Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: car insurance  (Read 3078 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
car insurance
« on: 16 September 2019, 15:33:49 »

Why can't insurers just give their lowest/best/most competitive quote without you having to phone them?
Merc's insurance is due next month and, bearing in mind they wanted another £100 & something when I swapped from the R Class to the ML last March/April, their renewal quote was £760 ..... so I phoned them. 'Have you got any other insurance with us?' he asked, to which my reply was 'I have my house insurance with you ... you must already know that'
Quote went down to £681 ...... so why they couldn't have  quoted me that in the first place without me phoning them?

STEMO

Re: car insurance
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2019, 15:38:42 »

Why can't insurers just give their lowest/best/most competitive quote without you having to phone them?
Merc's insurance is due next month and, bearing in mind they wanted another £100 & something when I swapped from the R Class to the ML last March/April, their renewal quote was £760 ..... so I phoned them. 'Have you got any other insurance with us?' he asked, to which my reply was 'I have my house insurance with you ... you must already know that'
Quote went down to £681 ...... so why they couldn't have  quoted me that in the first place without me phoning them?
Because that's how the dance works. If you couldn't be arsed, through apathy or lethargy, they'd have another £79 off you. I believe there are still a high percentage of folk who just accept and auto renew. We, apparently, are in the minority.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2019, 16:02:23 »

Because that's how the dance works. If you couldn't be arsed, through apathy or lethargy, they'd have another £79 off you. I believe there are still a high percentage of folk who just accept and auto renew. We, apparently, are in the minority.

I've also done a quote on another car. It's a car registered in SWMBO's name. I've done the quote in my name with her as a named driver & the other way round. £250 for me & £220 for her ...... same car, same drivers .... not necessarily in the same order.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2019, 16:10:38 »

I've also done a quote on another car. It's a car registered in SWMBO's name. I've done the quote in my name with her as a named driver & the other way round. £250 for me & £220 for her ...... same car, same drivers .... not necessarily in the same order.
It's the main user that makes the difference.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2019, 16:10:51 »

Indeed, it's just a tax on apathy. I've just moved my mobile phone. It's 'only' £4.50 pcm difference, but just over £50 for the term of the contract is worth it for the sake of a phone call.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2019, 16:13:00 »

It's the main user that makes the difference.

I know but I put me on both quotes ...... the car only does a few thousand miles a year anyway

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2019, 16:15:58 »

I told the story of our insurance increase when someone set fire to her astra. Her insurance went up by thirty odd quid because of the claim. My insurance went up by seventy odd quid because she was a named driver on my policy. Same insurance company.
Work that one out.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2019, 16:31:03 »

I told the story of our insurance increase when someone set fire to her astra. Her insurance went up by thirty odd quid because of the claim. My insurance went up by seventy odd quid because she was a named driver on my policy. Same insurance company.
Work that one out.

Years ago SWMBO had an endorsement on her licence. Getting quotes that year the endorsement loaded the premium so I said take her off then, the quote was more because having a partner/wife is considered less risk  :-\ ???

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2019, 17:38:24 »

Every year it's always worth a haggle and use of comparison sites, this year I junked Admiral multi-car as even with the extra discounts it was no way near some online quotes I got.

With cash back, the 3.2's insurance this year was £260. Can't complain with that commuting into London.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2019, 18:20:09 »

Every year it's always worth a haggle and use of comparison sites, this year I junked Admiral multi-car as even with the extra discounts it was no way near some online quotes I got.

With cash back, the 3.2's insurance this year was £260. Can't complain with that commuting into London.

I had all our cars on a multi-car policy at one time but then I got quotes for them all individually ..... it was cheaper, but Admiral insisted they all had to be paid for individually which then flagged up on my credit card after the 2nd payment was made. It's just more convenient as a multi-car ....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2019, 18:46:02 »

Admiral has just quoted over £1000!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2019, 22:11:53 »

;D ;D ;D

Have you tried AA Insurance? They were really cheap this year for me, not sure why!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2019, 22:19:45 »

;D ;D ;D

Have you tried AA Insurance? They were really cheap this year for me, not sure why!

Not yet .... I've had a cursory look via confused.com ....LV seems to be OK-ish so far at around £600

I've another few weeks yet to make my mind up

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2019, 22:20:25 »

;D ;D ;D

And us. They had an offer through one of the comparison sites, I forget which one.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2019, 23:22:00 »

I had AA about four years ago, then they just quoted a stupid renewal figure. i inquired why the hike but didn,t get a satisfactory reply and they also refused to lower the quote to a reasonable amount, so i moved on. Now i get e-mails offering competitive quotes. ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2019, 23:40:49 »

I had AA about four years ago, then they just quoted a stupid renewal figure. i inquired why the hike but didn,t get a satisfactory reply and they also refused to lower the quote to a reasonable amount, so i moved on. Now i get e-mails offering competitive quotes. ;D

They all do that. Drag you in with a competitive quote and then hike it up in subsequent & hope you don't notice.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2019, 07:34:42 »

I’m expecting same from Admiral!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2019, 07:56:52 »

So you paid £300 and they send you back £40 of your own money,,

I'm paying £202 for the Saab  with Hastings, there was cheaper, but less cover,  and my renewal from Hastings was £272.,  So I did the comparison thingy,  phoned Hastings quick chat and they quoted me happy. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2019, 09:44:09 »

I'm paying £202 for the Saab  with Hastings, there was cheaper, but less cover,  and my renewal from Hastings was £272.,  So I did the comparison thingy,  phoned Hastings quick chat and they quoted me happy. :)

Any company that ever does that for me gets the finger as a matter of course, plus they have a habit of tweaking the cover without making it totally clear over the phone (e.g. the excess).  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2019, 10:19:10 »

;D ;D ;D

My lad has just insured with the AA for his new car,they were cheapest quote he'd had :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2019, 10:34:04 »

....(e.g. the excess).  :y

Direct Line had effectively a £500 excess (voluntary & compulsory)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2019, 11:11:43 »

....(e.g. the excess).  :y

Direct Line had effectively a £500 excess (voluntary & compulsory)

When my lad did his quote last saturday,it was cheaper with £150 vol excess than it was with £250 vol excess,strange one ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2019, 14:31:41 »

Any company that ever does that for me gets the finger as a matter of course, plus they have a habit of tweaking the cover without making it totally clear over the phone (e.g. the excess).  :y

No changes to my excess. :y
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2019, 16:42:52 »

.... ...
  phoned Hastings quick chat and they quoted me happy. :)

I fell out with Hastings years ago for auto renewing when I'd specifically told them not to .... the kid in the call centre said I should have cancelled it. WTF would I cancel the policy a week before it ended ..... anyway, I did receive an apology from them later

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2019, 22:42:43 »

.... ...
  phoned Hastings quick chat and they quoted me happy. :)

I fell out with Hastings years ago for auto renewing when I'd specifically told them not to .... the kid in the call centre said I should have cancelled it. WTF would I cancel the policy a week before it ended ..... anyway, I did receive an apology from them later
That's alright then...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.