Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambelt kit for x30xe  (Read 5065 times)

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
Cambelt kit for x30xe
« on: 16 August 2019, 19:59:29 »

Hi, I need replace the cambelt for a problem and there is 3 tipes. Until number engine 08300418, from 08300419 until 08578511 and from 08578512. The question, where is the engine number? The engine is swaped fron a breaking car

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Cambelt kit for x30xe
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 20:51:08 »

For the 3 litre then any V6 cam belt kit will fit you just swap the new tensioner/roller over on to the backplate that's already on the engine.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 21:04:29 »

Buy TWO of these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-belt-kit-Vauxhall-Vectra-Calibra-Cavalier-2-5-Omega-2-5-2-6-3-0/222619968296?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You need two because you need the extra pulley and it is cheaper than any other kit. James V6 CDX uses them!

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2019, 07:19:54 »

Isn't it that you only need the extra pulley for the 3.2 and possibly 2.6 engines? I know I only needed one kit for my 3.0.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2019, 07:51:03 »

Possibly Baza: mine is a 2.6 and I was advised by James, so thank you for the correction - you have saved the OP tweny quid!

Ron.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2019, 08:41:33 »

you do need the two kits because for some strange reason that kit only comes with the top roller and tensioner .all v6 engines have the other bottom roller ,be it a central or eccentric type you use the second kit just for that extra roller.(eccentric type used in place of central type )
still a bargain at the money whilst stocks last. ive got 6 kits here as spares.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2019, 11:28:54 »

It worked for me buying the 2 kits for the 3.2. :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2019, 15:53:39 »

It's worth mentioning that the lower roller is available on it's own. Both the eccentric and non-eccentric types. However not for less than the cost of the Delphi kit for any of the decent quality makes. It's cheaper to buy the two Delphi kits and ditch the leftover parts.

Arguably it's an advantage to use the eccentric adjustable roller, as supplied in the Delphi kit, over the fixed version.

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2019, 19:06:31 »

Ok, thanks evrybody. Another question, I had the following problem

What do you think is due? The belt kit is around 5000 miles, defective kit?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2019, 19:15:41 »

badly fitted, or not adjusted correctly which is the same thing. Probably done without the locking tools, and not enough attention to detail

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2019, 19:29:55 »

:o wow
you where very lucky to catch it in time
the belt must have been really tight if one or all of the bearings isn't seized or slack/knackered 
perhaps the last "mechanic" did not bother replacing any rollers
or didn't replace anything  :-\

needs to be spotless clean before assembly

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2019, 22:51:22 »

I wouldn't start that engine until you're certain that it's properly fixed.

.......... The question, where is the engine number? The engine is swaped fron a breaking car
Since this question wasn't answered, the engine type and number should be punched into a machined flat beside the oil filter and crank position sensor. In your case should be Y26SE nnnnnnnn.

Picture here.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2019, 23:10:17 by Enceladus »

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2019, 23:46:43 »

The kit is new with all the rollers. Locking tools are essential? It has openwork marks for camshafts and crankshaft

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2019, 23:48:24 »

I wouldn't start that engine until you're certain that it's properly fixed.

.......... The question, where is the engine number? The engine is swaped fron a breaking car
Since this question wasn't answered, the engine type and number should be punched into a machined flat beside the oil filter and crank position sensor. In your case should be Y26SE nnnnnnnn.

Picture here.

It is clear, but something to watch especially? My engine is an x30xe, that is why I wanted to know the numbering because it does not correspond to the car

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2019, 00:06:49 »

The kit is new with all the rollers. Locking tools are essential? It has openwork marks for camshafts and crankshaft

the marks are for basic alignment only, and not for the fine adjustments needed to get the timing correct. It's very common for all 4 cams to be  whole tooth out if done without the correct tools. Which are:
A crank 'lock' which wraps around the water pump snout, but isn't intended to undo any of the bolts
A pair of wedges, each of which hold one pair of cams in the correct position once you've checked that with
The alignment gauge, which is the most important part of the set.

Once all 5 toothed pulleys are locked, you remove and replace the belt and rollers, ensuring that the belt is adequately tensioned and the 3 adjusters are in the centre of their travel. Then you remove the locks, turn the  crank through one complete cycle, reinstall thd crank lock and gauge, and adjust the tensioners again. You keep doing that until they don't need adjusting. This is the attention to detail that if omitted(and it often is due to time constraints or ignorance of what's actually required) that can cause big problems. An experienced DIY mechanic ought to be able to do his first V6 belt properly in about 90 minutes, so it isn't too horrendous
« Last Edit: 18 August 2019, 00:08:34 by Nick W »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2019, 00:23:00 »

I can't believe that you would ask that question having posted those picture :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2019, 01:03:47 »

Why? The tools facilitate the draft, but that's what brands are for

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2019, 01:08:15 »

the marks are for basic alignment only, and not for the fine adjustments needed to get the timing correct. It's very common for all 4 cams to be  whole tooth out if done without the correct tools. Which are:
A crank 'lock' which wraps around the water pump snout, but isn't intended to undo any of the bolts
A pair of wedges, each of which hold one pair of cams in the correct position once you've checked that with

Once all 5 toothed pulleys are locked, you remove and replace the belt and rollers, ensuring that the belt is adequately tensioned and the 3 adjusters are in the centre of their travel. Then you remove the locks, turn the  crank through one complete cycle, reinstall thd crank lock and gauge, and adjust the tensioners again. You keep doing that until they don't need adjusting. This is the attention to detail that if omitted(and it often is due to time constraints or ignorance of what's actually required) that can cause big problems. An experienced DIY mechanic ought to be able to do his first V6 belt properly in about 90 minutes, so it isn't too horrendous

How to know when no more fine tension adjustments are needed?

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2019, 01:28:55 »

Here's a Contitech video that clearly shows how to fit and adjust the belt.

It's appropriate to you and anybody else using the Delphi kits because the guy in the video is using a bottom roller that has the eccentric adjustment. The markings on the belt are only used to install the belt, not to adjust it. Apparently some belts don't even come with markings.

I think you can also order a DVD from the OmegaOwners shop.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2019, 01:48:02 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2019, 02:46:35 »

How to know when no more fine tension adjustments are needed?
You can remove the locking tools without effort.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2019, 08:49:08 »

Why? The tools facilitate the draft, but that's what brands are for
Have a closer look at the belt in your picture and ask yourself what might have caused that damage... I would suggest that 5,000 km ago, that belt was fitted by a blind monkey high on opiates. Using just the timing marks.

Also I suspect that you will find the spacer missing from behind one or more of the pullies :-X

Incidentally, whomever fitted that belt should be paying for the new one.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2019, 10:46:37 »

I've fitted kits were the marks on the belt don't match sweet fa, all the marks are for is the initial set up, which can be done with the marks on the pulleys and cut outs on the back plate, and a bit off correction fluid to highlight them. The adjustable bottom pulley just makes the fitting of a new belt easier..
My
Ten penath worth.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2019, 12:38:09 »

I've fitted kits were the marks on the belt don't match sweet fa, all the marks are for is the initial set up, which can be done with the marks on the pulleys and cut outs on the back plate, and a bit off correction fluid to highlight them. The adjustable bottom pulley just makes the fitting of a new belt easier..
My
Ten penath worth.

that's been my experience too. I try the marks on the belt, and if they don't match carry on without them. They never line up once you've turned the engine through anyway.

The cutouts on the back plate are too far away from those on the pulleys to do the detail adjustment.

If you don't have the cam locks then you have to find some way of holding all four in the correct position while you route the belt and do the intial tensioning. You don't have enough hands!

It's dead easy to turn the crank with the belt as you fit it, so that's also needed.

That only leaves the alignment tool, and you're never going to know that all five pulleys are correct without it.

So it's possible to change the belt without the tools, but you'll have to improvise some form of locks(although the cam wedges don't cost much on their own) and you still won't get it right. Mine was a tooth out on all four cams when I bought it, and I thought it was smooth and powerfull. Fitting the new belt correctly improved both and increased the average fuel economy by 3MPG. Work out the cost of that over the belt's 40,000 mile life, and getting it right is a financial necessity as well as a mechanical one.

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2019, 22:07:25 »

Ok, thanks everybody, I will transfer all your advice and make it happen with the tools

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2019, 22:31:50 »

Another question, the belt only has 40000 mile life? It is very short, isnīt it?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2019, 22:38:18 »

Another question, the belt only has 40000 mile life? It is very short, isnīt it?

No.

Not unusual for a 4 cylinder, and the V6 is a much longer belt with more rollers and bearings. A Ģ100 part and 90minutes work(less with some practice) isn't a big expense or hassle.

It could be much worse: Rover's KV6 uses 3 belts and is a lot of work; Renault recommend removing the engine to change the belt on any of their V6s(although it isn't actually necessary) :o

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2019, 22:43:04 »

1800mm  :y
hardly short  ;D
AS DG pointed out, make sure the correct back plate and the spacer for the lower idler are used

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 August 2019, 15:00:50 »

Somebody knows the distance between the two cams pulleys?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 August 2019, 17:33:06 »

you could measure yours. But why would you want to know? ???

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 August 2019, 18:16:19 »

One of the adjustment tools is a gauge that gives the exact measurement between pulleys

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 August 2019, 18:34:41 »

One of the adjustment tools is a gauge that gives the exact measurement between pulleys

Yes it does by relying on the inside radii of the toothed pulleys but it also requires the crank lock at the same time. The kit includes the cam locks and a wedge to help keep the belt on the crank pulley. You can buy a brand new set for Ģ100, and the going rate for a used one is about half that.

Buy one, don't try to cobble one together, especially if you don't have one to copy. It really isn't worth the grief, and you'll get the whole job done in less time than you'll spend fabricating
« Last Edit: 20 August 2019, 18:41:08 by Nick W »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.