Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Senator A2.  (Read 29765 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Senator A2.
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2017, 19:01:33 »

Yes EMD,they did a manual version certainly in 2.5 form,not sure on the 3L.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2017, 17:37:09 »

Had another play about today. Injectors from Keith arrived (fantastic service as usual!). Didn't try swapping tonight as not enough time or patience after work. Ran the car for a while and took plug 3 out again-dry again but there was petrol vapour coming out of the plug hole-spark seems ok-but am getting a spark plug checker (also put a plug in from my Royale-but still missing).
So possibly a partially blocked injector leaving a little petrol through?

All advice greatly appreciated-will bash on on the weekend!

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2017, 17:49:05 »

Police used manual 3.0 Senators. Cant remember if they were available in retail spec.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2017, 21:02:47 »

Had another play about today. Injectors from Keith arrived (fantastic service as usual!). Didn't try swapping tonight as not enough time or patience after work. Ran the car for a while and took plug 3 out again-dry again but there was petrol vapour coming out of the plug hole-spark seems ok-but am getting a spark plug checker (also put a plug in from my Royale-but still missing).

Steve

You can check spark by earthing the respective lead using a screwdriver to any metal point in the engine bay. Obviously ignition off first, put screwdriver into the plug lead end, rest screwdriver handle against body shell or engine and something metal below shaft leaving about a 1/4" gap between metal shaft and body/engine, then churn it a couple of times and watch for the big blue spark jump to ground.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2017, 22:32:51 »

Police used manual 3.0 Senators. Cant remember if they were available in retail spec.  :-\

Manual was available as an option IIRC

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2017, 11:35:16 »

Steve

There not sequential injection and block fire the injectors so, you will see a small amount of fuel pulled in from the other pots.

Note, if testing the ignition system you should be able to pull a 30mm plus gap on this type of setup.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2017, 18:28:52 »

Many thanks Mark,
Will let you know as soon as I swap an injector.

Regards

Steev
Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 January 2017, 18:23:37 »

Hello all,
Have found why my recently acquired A2 Senator is missing. I did suspect injectors and got a set from Keith swapped the over but still the same. Took off the rocker cover and fired her up.

Rocker number 6 from the front of the engine is not moving-hence the misfire.

I'm thinking camshaft or hydraulic lifter-any advice on how to progress greatly appreciated.
Previous

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2017, 19:48:40 »

A good few years ago one of my older brothers gave me his series 11/2 that he'd taken off the road as it was only running on five.I took the cover off and found that both cam lobes on number two cylinder had worn so badly the valves weren't opening :o I chucked a second hand cam in it and all was fine again 8) Finished up selling the car as it needed a boat load of welding which is something I can't do,still wish I'd got that car though :'(

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2017, 20:05:42 »

Hello all,
Have found why my recently acquired A2 Senator is missing. I did suspect injectors and got a set from Keith swapped the over but still the same. Took off the rocker cover and fired her up.

Rocker number 6 from the front of the engine is not moving-hence the misfire.

I'm thinking camshaft or hydraulic lifter-any advice on how to progress greatly appreciated.
Having got as far as lifting the rocker cover it would only take a minute to undo the adjuster nut on rocker no6 and extract the hydraulic lifter.

I can't see if that is an inlet or an exhaust rocker - pick another rocker of the same persuasion ( probably no7) and compare the lifters and what you can see of the cam lobes.

Edit: actually I can see that no6 is an inlet (& so is no7)
« Last Edit: 27 January 2017, 20:07:32 by Andy H »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2017, 20:51:16 »

Thanks-I took the lifter out-looks quite gummed up-I've got it soaking in petrol.

The bottom is also concave.

I've also bought a nearly new one.

Regards

Steev
« Last Edit: 27 January 2017, 20:57:50 by Steve Brookman »
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 January 2017, 12:16:35 »

it's quite unusual although not unheard of for these engines to wear down the cam lobes through lack of servicing.the very early engines had a softer type cam which was modified in later models.chilled cast iron vs induction hardened.yours could very well be worn especially as you say the face of the lifter is concave.if you spin the engine with coil unplugged you should be able to tell or by putting the lifter back in and with finger pressure holding it down it should lift and fall approx 6mm.as should all the others.if the cam seems ok it is still worn thou because it shouldn't have a concave follower .you can replace this follower and with the valve closed tighten until all the slack is JUST taken up then turn one turn further.after a while the tappet will have self adjusted and the rocker arm should have slight movement.in an ideal world you should strip and clean the original followers and install them back in their original positions only.they are dismantleable .to replace the camshaft itself is a head off job .because it needs to come past the head bolts.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 January 2017, 12:51:02 »

Thanks cam in head!

I had a look-got the tappet piston freed off-but still not working.
 Tried to have a look at the cam and cannot feel any lobe on the cam-so now suspecting a cam shaft.

Question-how hard to change and if I can get a second hand one-will I have to replace all the tappets?

Regards
Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 January 2017, 13:15:22 »

Tappet base
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2017, 15:31:08 »

if you put the follower back in its hole does it lift when you spin the engine ? .if so it should go up and down approx 6mm when unworn.if any less it may work short term or none at all then the cam is u/s I'm afraid. there is no way it will come out even if you split the timing chain because it won't pass the cylinder head bolts on its way out.you can't undo them even separately because the head gasket will have hardened in place and would not take kindly to being uncompressed and then tightened again.so it's a head off job I'm sorry to say. not the hardest of jobs but the only way to change the cam. if it's a second hand cam it will need new followers throughout although again some don't recommend fitting new followers to a used cam. I've done it and they do work perfect but can sometimes be a little tappet and can wear quicker than using all new stuff. if you need any info or advice feel free to pm me .cheers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.