Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords  (Read 6829 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Halfords
« Reply #30 on: 12 November 2019, 15:49:23 »

Dixon's is/was Currys.

Bloody pedant  >:(....whatever it was it was a different shop  ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 12 November 2019, 16:22:15 »

Dixon's is/was Currys.

Bloody pedant  >:(....whatever it was it was a different shop  ;D
I took something back to Dixons to exchange. They told me they had none in the shop and sent me round the corner to Currys. Same shop, so your missus should have had no problems  :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 November 2019, 18:25:24 »

With Halfords, it depends on the store.  I find the ineptness spreads throughout any given store.

The Bicester one, for example, is a proper waste of space.  They can't even sell you the right bits. They can never find stock if you click and collect. And the manager is a lycra brigade, and can't comprehend the idea of anything having an engine.

I avoid it like the plague.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 November 2019, 19:10:42 »

Mainly just get cleaning stuff etc from Hellfrauds, but when the well priced genuine GM Astra air filter was cancelled by the seller as they had no stock (23 remaining when I ordered) I called in at Hellfrauds and grabbed a 'Cooper' one for £2.00 more off the shelf...
 Well it's not my car!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 November 2019, 10:25:27 »

What was funny was a time when looking for work I applied for a job there, and didnt even get an interview. This is someone who's been tinkering with cars since as long as I can remember, theres a photo of me somewhere with a wheelbrace working on a HC Viva's rostyle at about aged 4!

Now I never claim to be any sort of mechanic, I'm just a tinkerer willing to learn, but thats sort of symptomatic of the level of person they want to employ, I'd imagine if an ex mechanic of 20 yrs experience applied they'd turn the down. They actually want the Currys/generic Phone Shop/fast food brigade, we all know the types, blank stare, as little personality as possible, to scan stuff through the till and anything else more challenging just 'go and ask someone'

And I really wanted that Halfords staff discount, too!!!  >:( ;D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 November 2019, 16:58:54 »

They want people they can pay minimum wage to, and won't complain.

But then retail is Donald ducked anyway.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 November 2019, 17:47:39 »

I worked at Halfords in 1977/78.

I knew less than SFA, but was still one of the 'better informed' kids who worked there.

Sounds like thing have not improved much over the past forty years.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 14 November 2019, 07:56:52 »

I worked at Halfords in 1977/78.

I feel so young! Keep it up, Opti..

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 November 2019, 09:26:36 »

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 November 2019, 23:43:10 »

Their wiper blade paper folder thingy has gone high tech
Looks like an Ipad & you enter your Reg to return data on consumables
The device I used refused to swipe or scroll down, so it`s utterly useless  >:(
So iI go & find a gofor & ask her what  I need for swmbo`s Audi
we return to entering the reg & she decides all they have are rear blades for this car
Then I enter my reg & you guessed it, the first line of blades displayed are for Mig rears
The device then locked up & greyed out, but my Gofor was wired for sound & contacted Q
Q was up by the till & shouted down to her that  "Pad don`t work Shannon, your gonna have to look it up on this till " I think I mumbled " Oh fudge " But Shannon bless her walked behind the parts counter where the old paper thingy was hiding & looked it up old school  :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 November 2019, 08:40:46 »

Was down near our local store not long ago and there was a young lass pulling/pushing/twisting the front wiper blade on a Jag XF trying to work out how to remove it from the car while a young lad[the second half of the "fitting" team]was laying wiper blades out on the floor[out of their packaging] to be ready to compare with the removed one-if she ever managed to remove it!!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 November 2019, 08:44:29 »

Similar to where I work, I'd like to think I'm one of the 'better informed' idiots there... but 80% of it is what I know from outside of work, by just living and listening, not any training I've received from work. There's an intensive trainig program, that's the irony, takes about 10-odd hours to complete... none of it relevant to the job! I've never needed to know any of it! But we then get the newbies who after a month can't place orders, or look stuff up on the system, or check for incoming stock etc... and this is basics they should be taught first week. So lack of training is the main gripe, and if they're off to uni in 5 minutes, why bother?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 November 2019, 08:48:23 »

Was down near our local store not long ago and there was a young lass pulling/pushing/twisting the front wiper blade on a Jag XF trying to work out how to remove it from the car while a young lad[the second half of the "fitting" team]was laying wiper blades out on the floor[out of their packaging] to be ready to compare with the removed one-if she ever managed to remove it!!

Ah, yes, let's get some lovely grit from the tarmac stuck to these blades to scrape all over the glass windscreen!

Right, I take back my previous post, they're just morons!  ;D

Actually, last time I went in there for anything other than a browse I grabbed a guy and asked him about removing my head unit, and all credit to him, he was sound, knew what he was talking about and sat with me for a good ten minutes with the correct metal tools and plastic pry levers fiddling without damaging a thing, no charge, I wasn't even after buying anything, he was just being helpful for the sake of being helpful.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 November 2019, 09:55:11 »

Too be fair, changing windscreen wipers is often akin to doing the Krypton Factor!  ::)  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 November 2019, 11:18:55 »

Their wiper blade paper folder thingy has gone high tech
Looks like an Ipad & you enter your Reg to return data on consumables
The device I used refused to swipe or scroll down, so it`s utterly useless  >:(
So iI go & find a gofor & ask her what  I need for swmbo`s Audi
we return to entering the reg & she decides all they have are rear blades for this car
Then I enter my reg & you guessed it, the first line of blades displayed are for Mig rears
The device then locked up & greyed out, but my Gofor was wired for sound & contacted Q
Q was up by the till & shouted down to her that  "Pad don`t work Shannon, your gonna have to look it up on this till " I think I mumbled " Oh fudge " But Shannon bless her walked behind the parts counter where the old paper thingy was hiding & looked it up old school  :y
They've used that for years now.  And if the one near the wipers isn't working, use the one near the bulbs for eg - they are all the same ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.