:18:30 »

Dont get me wrong i wouldnt criticise either types of owner and to someone who cannot do their own repairs and cannot afford a garage to do it would in most cases end up with the car being written off .(unless they had a friend who would help/do it for free) the car would then survive to live another day.nothing is unrepairable to the most devoted owner exept obviously a burnt out shell or badly accident damaged one.and even then there are exeptions i suppose.
Personally i would repair most things rather than replace .its just the way i was brought up. You get something you like/want.look after it and keep it until you find something you want better or otherwise !.

I agree.  That is why I am going to 'invest' many more pound notes to keep my precious Omega going for as long as I can :D :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 15 September 2018, 19:28:14 »

I agree.  That is why I am going to 'invest' many more pound notes to keep my precious Omega going for as long as I can :D :y

I agree with both of you. I had the Omega for 8.5 years, but you have to honest - things do get to a stage where making increasingly complex repairs simply isn't worth it. We all have a different idea of where that line is.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16 September 2018, 10:33:57 »

Probably when it stops being enjoyable .

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 September 2018, 10:54:50 »

Exactly - you need to enjoy repairing Omegas if they're going to last. I very much think of it as another hobby for me, and at least in my senior years it means I keep sort of active crawling around under the old girl getting covered in crap.

I've had an CD estate on the driveway going nowhere for the last couple of years and decided a couple of weeks ago to do something with it. Keeping it for spares was an original thought, but with the other estate CDX as a weekly drive and in tip top condition, I got the urge to go through it and make sure things weren't too far gone. New wishbones & steering rodsfitted last week. So far the front wheel arches & sills are all tidy now and protected inside and out, the front end behind the bumper is all sorted and protected....... I haven't even got to the rear arches and back end, so there's still a hell of a lot of work to do, not to mention cambelt, cam covers, handbrake cable, drilling out broken rusty screws, etc.

Sounds like hard work? It's enjoyable and feel as though I'm saving something in a throw-away society. Financially the car owes me nothing, and I'll easily get the budget down under £300 for a reliable winter runner.

Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 16 September 2018, 11:58:41 »

Pics of my 95 omega mv6. Thought they fit good in this discussion:)

Had the car for 10 years, done 465.000 kms. Do much mechanical and electrical work myself but not bodywork. Stripped down the rear end and delivered it to the welders last summer. Got it back this summer:) changed rear left entire wing, rear right wheelarch, backplate behind the bumper, both inside wings and wheelhouses, spare wheel well had holes big enough to put your head through, boot floor patched up everywhere, rear diff mounts changed, rear damper and spring mounts changed and most of the chassi rails back there. They looked pretty much like the one in the picture earlier in this thread. When i went to see the car up on the ramp they had a transmission jack supporting the trailer coupling because they feared the car could collapse. Also rear sills changed. And many smaller welding jobs.
I got a very good price, but of course i could have bought probably three decent omega v6 even here in norway for that price. Earlier i felt the need to defend such repairs, but now that im older i dont care anymore:) part of being an enthusiast i guess. My car, my money and allthough i could get another omega to replace it, it just wouldnt be the same:)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 16 September 2018, 13:56:30 »

What is it about omegas and old people I am the same my other half keeps saying why don't you get a newer car,I love my omega and will keep it as long as possible.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 September 2018, 15:42:08 »

What is it about omegas and old people I am the same my other half keeps saying why don't you get a newer car,I love my omega and will keep it as long as possible.

It is simply because of this:

A car with everything us older drivers need, and looking as good as many "new" cars 8) 8) :-* ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 September 2018, 16:05:14 »

Very nice Lizzie  :)
don't see many NON star silver 3 omega B2  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 September 2018, 16:47:47 »

Very nice Lizzie  :)
don't see many NON star silver 3 omega B2  ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 September 2018, 17:33:25 »

Yes seconded.fantastic example and does look good in that colour.thats not to say star silver ones dont because they do its just that its nice seeing them in a different colour.if that all makes sense.
You can tell from looking at your car lizzie that it has and will be maintained in as near "as new" condition as it can be and we know its because YOU want to. Thats the best and only reason there should be.
Sometimes its a personal challenge,sometimes its to be proud of something and sometimes its to show off a bit( as the bandit was commented on by frog" you do do it well !" ) rip burt.....
But its slways a great feeling to drive around in a car thats still alive because of your own efforts and abilities that others may have let go to scrap years ago due to neglect. After all they all start off immaculate !

Ps. I bet terry never knew what thread he was starting here !  !

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16 September 2018, 17:38:40 »

I also have a 3.2 in that colour. Its a year older and has done 100,000 miles more, but looks almost as good tbh, due to being looked after well. It also doesn't have that flag on its number plates, as I took them off and had new ones made.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 September 2018, 18:32:29 »

Yes seconded.fantastic example and does look good in that colour.thats not to say star silver ones dont because they do its just that its nice seeing them in a different colour.if that all makes sense.
You can tell from looking at your car lizzie that it has and will be maintained in as near "as new" condition as it can be and we know its because YOU want to. Thats the best and only reason there should be.
Sometimes its a personal challenge,sometimes its to be proud of something and sometimes its to show off a bit( as the bandit was commented on by frog" you do do it well !" ) rip burt.....
But its slways a great feeling to drive around in a car thats still alive because of your own efforts and abilities that others may have let go to scrap years ago due to neglect. After all they all start off immaculate !

Ps. I bet terry never knew what thread he was starting here !  !

Yes, it is certainly a challenge. I always wanted to keep my big Vauxhalls in the past, but with the exception of one Carlton, my company took them away to give me a brand new one :D

I managed to acquire a great Senator, but then traded it in for a 3.0 V6 Omega Elite. Since then I have progressed trying to find a later example good enough to keep into the future.  With the present one, obviously my last chance to do so, I am keeping it fully maintained after it had already been superbly looked after. This could be my last car with the advent of electric vehicles.  Unless it is a Teslar they will never give me the pleasure my current miggy does. But, by God, it is a real challenge indeed!! :o :o :D ;)

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 16 September 2018, 19:43:12 »

Exactly - you need to enjoy repairing Omegas if they're going to last. I very much think of it as another hobby for me, and at least in my senior years it means I keep sort of active crawling around under the old girl getting covered in crap.

I've had an CD estate on the driveway going nowhere for the last couple of years and decided a couple of weeks ago to do something with it. Keeping it for spares was an original thought, but with the other estate CDX as a weekly drive and in tip top condition, I got the urge to go through it and make sure things weren't too far gone. New wishbones & steering rodsfitted last week. So far the front wheel arches & sills are all tidy now and protected inside and out, the front end behind the bumper is all sorted and protected....... I haven't even got to the rear arches and back end, so there's still a hell of a lot of work to do, not to mention cambelt, cam covers, handbrake cable, drilling out broken rusty screws, etc.

Sounds like hard work? It's enjoyable and feel as though I'm saving something in a throw-away society. Financially the car owes me nothing, and I'll easily get the budget down under £300 for a reliable winter runner.

Mine is a hobby too. As one of the group of us who have done up cars in the past which are now classics, the Omega falls into the same category now. I do run it as an everyday A to B form of transport, alongside other cars, but I couldn't run it without having another car. Every year it comes off the road for 2 or 3 weeks to have something fairly substantial done to it and as the design is 25 years old now, that puts the early ones firmly into classic territory. Mine is an 03 so it's got a long way to go. but I reckon it'll get there.

The parallels with Rover SD1s are interesting. In the 90s you could barely give them away as rotten old rust buckets and unreliable piles of ****. Now look at the values of tidy ones. The comparison is that if I were to buy another Omega it would not be on age and mileage it would be on condition. That's one benchmark I use to indicate the move into classic status.

Being older and having the benefit of a wider experience can colour our judgement compared to younger people who don't have that same perspective. Omegas are getting mentions in popular classic car magazines, one only last month suggesting people should go out and buy them as the numbers left have reduced by 48% in the last 2 years.

SD1s are cool now, Omegas can go the same way, after all they were better to start with.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 16 September 2018, 20:03:48 »

Mine is a hobby too. As one of the group of us who have done up cars in the past which are now classics, the Omega falls into the same category now. I do run it as an everyday A to B form of transport, alongside other cars, but I couldn't run it without having another car. Every year it comes off the road for 2 or 3 weeks to have something fairly substantial done to it and as the design is 25 years old now, that puts the early ones firmly into classic territory. Mine is an 03 so it's got a long way to go. but I reckon it'll get there.

The parallels with Rover SD1s are interesting. In the 90s you could barely give them away as rotten old rust buckets and unreliable piles of ****. Now look at the values of tidy ones. The comparison is that if I were to buy another Omega it would not be on age and mileage it would be on condition. That's one benchmark I use to indicate the move into classic status.

Being older and having the benefit of a wider experience can colour our judgement compared to younger people who don't have that same perspective. Omegas are getting mentions in popular classic car magazines, one only last month suggesting people should go out and buy them as the numbers left have reduced by 48% in the last 2 years.

SD1s are cool now, Omegas can go the same way, after all they were better to start with.

I'd still love a Vitesse, especially a twin plenum one, failing that, a Vanden Plas EFI model.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.