Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable ac unit  (Read 2572 times)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Portable ac unit
« on: 01 July 2015, 19:56:00 »

Domestic white dustbin thing from b and q.

Have to say I had t appreciated just how much heat needs to be vented outside. I have the vent pipe hanging out the window but the pipe itself gets do hot it's countering the cooling coming out of the machine ;D

Bollards  :-[ I'm going to have to vent it out through the wall to the airing cupboard and up though the ceiling to the bathroom fan ducting I think. Another bloody job. Probably be completed the day winter arrives in a fortnight a time... ;D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Re: Portable ac unit
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2015, 19:56:18 »

Oh no wait, the water tank is in the way. Arse :(

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2015, 20:10:02 »

Its getting cooler tomorrow, ...... and then it will soon be Christmas.  ::)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2015, 20:41:50 »

Do the job properly man.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrolux-Inverter-Conditioner-Warranty-EXI12HD1W_APD/dp/B00DEKJ0HW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1435777707&sr=8-10&keywords=air+conditioner+split+unit

Yes I was thinking along those lines earlier. Tbh. And at that price I may as well have done. Only slight issues is installation, as it's a first floor bedroom and would have to be installed down the side of the house above the ally way at height.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2015, 20:55:04 »

Cannot see the point in this country, Its only a few days a year..Chuck some blue ice blocks behind a Fan and be done with it   ;D ;D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2015, 21:01:22 »

Cannot see the point in this country, Its only a few days a year..Chuck some blue ice blocks behind a Fan and be done with it   ;D ;D

Nah, our house gets very warm up stairs. No radiators are ever on upstairs, yet downstairs is cold and up saris is sweltering in winter. In summer it's really not nice.

Lagging the water tank has helped. As has new boiler and thermostatic rad valves, in winter. In summer there's on a sultry night like last night and tonight no doubt, it needs cooling properly.

She moans about a cool bedroom, but is guaranteed to be too hot after an hour if it's warm to start with. ::)

The Sheriff

« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2015, 21:14:15 »

Nah, our house gets very warm up stairs. No radiators are ever on upstairs, yet downstairs is cold and up saris is sweltering in winter. In summer it's really not nice.

Lagging the water tank has helped. As has new boiler and thermostatic rad valves, in winter. In summer there's on a sultry night like last night and tonight no doubt, it needs cooling properly.

She moans about a cool bedroom, but is guaranteed to be too hot after an hour if it's warm to start with. ::)
I left the upstairs windows open last night and, thankfully, there was a bit of a breeze. Just about bearable.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2015, 21:18:45 »

I left the upstairs windows open last night and, thankfully, there was a bit of a breeze. Just about bearable.

Same here................... :y :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2015, 21:20:20 »

A breeze has just started here. If it stays like this it will be ok. Ish.

Last night was 'orrid.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2015, 21:28:49 »

;D ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2015, 21:55:18 »

On mine, when its near window, the pipe almost immediately goes behind curtain (thick, with blackout linings), so the heat stays out.

Chiller already on :)
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2015, 22:00:45 »

On mine, when its near window, the pipe almost immediately goes behind curtain (thick, with blackout linings), so the heat stays out.

Chiller already on :)

Yes got that a bit more sussed now, with the curtain etc :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2015, 23:33:18 »

It's taken 6 hours to get the temp down from a displayed 32c to 22c :(

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2015, 01:04:30 »

But it is not an Air Conditioner, is it? tis just a cooler, very different device. Portable air conditioners have lump of equipment that must be put outside. Cant quite remember the technical speek, tis a long time since I worked for Andrews Heat For Hire............. ::) ::) they also did AC............. :D :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2015, 08:22:09 »

Meanwhile, Gixer's leccy meter hasn't had such a shock since he took up welding. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2015, 11:25:40 »

But it is not an Air Conditioner, is it? tis just a cooler, very different device. Portable air conditioners have lump of equipment that must be put outside. Cant quite remember the technical speek, tis a long time since I worked for Andrews Heat For Hire............. ::) ::) they also did AC............. :D :D

What Chris has is an AC unit with both condenser and evaporator in one box and ducting to take the searing hot air from the condenser stage outside.  They're usually small and low capacity units.

What you're describing is just a larger version of the same thing with the evaporator inside and the condenser that goes outside with the long HP & LP refrigerant lines connecting them.  Usually higher capacity and can have noisier condenser/compressor stages. The small version of a whole building unit and a temporary version of a wall mount split unit.

An air cooler is usually little more than a fan with a cold water source for evaporative water cooling and has no hot exhaust.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2015, 17:02:54 »

How cold is the air coming out? Should be uncomfortably cold.

Mine was on when I was in the bath, cooled the room to "comfortable" in that 45mins or so
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2015, 18:20:11 »

What Chris has is an AC unit with both condenser and evaporator in one box and ducting to take the searing hot air from the condenser stage outside.  They're usually small and low capacity units.

What you're describing is just a larger version of the same thing with the evaporator inside and the condenser that goes outside with the long HP & LP refrigerant lines connecting them. Usually higher capacity and can have noisier condenser/compressor stages. The small version of a whole building unit and a temporary version of a wall mount split unit.

An air cooler is usually little more than a fan with a cold water source for evaporative water cooling and has no hot exhaust.

You can get those units that use water instead of refrigerant  :y

Word of warning tho.....do not plug it into an extension lead, that's plugged into an extension lead.....etc/etc

Years ago.....I hired one to help a computer room that one of the AC units had packed up....until it got repaired, one of these units was delivered within a few hours.....where to plug it in became a problem as it had to be near a window (for the short pipes to exit outside)....lifted a couple of floor tiles to find an extension lead socket underneath ..... great  :y Plugged it in....and off it went helping to cool the computer room....Went home...next morning I was getting complaints of servers not being online....wandered down to the computer room....phew!! it was probably about 40C in there....the servers had crashed due to excessive heat....portable cooler not working....so phoned electrician....who discovered after lifting quite a few tiles....the cables of the extension leads....had melted !! causing the breaker to trip out.....lucky not to have a fire!!!

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2015, 18:31:20 »

How cold is the air coming out? Should be uncomfortably cold.

Mine was on when I was in the bath, cooled the room to "comfortable" in that 45mins or so

Yes ac outlet is cold enough I guess.  The curtain thing helped. But there's still considerable heat coming from the exhaust. I suppose you'd call it?

It comes with. 1.5 meters of very sturdy plastic corrugated pipe. To which I've added some much more flimsy vent pipe. The vent pipe probably isn't far off melting. ;D it doesn't seem restricted in any way so no issue there. It's just a case of stopping the heat coming back in the room.

I have a plan though, to fit the supppiled connector for the pipe to the wall by the adjacent airing cupboard, then duct it up there. Through the ceiling, and the wooden platform for the water tank , then out the vent tile for the bathroom extractor.

Bush bash bosh :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2015, 19:58:05 »

Well, while you've all been fretting about air con I've been testing my new wood burning stove. 8)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2015, 20:55:17 »

Yes ac outlet is cold enough I guess.  The curtain thing helped. But there's still considerable heat coming from the exhaust. I suppose you'd call it?
But that should be a long, long way out of the window  ???
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2015, 21:27:08 »

It's as long as it needs to be to get TO the window, with the unit in front of the window at the nearest point.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2015, 22:36:27 »

Where I have a chalet bungalow, the flat roofs act like radiators this time of year. I fitted ceiling fans in all of the bedrooms. Very quiet and the breeze is just right for a good night's sleep in a hot bedroom. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 July 2015, 00:04:27 »

i think he means from the exhaust not out of the exhaust.  you just need to insulate the exhaust - lag it or put a larger tube around it. that will improve the efficiency of extraction as well.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 July 2015, 20:41:53 »

It's as long as it needs to be to get TO the window, with the unit in front of the window at the nearest point.
In my case, that's about 2' almost directly upwards, with 2nd foot being behind curtain.  Guessing yours not dissimilar?  Which would suggest your unit is less effective than my clapped out 15yr old unit :o
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2015, 11:35:00 »

It has to go to the small top window, hence more pipe heating the room.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2015, 16:02:23 »

Ah, I chuck mine out of the main window, purposely to avoid that.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.