Chat Area > General Car Chat

Any motorhome owners on here.

(1/16) > >>

2boxerdogs:
Looking like we are in for quite a windfall from a relative who died a few weeks ago & left wifey a property in SW2 valued at around £400,000. We have had caravans for a number of years & always fancied a motorhome anyone on here up to speed on them ?

Entwood:
As a caravan owner/user I have several friends with motorhomes, and when we toured New Zealand we hired one so a few points worth considering, perhaps...

1. Cost - much higher costs as you are buying a truck that has been modified by sticking the accomodation on the back. It WILL require taxing, motor insurance as well as habitation insurance, servicing costs can be high as many independent garages don't have the facilities to get a truck that high onto lifts.

2. Ease of use - many motorhomes are quite a bit smaller internally than a caravan, so can feel cramped. If you have friends in there is usually very limited space for seating more than a total of 4.

3. Mobility - there are two sides to this... a) If you tend to stay in one place for a while and use it as a base to visit other places (hub and spoke sort of idea) then it can be very inconvenient to have to pack up everything to go out for the day, and many supermarket car parks have very limiting height rules - this can be overcome by taking a small car with you .. but that is yet a further cost, and not a small one !! b) If you continually move from place to place (as we did when touring New Zealand) then a motorhome is ideal as the setting up/ preparing to move times are much smaller than preparing a 'van to move

4. Facilities - due to the limitation on size many motorhomes have small dual-purpose showers/toilets, smaller hobs/ovens and very little worktop space. If you buy one with an "over cab" space think about the ease of actually getting up there to use it !! IME the "ladders" are extremely flimsy and not easy to use !

There are those that swear by motorhomes, and those that wouldn't touch one, I think they both have a place, dpending on the lifestyle you want. I wouldn't swap my van/towcar for the type of holidays we have in UK/Europe, but there is no way I would use such an arrangement to tour New Zealand/Australia, that would be a motorhome everytime.

HTH, just my thoughts, nowt else :)

henryd:

--- Quote from: Entwood on 14 May 2019, 22:36:59 ---As a caravan owner/user I have several friends with motorhomes, and when we toured New Zealand we hired one so a few points worth considering, perhaps...

1. Cost - much higher costs as you are buying a truck that has been modified by sticking the accomodation on the back. It WILL require taxing, motor insurance as well as habitation insurance, servicing costs can be high as many independent garages don't have the facilities to get a truck that high onto lifts.

2. Ease of use - many motorhomes are quite a bit smaller internally than a caravan, so can feel cramped. If you have friends in there is usually very limited space for seating more than a total of 4.

3. Mobility - there are two sides to this... a) If you tend to stay in one place for a while and use it as a base to visit other places (hub and spoke sort of idea) then it can be very inconvenient to have to pack up everything to go out for the day, and many supermarket car parks have very limiting height rules - this can be overcome by taking a small car with you .. but that is yet a further cost, and not a small one !! b) If you continually move from place to place (as we did when touring New Zealand) then a motorhome is ideal as the setting up/ preparing to move times are much smaller than preparing a 'van to move

4. Facilities - due to the limitation on size many motorhomes have small dual-purpose showers/toilets, smaller hobs/ovens and very little worktop space. If you buy one with an "over cab" space think about the ease of actually getting up there to use it !! IME the "ladders" are extremely flimsy and not easy to use !

There are those that swear by motorhomes, and those that wouldn't touch one, I think they both have a place, dpending on the lifestyle you want. I wouldn't swap my van/towcar for the type of holidays we have in UK/Europe, but there is no way I would use such an arrangement to tour New Zealand/Australia, that would be a motorhome everytime.

HTH, just my thoughts, nowt else :)

--- End quote ---

Like Entwood I have a caravan(6 berth twin axle) and  we also use father inlaws Bessacar 6 berth campervan,the points made are very valid as camper has much less space than the caravan even though externally as big,I do prefer the campervan in France as they are very geared towards them but in UK I prefer the caravan,biggest problem with the camper is that you have forward plan small villages due to physical size of the camper and finding somewhere to park 30 ft length can be awkward .

Doctor Gollum:
£400k buys quite alot of motor home...

https://www.anglo-americanrv.co.uk/used-motorhomes/holiday-rambler-sceptre-roadmaster-iver-201811262760206

Starter for 10, but you get the idea ;)

Also most European ones are lightly built on chassis that are crap from new... Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat.

For your budget VanHool would probably build you a very nice coach conversion https://www.vanhool.be/en/specials 8)

Viral_Jim:
In my opinion, I would go for one of these:
http://fifthwheelco.com/

It would mean swapping the TerribleCan for a Ranger or similar but c'est la vie  :y

We saw a few (4-5 total) while we had our six month homeless period and they looked the absolute business. You'd better have your reversing A-Game on though as you can't (as easily) get one of those cheaty motor-mover jobbies. You can buy 'Lightweight' american ones that have been converted for UK use and clock in under the 3.5T limit. For example:

https://www.thesttgroup.com/shop/caravans/2017-eurocruiser-955/

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version