Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aldi 3D printer £50 discount  (Read 5288 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Aldi 3D printer £50 discount
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2018, 09:47:58 »

Me, I'd settle for a clapped out Bridgeport..

Nowt wrong with an old Bridgeport. Work replaced an ageing Bridgeport with some kind of Bridgeport copy ..... crap in comparison. They should have just re-furb'd the original machine.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2018, 09:59:03 »

Me, I'd settle for a clapped out Bridgeport..

Nowt wrong with an old Bridgeport. Work replaced an ageing Bridgeport with some kind of Bridgeport copy ..... crap in comparison. They should have just re-furb'd the original machine.

Indeed - the only reason I'd have to settle for a clapped out one, is that even clapped out ones are ~£1500 these days! Still, cheaper than £2500 for a modern copy that won't be as good..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2018, 18:52:15 »

"Sadly". Suuuure. I bet bright pink is the only colour you own, TB  :P
Whilst you can never have enough colours and materials, I think I have enough...

Top right is 4 unopened 1kg reels, above the printer is a dozen or so unopened (boxed) or part used (in clear sealed bags) 1kg reels.

And the bright pink (technically called dark pink) taking pride of place on the printer.

I know, it must be a fettish ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2018, 19:18:55 »

Got to love a man cave :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2018, 19:22:32 »

That lot would make a lovely blaze.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 December 2018, 20:53:23 »

Don't ask about the Mosfets or rating of the supplied connecter for the printer head, but they are, from what I have read, popular parts to replace so there is controlled heat to just melt the plastic rather than uncontrolled heat to torch the room. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 December 2018, 12:26:14 »

Don't ask about the Mosfets or rating of the supplied connecter for the printer head, but they are, from what I have read, popular parts to replace so there is controlled heat to just melt the plastic rather than uncontrolled heat to torch the room. ::) ::) ::)
Mine is a couple of years old, and has been heavily used.  I never felt the need to add external fet drivers.  I think the connectors melt because people don't build them right, and due to the high currents involved, not making a good connection, or over tightening so it twists the connector, stressing the solder joint, causes it to heat.

If I upped the voltage to 24v for the hotbed, something I'm considering, as the 12v one takes forever to reach the 110C I use for ABS prints, I would definitely use external drivers though.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2018, 13:02:15 »

Oh, look! a Weller TCP. ;D

I think I have one of those for every room in the house and a box of spares in the loft. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2018, 14:22:34 »

I think I have one of those for every room in the house and a box of spares in the loft. ;)
That's my last one, as my other one isn't heating...   ...probably element, but given the whole thing is held together by epoxy (gravity beat it in a big argument), I think replacing it might be challenging.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2018, 14:41:21 »

That's my last one, as my other one isn't heating...   ...probably element, but given the whole thing is held together by epoxy (gravity beat it in a big argument), I think replacing it might be challenging.

I'll bring my spares box next time I'm passing Brackley. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2018, 19:36:05 »

So TB, if money was no object .. would you prefer the Anet A8, or this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XDFQ3LR/

I find a lot of conflicting information, and I am leaning toward the A8 not because of cost, but because of the giant knowledge base for Prusa clones..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2018, 20:11:35 »

So TB, if money was no object .. would you prefer the Anet A8, or this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XDFQ3LR/

I find a lot of conflicting information, and I am leaning toward the A8 not because of cost, but because of the giant knowledge base for Prusa clones..
I'm assuming this is your first 3d printer, as you're looking budget end.

For that reason alone, I'd recommend the Anet A8 (or other clones).

It has its issues, sure.  ABS is challenging (though its not the easiest to print with on anything), partly due to difficultly it heating the bed to 110C.  TPU can be stringy, though I'm sure I just need to play with settings.  More fundamentally, my particular one (and all clones are slightly different components) had worrying little protection over the mains connections, which is a very serious flaw.  Obviously, I've now printed a cover. People grumble the bed levelling is tedious, but I don't find it especially so. I also print on glass which once in a while I paint in PVA.  Other people use hairspray (hence the can of Tesco hairspray on my top shelf), PrittStick and all sorts of other things to get bed adhesion.

On the upside, being a kit, you understand exactly how it works, and understand when something aint right.  The other upside is its only £100 or so, and unlike, say, the XYZ ones, uses bog standard filament.  I usually get my filament from the Chinese boys toys outlet Hobbyking, and 1Kg of PLA is around £10-13.

Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 December 2018, 10:45:26 »

Having little space I get harassed about my Prusa i3 which is steadily printing my first RC aircraft (aka drone).  I may have to upgrade to get a metal frame one which allows me to easily dismantle for storage between prints.  Of course, it would be rude not to upgrade the bed size, printing area and head while I was at it :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 December 2018, 11:04:38 »

Having little space I get harassed about my Prusa i3 which is steadily printing my first RC aircraft (aka drone).  I may have to upgrade to get a metal frame one which allows me to easily dismantle for storage between prints.  Of course, it would be rude not to upgrade the bed size, printing area and head while I was at it

Just like Trigger's broom?

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 December 2018, 11:18:22 »

Having little space I get harassed about my Prusa i3 which is steadily printing my first RC aircraft (aka drone).  I may have to upgrade to get a metal frame one which allows me to easily dismantle for storage between prints.  Of course, it would be rude not to upgrade the bed size, printing area and head while I was at it :y
I was thinking about space, after replying earlier. And moving the printer into and out of storage.

The Prusa i3 (and its clones) are quite a reasonably compact size for their (pretty generous) print area, but are, for most, a little too big unless you have loads of space.  As you can see from the picture I posted earlier, mine does get in the way a bit, reducing space on my play bench (I have loads of space on my work desk in the same room, but I need that for work).

Some of the Prusa's are autolevelling, but most Anet A8's aren't, and after moving it, it really does need relevelling.  I have a natural distrust of (low cost) autolevelling, hence I haven't retrofitted the kit to mine.

As to RC aircraft, what you building? Plane? Plank? Multicopter?  Not sure I'd print an airframe, when the cost of kits is so low.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.