Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climate Control Console  (Read 1423 times)

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
Climate Control Console
« on: 22 August 2006, 12:34:22 »

Hi all,

I've got a '98 Elite 2.5TD and had a few strange problems...

After spending a week away, on the return journey the missus lent over and pressed the button on the climate control thing that sends the air to the windscreen.  It was already actually lit but she wanted to press it anyway.  The entire panel shut down.  Temperature controllers, fan adjustment, directional control, the lot.
Initially I hoped it was just a fuse and when I got home I went through all the fuses.  Nothing.  I found one fuse under the bonnet in the big fuse/relay box (a 20A, second from the front i think).  that fuse had blown, so I replaced it, but nothing that I noticed cam back on.  The fuse that I'd expected to change had things like the heated seats, rear blind, rear window heater etc on - but they all worked.

A couple of days later the steering felt heavy, the heated seats stopped, rear blind wouldn't work etc and I checked the fuses again, and found that a 30A had now blown.  Replaced that and it all jumped back to life.  Climate control works, steering's lightened up, seats etc - everything I'd expect on that fuse according to the manual.

The following day, the wife sat back in the car, leant over and pressed the same button again (the already lit, sending air to the windscreen button).  Climate Control dies again.  The other stuff still appears to work again.  Fuse is intact.  After prodding everything on the dashboard I gave up in despair and firmly banged my hand against the button the wife had pressed.  Climate Control jumps back into life.  The oldest fix in the book (hit it).  Not the most reliable fix in the book though.

Anyone else had this sort of problem?

How does the dash come apart?  (Please say that the whole dashboard doesn't need to be stripped back to get behind the nice plastic walnut fascia...)

I'm assuming it must just be a loose connection or a dry solder joint (hopefully something I can remedy myself), but I'm damned if I can see straight away how to get behind that Climate Control panel.

Cheers

Rich

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Control Console
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2006, 12:39:25 »

Welcome to the site Rich :)

I happen to know there is a Maintenance guide for the facelift removal, unsure whether there is a pre facelift one posted yet but they maybe similar.

I am sure someone will post up with a description of how to remove.

HTH

Roy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2006, 13:24:23 »

Remove radio (undo grub screws if present, and use standard keys)
Remove radio cage
Remove Ashtray insert
There is a single screw behind ashtray you can now get. Undo this and remove ashtray.
You can now see 2 screws - remove these.
You may find it eaiser to remove all switches - start with hazards, and work outwards.
2 Screws behind hazard switch - remove (not always present).
Reach up through radio apperture - there is a thin metal bar. Pull this down to release console.
Unplug wiring as you go.
Grumpy old man

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2006, 13:44:26 »

Now that you have a proper answer, I'll state the obvious...

Tell the wife to stop pressing buttons! ;) ;D ;D

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2006, 15:15:25 »

Now that you have a proper answer, I'll state the obvious...

Tell the wife to stop pressing buttons! ;) ;D ;D

;D  ;D
« Last Edit: 22 August 2006, 15:15:56 by nixoro »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.