Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: First ever conviction for lane hogging...  (Read 5528 times)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: First ever conviction for lane hogging...
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2015, 23:16:59 »

Yes....everybody was taking notice on the M27, M3 and M4 tonight. I had a good run up on the inside lane between 70 and 80, really clear, only having to overtake slower cars,  these being middle laners. !!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2015, 23:30:20 »

I might send a link to Addison lee. I have yet to see one of their Ford Galaxy's ANYWHERE except in lane 2 when on a motorway. Ever! Not even on a slip road. ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2015, 23:31:06 »

In that case perhaps they should introduce prosecutions for speeding or driving under the influence, as those are both dangerous practices?

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2015, 23:35:47 »

I believe those are already in place, Prety sure... :)

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2015, 23:49:17 »

Yes....everybody was taking notice on the M27, M3 and M4 tonight. I had a good run up on the inside lane between 70 and 80, really clear, only having to overtake slower cars,  these being middle laners. !!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I shall be doing a bit of middle lane clearance on the M27 in a couple of weeks... ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2015, 07:14:45 »

Motorway speed limits reduce road capacity een more.....

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2015, 09:18:34 »

I might send a link to Addison lee. I have yet to see one of their Ford Galaxy's ANYWHERE except in lane 2 when on a motorway. Ever! Not even on a slip road. ;D

By the time you've had to buy a Galaxy your standard of driving is the least of your worries. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2015, 11:23:13 »

Ron.

Being too high and allowing people to change lanes? Max capacity would be reduced speed, no land changing and everyone packed in tight.

Would be exceptionally boring though!
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2015, 12:59:46 »

It was quite funny last night....as I left the M27 and transferred to the M3, a police car came up from Southampton. You should have seen the change in driving culture. No one would overtake, the middle lane behind him suddenly became clear. And so it stayed, at a constant 70mph, until he branched off to the A34. The M3 then returned to everyone going like stink, on the 3 lane section the inside lane became empty, and on the two lane section to Basingstoke, for some reason, the inside lane was avoided like the plague ???
It was in the evening, so the Miss Daisy's were tucked up in bed, and as I said earlier, 70 to 80 on the inside lane for mile after mile, but constantly being overtaken by cars that had a massive aversion to crossing into the nearside lane, albeit empty !!!!!!!! :o
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2015, 13:21:47 »

No Steve, too low: low speed limit = fewer cars/hour = lower road capacity.
Remember when motorways were first introduced, with no speed limt - like in Germany?

Ron.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2015, 13:23:00 »

No Steve, too low: low speed limit = fewer cars/hour = lower road capacity.
Remember when motorways were first introduced, with no speed limt - like in Germany?

Ron.

I think research shows that does not work though - you need much bigger gaps at high speed so actually get less cars through....

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2015, 14:46:06 »

Steve, I agree; you NEED bigger gaps, but in real life, do you get them? I rarely see anyone keeping to the "2-second rule" on any road nowadays.

Ron.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2015, 15:26:59 »

Because.... Lane 1 has got 1 truck in it as far as the eye can see. While the rest of us sit with a 1 second gap.

And you never see me in lane 1 "making progress" nooooooo :-X

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2015, 15:59:13 »

Steve, I agree; you NEED bigger gaps, but in real life, do you get them? I rarely see anyone keeping to the "2-second rule" on any road nowadays.

Ron.

True - I try but as speed increases the gap is big and you end up with people constantly pulling into it.

Not really sure what the solution is.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2015, 16:13:25 »

Agreed, Steve; and I have no answer either. I doubt whether further training/educatuon would help either and that is never going to happen anyway.
I have often thought of posting a sign in my rear window - "The gap I leave in front is for MY benefit, not yours" - but would it be a wastred effort?

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2015, 17:14:18 »

Ron.

I used to think that until the roadworks on the m3 started.  Before they started, after 6am and it was gridlock so if the missus needed to be at heathrow before 8am it meant a very early wake up.  Now there is the 50mph average it just flows....no gridlock most of the morning.

Admittedly it is very boring though.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2015, 11:21:35 »

Ron.

I used to think that until the roadworks on the m3 started.  Before they started, after 6am and it was gridlock so if the missus needed to be at heathrow before 8am it meant a very early wake up.  Now there is the 50mph average it just flows....no gridlock most of the morning.

Admittedly it is very boring though.

Yes I've noticed that.

Unless there is a breakdown, it flows well. I just started commuting down M3 just before they started the work, it could flow 70-80, but then often grid to a halt. Mainly between Camberley and M25.

Now, as you say it just flows. Even through the slips on the M25, not normally an issue unless a smash/breakdown.

Returning used to be fine, until some muppet thought that traffic from London on M3 should merge with that of traffic from Heathrow on M25.  Causes big tail backs on the M3 going home now  >:(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2015, 11:35:23 »

Returning used to be fine, until some muppet thought that traffic from London on M3 should merge with that of traffic from Heathrow on M25.  Causes big tail backs on the M3 going home now  >:(

Yes, if people are going to be delayed there, the least they could do is sort out the sewerage farm. It's stunk to high heaven round there since before I can remember. Always great when picking up colleagues from Heathrow. "Welcome to England and no.. It doesn't all smell this bad".
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2015, 11:38:02 »

Yes, if people are going to be delayed there, the least they could do is sort out the sewerage farm. It's stunk to high heaven round there since before I can remember. Always great when picking up colleagues from Heathrow. "Welcome to England and no.. It doesn't all smell this bad".

;D ;D ;D

I do a check of Google maps, if stuffed, I usually take the back roads.

Luckily, as it's the summer, the bike is getting the most use so it's not a problem. Although it gets tiring filtering for such big tailback.

Hoping come winter they will finished the work in the middle and switch the outside, or change the flow before the car is the main use again.

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2015, 16:32:24 »

I didn't notice that until they started the roadworks - the first time I smelt it I assumed they'd dug through something but no.. it's always like that and now you have to plod through it at 50.. ;D

Still as said the rest of it flows so much better now (until someone breaks down) so I've switched to commuting that way and saving fuel rather than the back roads.

I occasionally see a BMW tunnie-bike but I'm pretty sure it's not tunnie on it unless he's now considerably stouter than the only picture I've ever seen ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2015, 20:24:19 »

Funnily enough I do see the odd WildTrack. So far an Orange one and a black one.  :)

Quite a few GS's commute that I've seen, my give away is the Sky Sports Hi-Vis vest   :D

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2015, 21:01:07 »

;D Definitely not you I've seen, then.. If you see an orange Wildtrak with a Pistonheads sticker on the back that's probably me ;)

The GS I see has one of those square metal boxes on the back at the top - I think he's from my neck of the woods as I used to see him on the A329 every morning. I saw him so often I decided his name is Terence.. ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2015, 21:09:14 »

Red jacket? Alloy box means GSA, mines a black back box  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2015, 21:12:40 »

Might be a red jacket .. I'll pay more attention next time  :y But yeah, must be a GSA then :)

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 29 June 2015, 13:40:05 »

Funnily enough I do see the odd WildTrack. So far an Orange one and a black one.  :)

Quite a few GS's commute that I've seen, my give away is the Sky Sports Hi-Vis vest   :D

And what did I see this morning on the M3? ;) If it wasn't you then you have a doppleganger in both bike & vest! You filtered past me as I wast stuck in stationary traffic just after the Bracknell junction, I was sitting in L3 with the roof down in the 645 (Grey one, big Pistonheads sticker on the back) and you paused a car or two in front of me before filtering off on your way.. ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #26 on: 29 June 2015, 13:44:06 »

And what did I see this morning on the M3? ;) If it wasn't you then you have a doppleganger in both bike & vest! You filtered past me as I wast stuck in stationary traffic just after the Bracknell junction, I was sitting in L3 with the roof down in the 645 (Grey one, big Pistonheads sticker on the back) and you paused a car or two in front of me before filtering off on your way.. ;D
Filtering.
Travelling in an unsafe manner between motor vehicles, sometimes getting close enough to make the motorist think his paint is in danger of being scratched.

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 29 June 2015, 21:51:31 »

Obviously I did try and knock him off to show how superior my car is to his bike but he's a slippery bugger that one.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 July 2015, 12:05:21 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Just trying to think, Monday I would have taken the bike. What time was it? Friggin hate filtering in the M3-M25 section with narrow lanes, it's a squeeze with the GS.

I think Tuesday I left a little earlier and got bogged down in traffic and did loads of filtering, free breakfast day at the office so did not want to miss that.  ;D

I have been keeping an eye out for Wildtrack, will also look for more 6 series  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 July 2015, 12:06:30 »

Filtering.
Trying to get past old duffers who think their car is a wide as a bus and like to sit on the white lines.

Fixed.  :)

The Sheriff

« Reply #30 on: 02 July 2015, 12:33:08 »

Filtering.
Trying to get past old duffers who think their car is a wide as a bus and like to sit on the white lines.

Fixed.  :)
Yes, but......the nearer you get to the white line, the more purchase you can get on the shove as they go past.  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 02 July 2015, 14:23:29 »

Just trying to think, Monday I would have taken the bike. What time was it? Friggin hate filtering in the M3-M25 section with narrow lanes, it's a squeeze with the GS.

It was definitely Monday about 9:15 probably by the time I'd crawled my way down the A322.. The giveaway it was likely you was the Sky hi-vis vest ;)

I think Tuesday I left a little earlier and got bogged down in traffic and did loads of filtering, free breakfast day at the office so did not want to miss that.  ;D

I have been keeping an eye out for Wildtrack, will also look for more 6 series  :y

Free breakfast? Sign me up! ;) We haven't even got working aircon at the moment here..

The Wildtrak is a bit more obvious, in the 6er I'm just another repmobile ;) although the PH sticker on the back should give it away..
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.