Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's all my power going?  (Read 1933 times)

spikeymikey

• View Profile
Where's all my power going?
« on: 15 August 2006, 17:26:23 »

Hi everyone - hoping you can help. I have a P reg Omega 2.0 16v Select Automatic with around 103,000 on the clock. I bought it back in April off a guy who said that he had a lot of work done on it especially around the engine managment system.

Anyway about 6 weeks ago, I was driving along and the orange management system light came on and the car just stopped. I took it to my local trusted garage who replaced the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor and coil pack and it ran fine again.

I then went on holiday for 11 days and when I came back couldnt start the car. Tried charging the battery but that didnt work. Called the RAC who kept trying to super charge the battery but it kept losing its charge. Stangely the radio went into SAFE mode and it was frozen- cant key in a thing which I thought happened after ten attempts?! Anyway, he fitted a brand new battery and the car was fine again.

Finally I was driving to work last week and the car started going wrong again. Lights were going on and off all over the dash and I couldn't accelerate so I gave up, drove home and stuck the car in the drive. Next morning I couldnt even get in the car. Its deadlocked itself and the key alone doesnt even work. Why does it do this. I've never known that before. Even on a flat battery you can still get in to a car normally.

I'm stumped. The RAC will have to come and tow it to a garage but I want to have some idea of whats going wrong so I dont get fleeced. Is it the alternator or worse?

Thanks for any help!

Spikeymikey

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Where's all my power going?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2006, 17:35:30 »

Sounds like a possible alternator fault they either over charge or empty the battery in some way, it would help to explain the dash light flashing on and off, do you know which ones were flashing up.

When you had it running did the lights flash at certain revs or was it constant.

Could be a case of needing both battery and alternator.

Someone suggested to test how much current is being pushed about when running using I think its a multimeter, I could be wrong but someone should be able to confirm my thoughts.

Oh and Welcome to the site spikeymikey :)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2006, 17:38:42 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2006, 17:36:26 »

Welcome :D

If you can get it started, can you post the battery voltage when revving to 3000 rpm.

Also, check the FAQ on this site, and do a 'papeclip test' and post back results

:)
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2006, 18:01:56 »

Could be a faulty voltage regulator, oh, and welcome.

spikeymikey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2006, 18:08:09 »

Thaks guys and hi to all.

As I cant get into the car I cant look at the manual to check which lights were coming on or to open the bonnet to try and charge the engine. The RAC can brake into it I think?

The lights werent flashing regularly on the dash as I remember and different lights were going off.

I'm still not sure why the car is deadlocked?

Sorry I'm not an expert on these things but I'm learning!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2006, 18:19:30 »

As I cant get into the car I cant look at the manual to check which lights were coming on or to open the bonnet to try and charge the engine. The RAC can brake into it I think?

The lights werent flashing regularly on the dash as I remember and different lights were going off.

I'm not talking from experiance but I'm led to believe that you can open a 'dead' dead-locked car with the key. It's more difficult than if the battery 'helped' but failing that, crawl in through the boot, your key will open that. Either flip a seat forward (it's possible - been there with a fully deadlocked Senator) or power the car up via the boot light enough to remote open the car.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2006, 18:29:50 »

As said, key should open it...
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2006, 18:32:42 »

I'm not talking from experiance but I'm led to believe that you can open a 'dead' dead-locked car with the key. It's more difficult than if the battery 'helped' but failing that, crawl in through the boot, your key will open that. Either flip a seat forward (it's possible - been there with a fully deadlocked Senator) or power the car up via the boot light enough to remote open the car.

This is correct, I had to do it with mine when the battery failed. You have to turn the key much harder to release the deadlocks, it's a bit scary (I was worried I'd snap the the key) but can be done & failing that; as said above enough power can be sent via the boot light for the remote to work.

« Last Edit: 15 August 2006, 18:33:21 by paulmccristall »
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2006, 20:05:52 »

Sounds like the battery is faulty or something is draining the battery. If your any good with a multimeter you can check the current being drawn from the battery when everything is switched off. I've not checked but I would imagine the current should be less than 50 milliamps when everything is switched off.

It will seem quite hard to open the door with no power and just the key as you are trying to turn the central locking motor on the door as well as the lock but it should open.  

spikeymikey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2006, 23:17:37 »

I've tried opening the door again with the key and despite superhuman strength its not happening. I can get in via the boot, but the car wont start anyway and you cant even open the doors from the inside!

Does anyone know why its immobilised/deadlock. Why would battery failiure do that. Is it normal?

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2006, 07:42:23 »

As you can get in via the boot open the bonnet so you can check the battery. Knowing what the battery voltage is will help with fault diagnosis.
If its flat you will be able to charge it and open the doors hopefully.

TheOutcast

« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2006, 08:35:00 »

I've tried opening the door again with the key and despite superhuman strength its not happening. I can get in via the boot, but the car wont start anyway and you cant even open the doors from the inside!

Does anyone know why its immobilised/deadlock. Why would battery failure do that. Is it normal?
If you can get in through the boot, then you can open the bonnet! Once the bonnet is open you can use jump leads to give you power to open the doors etc. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2006, 09:31:42 »

......  and you cant even open the doors from the inside!?
So .... your dead locks work then!  ;)
Either open the bonnet from inside the car as SpickyMickey said or put a (car) battery across the wires to the boot light wires which will supply the car with enough amps for the key/fob to unlock it.

Does anyone know why its immobilised/deadlock. Why would battery failiure do that. Is it normal?
The dead locks triggered when you press 'close' on your key/fob twice before your battery died.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2006, 09:41:07 by Andy_B »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2006, 09:35:12 »

I suspect either a nackered alternator cooking the battery or something is flattening it.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.