Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cold start issue and fuel trim error  (Read 3814 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: cold start issue and fuel trim error
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2019, 22:04:33 »

Hope you figure this out. Because i have a 95 3,0 that behaves pretty much exactly the same can crank from 5-10 secs before firing after sitting for a while. If it just been sitting a few minutes it fires up instantly. Also have the stumbling for a few seconds after firing.

A fuel pressure test is easy enough. And for those with an aversion to proper diagnosis, a new fuel pump is cheap.

I doubt it's a leaky injector as they tend to leak constantly, which immediately affects the fuel economy.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2019, 22:56:48 »

Hope you figure this out. Because i have a 95 3,0 that behaves pretty much exactly the same can crank from 5-10 secs before firing after sitting for a while. If it just been sitting a few minutes it fires up instantly. Also have the stumbling for a few seconds after firing.
My 2.5 manual behaved similarly, I thought it might be failing fuel pump, though once started it ran perfectly. I went to change the pump, but when I got the pump out of the fuel tank I could see the fault straight away - the hoses were attached to the pump, not with spring clips but with jubilee clips, which had become a bit slack as the hose compressed. I replaced the jubilee clips with spring clips and fault disappeared. That was three years ago, fault has not recurred.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2019, 20:24:49 »

Another simple test if you have access to the live data... Does the ecu coolant temp broadly match the gauge?
Onanists always think outside the box.

dunc52

• lancashire
    • omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2019, 20:31:21 »

I would be initially expecting leaky injectors.

Next time, fully floor (I mean fully floor) then crank.  It shouldn't start, but should clear fuel from cylinder. Then start normally.

Hi to 'The Boy'....tried your advice this morning as you exactly said.  Result was a first time crank over and an immediate start up, (not a long crank over as is the case each morning either, just a normal and healthy cold morning start), an immediate fire up plus, plus, plus no lumpiness or spluter or difficulty whatsoever.  Why did it catch on the 1st attempt and not the 2nd turn over??  It was a good feeling but short lived as i pondered what is happening.  Is it a tired pump or a very slow leaky injector, that takes 12hrs or more to present itself as a poor start in a following morning.  Well ive got a bosch pump ordered....take it from there and thanks again for your guidance and advice  :y 

dunc52

• lancashire
    • omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2019, 20:36:34 »

to the doc,  yes...broadly speaking  :y 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2019, 20:37:28 »

Rules out that then :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2019, 11:13:44 »

I would be initially expecting leaky injectors.

Next time, fully floor (I mean fully floor) then crank.  It shouldn't start, but should clear fuel from cylinder. Then start normally.

Hi to 'The Boy'....tried your advice this morning as you exactly said.  Result was a first time crank over and an immediate start up, (not a long crank over as is the case each morning either, just a normal and healthy cold morning start), an immediate fire up plus, plus, plus no lumpiness or spluter or difficulty whatsoever.  Why did it catch on the 1st attempt and not the 2nd turn over??  It was a good feeling but short lived as i pondered what is happening.  Is it a tired pump or a very slow leaky injector, that takes 12hrs or more to present itself as a poor start in a following morning.  Well ive got a bosch pump ordered....take it from there and thanks again for your guidance and advice  :y
That would fit my leaky hose connection too. The fuel line at the engine end should retain pressure for days, easily checked by loosening the pressure relief valve or a hose connection.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2019, 17:20:21 »

That would fit my leaky hose connection too. The fuel line at the engine end should retain pressure for days, easily checked by loosening the pressure relief valve or a hose connection.

Even easier to use the test valve on  the fuel rail......

dunc52

• lancashire
    • omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 January 2019, 23:44:31 »

:) Hi and sorry for the late reply, my excuse being work commitments lol.  No seriously, to all you Omega Knights out there..... I really valued all your replies and as a newbie with a teething problem like this, time was to put the call out to the faithful omega knightes  :D.

Anyhow, all is well now and with the excellent help of an ebayer seller Omega52.....job done  :y :y.

:oThe fault lay internally within the petrol tank area, a small split had slowly opened up over time from gentle abrasion.  The coil or single loop in appearance, type rubber fuel pipe that is connected at the top of the pump (feed outlet) and being the 2.6 version, this one pipe is also sheathed in a protective plastic webbing, unlike the 3.2 variant the same fuel pipe version appears with no outer protective sleeve.  This is probably due to the 3.2 fuel pipe having a deeper coil or loop within its overall shape of the pipe, which allows a greater clearance from the white plastic housing that contains the petrol pump.

On closer inspection of what caused the chaffing in the first place, creating the tiny split.  First the outer protective sheathing/webbing is too short for the job it was intended for, the fuel pipe is approx 13 inches in length and the protective webbing is approx 6 inches in length.  The gist of the tale, is that due to shape of of the 2.6 looped shaped fuel pipe and the closer proximity to the plastic pump housing (unlike the 3.2 version affording an extra 2 inches in clearance), this fuel pipe was actually being chaffed from one of the 3 plastic lugs that protrude from the top, outer rim of the plastic fuel housing through the constant action of the changing fuel levels within the tank.  Vauxhall people probably knew of this potential issue hence the protective sleeve on 2.6 version, if only they had made it a couple of inches longer in length a greater degree of protection would entail although it only took 17 years since rolling of the production line for the fault to occur, not bad i suppose ::).  The upshot being i have a lot of spares now as these original parts are not available from vauxhall any more :( 

Hope this helps, once again a grateful thanks to all who took the time to share their knowledge on this :y     
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.