Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford Bridgend  (Read 8138 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Bridgend
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2019, 07:37:28 »

Yes I think that JLR have done that classic British thing of achieving success and then sitting back on their laurels while the world moves on around them.  :-\

What utter crap.

JLR have excellent diesels and petrols on offer plus PVEV, MHEV and electric, if the customer chooses to buy diesel then that's their choice (and probably a sensible one at the moment).

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2019, 07:39:56 »

Had a look on an expat forum today and predictably the closure was slated as

“Yet another closure due to Brexit, will the Quitlings never learn.”

I read elsewhere that 9 out of every 10 Jaguar Land Rover vehicles being produced is a diesel. If that is true it is a bit of bad forward planning.

Its closing because it didn't get the new engine variant placed there AND because the JLR V8 petrol is being phased out, think what you like, no company will take a risk in an unstable economy where the investment could be badly damaged.......if there are unknowns and you have options you avoid them.

Is it 100% down to Brexit, clearly not, is it a factor, absolutely

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2019, 10:34:15 »

Very sad for Bridgend and comes hard on the heels of the Welsh government cancelling the M4 relief scheme at Newport, where the motorway becomes a car park twice a day during rush hour.  :-X

I'm sure the newts on the Gwent levels are happy though.  :y
Its what "we" voted for, remember.  Obviously not the only cause, but certainly in the mix.  Any global company is going to put the investment in where it will work out best for the company, and that's rarely going to be the lonely rock in the North Sea that doesn't want to play with the neighbours.

Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2019, 10:37:07 »

I read elsewhere that 9 out of every 10 Jaguar Land Rover vehicles being produced is a diesel. If that is true it is a bit of bad forward planning.
Like any company anywhere, JLR will build what people want.  And 9 out of 10 JLR customers think diesels are the best compromise.  And a modern diesel is as clean as a modern petrol, not that you could get that into the skull of your average, vocal do-gooder.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2019, 10:37:29 »

Opps, should have read the 2nd page before replying ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2019, 10:40:52 »

think what you like, no company will take a risk in an unstable economy where the investment could be badly damaged.......if there are unknowns and you have options you avoid them.

No, no, no, you can't say that here.  The EU is going to roll over and let us demand anything we want, and still pay for the Welsh M4 improvements. And give us trillions of pounds, because we're so important.

;)
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2019, 11:32:16 »

think what you like, no company will take a risk in an unstable economy where the investment could be badly damaged.......if there are unknowns and you have options you avoid them.

No, no, no, you can't say that here.  The EU is going to roll over and let us demand anything we want, and still pay for the Welsh M4 improvements. And give us trillions of pounds, because we're so important.

;)

and businesses can afford to wait x years whilst any uncertainty is worked out.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2019, 12:38:23 »

Like any company anywhere, JLR will build what people want.  And 9 out of 10 JLR customers think diesels are the best compromise.  And a modern diesel is as clean as a modern petrol, not that you could get that into the skull of your average, vocal do-gooder.

Might be "technically" true when it's in a laboratory but you only have to smell / see the sh1te coming out of a 10+ year old diseasel (which are all new enough have DPFs, etc. etc.) to know that many of them are fit for the crusher at that age whereas petrol engines tend to fare much better. The emissions control systems on diesel engines are simply not durable enough and the rotten ones are not picked up adequately by the MOT testing regime currently.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2019, 12:49:37 »

I’ve followed all my cars enough to see which smoke, so at this point remain unconvinced a petrol is significantly cleaner than a modern euro6 soot chucker

However, I know which is more fun
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2019, 13:03:23 »

Its closing because it didn't get the new engine variant placed there AND because the JLR V8 petrol is being phased out, think what you like, no company will take a risk in an unstable economy where the investment could be badly damaged.......if there are unknowns and you have options you avoid them.

A financial correspondent on the BBC stated "investment in the UK motor business is 80% down" this year.

Honda going from Swindon and now this...!!

Whatever the actual cause, or a combination of reasons, that is very disturbing.

It has also been said that the whole world's motor industry has seen a massive decline in sales.

Not good for the UK that is for sure!! :( :(
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 13:05:16 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2019, 13:27:37 »

You can keep your old car, or buy a new one that's a clone of the one you've already got, or pay tens of thousands for an upmarket jag, beemer, merc, etc.
The top end sales, I believe, are holding up, but I wouldn't trade my astra for a newer car of similar ilk, they're just not different enough so not worth spending money on.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 June 2019, 14:20:32 »

A financial correspondent on the BBC stated "investment in the UK motor business is 80% down" this year.

Honda going from Swindon and now this...!!

Whatever the actual cause, or a combination of reasons, that is very disturbing.

It has also been said that the whole world's motor industry has seen a massive decline in sales.

Not good for the UK that is for sure!! :( :(

No surprise from Ford, they have not built any sort of vehicle in the UK for years and have plenty of engine build capability around the world.

Everyone conveniently forgets the other side where JLR are starting electric motor production at the recently built engine facility near Wolverhampton and are building a shiny new battery facility near Birmingham to.

The down side is Disco and Defender being built in Europe and not Solihull

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 June 2019, 14:25:32 »

Might be "technically" true when it's in a laboratory but you only have to smell / see the sh1te coming out of a 10+ year old diseasel (which are all new enough have DPFs, etc. etc.) to know that many of them are fit for the crusher at that age whereas petrol engines tend to fare much better. The emissions control systems on diesel engines are simply not durable enough and the rotten ones are not picked up adequately by the MOT testing regime currently.

I'm not 100% convinced that derv is as 'clean'  as some suggest. :)

https://youtu.be/DtZ0LlDtP7A

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 June 2019, 14:41:04 »

No surprise from Ford, they have not built any sort of vehicle in the UK for years and have plenty of engine build capability around the world.

Everyone conveniently forgets the other side where JLR are starting electric motor production at the recently built engine facility near Wolverhampton and are building a shiny new battery facility near Birmingham to.

The down side is Disco and Defender being built in Europe and not Solihull

This is good, but why weren't they doing it a decade ago?  ???  Where was the XF or Disco 4 hybrid?

That is what I meant about JLR sitting back on their laurels, which you dismissed as utter crap.  They found a winning formula with their excellent big diesels and stuck with it....   ::)  As a luxury/expensive brand, they should have been a leader in this technology, instead they are following the pack....  ::)

The Toyota Prius has been around for 15-20 years now, and Lexus has been producing hybrid SUV's for 10 years or so?  It shouldn't have needed Mystic Meg to tell them that hybrid/EV were the future. :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 07 June 2019, 15:23:02 »

I really don't see how JLR can be in trouble. The amount of their 4x4's on the road around here is incredible. They're not old ones, either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.