Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Care crisis  (Read 4912 times)

STEMO

Re: Care crisis
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2019, 17:44:42 »

Im less than half a year away from 60 ! It doesn't seem more than a few years ago that I came to England just before my 20th birthday.
The scary thing is that the older I get, the quicker the time goes.  ::)
I shall soon be sat by the sunny window with a bit of potato stuck to my chin.  :D
I'm 66 and did a 10k walk in a hour and a half this morning. Stop working 72 hours a week and do some exercise. Now.  ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2019, 18:05:48 »

Im less than half a year away from 60 ! It doesn't seem more than a few years ago that I came to England just before my 20th birthday.
I shall soon be sat by the sunny window with a bit of potato stuck to my chin.  :D
I'm 66 and did a 10k walk in a hour and a half this morning. Stop working 72 hours a week and do some exercise. Now.  ;D

Can't beat walking I'm out every day for at least an hour with the dog that's after 30 lengths at my local pool I was 65 in March & am probably fitter now than I was in 1989.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2019, 18:08:06 »

72 hours ? That's a short week for me. Did 108 hours a couple of weeks ago.
Problem is, my right leg is properly ficked. It would be made better to an extent by a knee replacement, but Docs don't want to do the op until Im older.
This makes exercise a bit of a problem. Swimming might be the best option but I hate swimming. Its fickin tedious.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2019, 18:27:54 »

Luckily my father in law is only spending £910 a week on his care home fees , absolute bargain  >:(

My Granddad was lucky.  My aunt lived down the road and he had a Full Senior Local Government pension, and so she employed a team of part time carers, taken from the local village, to take it in turns to get him up, feed him and keep his house clean.  She trained each of them, and it included Teenagers looking to go into nursing, mothers, who had children in the local school, and people willing to stay over at night, for an hourly rate which was competitive.  Most came from the local church. If there was a problem, they could call her or one of her kids (one was a nurse), if she was on holiday

She considered this more cost effective and he certainly got the right care. This was only possible due to his Pension. And the Power of Attorney.
It also meant that the time she spent with him, was mainly social, and she did not become his carer. 
It also meant that the standard of care, was at a level she trained the whole team to provide.   

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2019, 18:49:09 »

In dealing with care homes for family members I am now into my 9th year of experience. Trouble is there are so many variables and busy people with families do not always have the time to research solutions. if there is property involved and both parents alive at the time then ideally you should have  (well in advance of the problem arising)  organised their  house ownership as tenants in common so that half the estate is protected. You cannot do this after the event of in clear contemplation of avoiding care fees or the authorities will cry foul. Too complex to put in detail on here.

My mother is paying £250 a week for full nursing care in a care home which is based on her available income. The equity in her share of the house was used up some years ago but at least she is in an excellent home but 210 miles from where I live. She unfortunately refused to move down to us when we offered many years ago and now it is too late.

I had 3 of these situations to deal with and there is always a great sense of injustice at the system but the balances between state and personal are sort of understandable and brings some sort of efficiency to proceedings although not necessarily understandable when you meet it for the first time.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2019, 19:39:28 »

Improved medical technology will mean we will all live longer, healthier lives in the future & also work much longer which is important for demographics & ever decreasing global birth rates. Dementia, cancer, circulation & mobility treatments will continue to improve rapidly.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2019, 19:45:16 »

Improved medical technology will mean we will all live longer, healthier lives in the future & also work much longer which is important for demographics & ever decreasing global birth rates. Dementia, cancer, circulation & mobility treatments will continue to improve rapidly.
Correct, except for one, minor exclusion. This will only apply to people who can afford the treatment(s) privately.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2019, 20:09:42 »

Correct, except for one, minor exclusion. This will only apply to people who can afford the treatment(s) privately.

Natural selection at work then?   :D

It won't do much for the gene pool though as they'll all be too old to reproduce!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2019, 23:05:57 »

Can't beat walking I'm out every day for at least an hour with the dog that's after 30 lengths at my local pool I was 65 in March & am probably fitter now than I was in 1989.
I find that i can ride faster and quicker on my bike at 74 than i could when i was in my early 60s. Perhaps it,s because i no longer have to do a full days work now. :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2019, 23:12:43 »

Me too :-X :-X

::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2019, 23:15:18 »

I walked a couple of miles home from the pub Tuesday night, my knee was sore all day Wednesday  :( (I'm 57)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2019, 08:48:34 »

I walked a couple of miles home from the pub Tuesday night, my knee was sore all day Wednesday  :( (I'm 57)

I'm very fortunate in that department,I don't suffer any aches or pains at all
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2019, 09:35:09 »

The first question Spanish GPs ask when you have an appointment is “ Are you walking? “ Everyone walks each day. Maybe it isn't theMediterranean diet....

We have just finished with the fourth family member in their 90’s and care. All a very mixed bag.  Most people with no experience of people having care just have no idea of the issues.

Just got my dad to go but he is managing just fine so far without care .
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2019, 10:05:53 »

Apart from my shoulder, knee & hip neither do I  ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2019, 10:54:27 »

Apart from my shoulder, knee & hip neither do I  ;D ;D

Neither do I, well, not on the way back from the pub. On the way there might be a different matter. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.