Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy differential?  (Read 6821 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy differential?
« Reply #30 on: 28 July 2017, 12:17:41 »

Out of interest how many miles on this example?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 July 2017, 12:28:22 »

Pretty much every noisy diff I have seen has been as a result of the pinion oil seal being changed incorrectly and the bearing pre-load being wrong.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 July 2017, 13:14:33 »

175707, but the diff is not original, it was changed in July2011 by previous owner forum member ajsphead. This car seems to get throught differentials quite briskly.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 July 2017, 13:39:54 »

175707, but the diff is not original, it was changed in July2011 by previous owner forum member ajsphead. This car seems to get throught differentials quite briskly.

Yeah it does!

160k on 3.2 no signs of diff noise.
190k on 2.2 when I let that go, no issues there.
~140k on father T's 2.2 again no issues there
~130k I think on our old 3.0 Estate, again no issues.

Pretty much every noisy diff I have seen has been as a result of the pinion oil seal being changed incorrectly and the bearing pre-load being wrong.

I won't look at changing the seal then on mine  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 July 2017, 13:49:09 »

Jack car and support as per your last post.

Exhaust can stay, 6 female hex bolts on each hub, undo compress the drive shaft towards the diff and swing away from the hub... Then pull out of diff. Undo the driveshaft flange and then finally diff supported, undo the two rear mount and the front one and lower away.

Refit is the reverse. An hours work with your pit.

Today's top tip, drain the diff first...

And don't forget to refill the new one :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 July 2017, 13:56:38 »

Exhaust can stay, 6 female hex bolts on each hub, undo compress the drive shaft towards the diff and swing away from the hub... Then pull out of diff. Undo the driveshaft flange and then finally diff supported, undo the two rear mount and the front one and lower away.

Point to note... the six hex bolts that connect the drive shafts to the hubs are "stretch bolts" and, in theory, should be used only once. .. so 12 needed :(

I've no idea if the re-use of the bolts when I changed the diff was the cause of my problems with a drive shaft coming loose last year, but I would not wish that on anyone if it happened at speed - I was lucky it happened at less than walking pace but still wrecked the drive shaft.

"Pulling out" the drive shafts was not as easy as it sounds .. I had to get a tyre lever in behind the ABS Reductor wheel and very carefully prise the shaft outwards to overcome the spring clip thingy, once it started to move then it pulled out OK.

There was a "small" problem with the diff bolts, the ones needed for the replacement were different to the ones I took off with the old diff. Shackeng took us all around little places in swidnod until we found some that worked !!

The diff , even when empty, is reasonably heavy and cannot be supported one handed ...   don't ask me how I know .. :)  (don't have the luxury of a pit so mine was done on axle stands with very limited space .... you can probably guess what happened .....  :)   )

Fitting the replacement with the help of RobG and Shackeng was far easier and less painful ....   :)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 14:01:20 by Entwood »

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 July 2017, 19:25:22 »

I supported diff with my cheek when I replaced mine laying on the floor under the jacked car. It kind of slipped when I was lowering it :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 July 2017, 19:21:16 »

Job is done, now I have to reill with oil. Haynes says fill with special Vx diff oil, but top up with any old SAE90 axle oil. In the past I have had garages change my diffs, and they have charged me for any old SAE90. I find i have on the shalf half a litre of GM rear axle oil, and 500mls of Duckhams SAE90DL hypoid gear oil. That will do, won't it?

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 July 2017, 20:34:48 »

I've sold a couple of diffs lately, both had somehow locked up and knackered the driveshafts , diff and driveshafts weigh 62 kg packed together by the way  :o
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 July 2017, 21:21:26 »

I've sold a couple of diffs lately, both had somehow locked up and knackered the driveshafts , diff and driveshafts weigh 62 kg packed together by the way  :o
My diff weighed 35kilos, or 63 lbs. I take my hat off to guys who fit them single handed, without a pit.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 August 2017, 13:39:36 »

Rejoice, rejoice! The job is done, and after a short test drive all seems well. It took me longer then I expected, but never mind. Thanks to all for advice, for diagnosis, execution, and correction of silly errors. The hardest bit was manoeuvring the new diff into place single handed. I see why Entwood was glad of help from Shackeng and RobG. I did it with the diff strapped to the saddle of a trolley jack.

I take a foolish pride that I did the job at no cost to myself. All the bits were from my parts heap, local Halfords had no SAE90 oil so I made do with what I had. I suffered no major injuries, just numerous minor ones.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 August 2017, 13:49:31 »

As simple as that. No need to touch the horizontal bolt through the mounting. The U cage will either fall off or not... ;)

Don't lift the diff... If using your pit, use a stout piece of timber across it with filler blocks to make up the difference to the diff casing.
I did check, both were OK, much to my relief, as I gather they are now unobtainable. Worth checking though, thanks for the tip.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 August 2017, 14:07:14 »

Point to note... the six hex bolts that connect the drive shafts to the hubs are "stretch bolts" and, in theory, should be used only once. .. so 12 needed :(

I've no idea if the re-use of the bolts when I changed the diff was the cause of my problems with a drive shaft coming loose last year, but I would not wish that on anyone if it happened at speed - I was lucky it happened at less than walking pace but still wrecked the drive shaft.

"Pulling out" the drive shafts was not as easy as it sounds .. I had to get a tyre lever in behind the ABS Reductor wheel and very carefully prise the shaft outwards to overcome the spring clip thingy, once it started to move then it pulled out OK.

There was a "small" problem with the diff bolts, the ones needed for the replacement were different to the ones I took off with the old diff. Shackeng took us all around little places in swidnod until we found some that worked !!

The diff , even when empty, is reasonably heavy and cannot be supported one handed ...   don't ask me how I know .. :)  (don't have the luxury of a pit so mine was done on axle stands with very limited space .... you can probably guess what happened .....  :)   )

Fitting the replacement with the help of RobG and Shackeng was far easier and less painful ....   :)
Curiously Haynes does not tell me to replace the drive shaft bolts, though they are angle tightened so they presumably are stretch bolts. I found it quite tricky to torque them up to 50Nm with those internal hexagons, without further angle tightening. though I appreciate engine power is conveyed to the wheels by friction between drive shaft end and hub. I have changed drive shafts before and didn't give it a thought, but now I am worried. Presumably I can angle tighten on re-used bolts.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 August 2017, 08:31:40 »

Postscript: after 40 miles I checked the drive shaft to hub bolts, and torqued them up to 56Nm. None were loose. I did not angle tighten them, I was nervous of breaking one off. I will check again after 1000 miles.

I discovered that drive shafts are best unbolted and re-bolted with the car suspended uner the suspension, but drive shafts more easily removed and replaced with car suspended under the body (hubs hanging down).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 August 2017, 09:32:25 »

Always support the body using the jacking points and jack the suspension as required ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.