Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford Bridgend  (Read 8140 times)

STEMO

Re: Ford Bridgend
« Reply #30 on: 07 June 2019, 15:24:41 »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 June 2019, 15:41:03 »

I really don't see how JLR can be in trouble. The amount of their 4x4's on the road around here is incredible. They're not old ones, either.
but how many are stolen ,on false plates, or hired  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 June 2019, 15:57:07 »

The approved used are a bargain  ;D

https://www.sytner.co.uk/landrover/car-search/wakefield/

£70000 for a slightly used posh van with windows and a 2 litre 4 pot lump.No thanks.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #33 on: 07 June 2019, 16:08:28 »

£70000 for a slightly used posh van with windows and a 2 litre 4 pot lump.No thanks.

Too right Opti, what an absolute waste of money..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2019, 17:26:30 »

This is good, but why weren't they doing it a decade ago?  ???  Where was the XF or Disco 4 hybrid?
Two things come to mine...

As a relatively small motor manufacturer, primary development has to go where the sales are going to be for the next few years.  And until very very recently, that was traditional cars and SUVs powered by an engine.

Secondly, unlike the likes of Tesla, who do their development on launched cars they have already sold to the public, it seems like JLR have been slowly plugging away at it for a few years.  A close family member was working on battery health/safety several years ago.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 June 2019, 17:28:20 »

Market forces will dictate 2nd hand prices, so clearly there are enough people who would not consider it a waste of money ;).  For somebody, its the ideal car.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 June 2019, 17:37:11 »

Market forces will dictate 2nd hand prices, so clearly there are enough people who would not consider it a waste of money ;). For somebody, its the ideal car.

That will be Mr Wealthy and his wife Mrs Wealthy. :)

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 07 June 2019, 17:43:24 »

Market forces will dictate 2nd hand prices, so clearly there are enough people who would not consider it a waste of money ;). For somebody, its the ideal car.

That will be Mr Wealthy and his wife Mrs Opti :)
Fixed that for you.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 June 2019, 17:43:58 »

President of Ford Europe, Stuart Rowley, said yesterday that the decision is nothing to do with Brexit.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 June 2019, 17:51:30 »

Market forces will dictate 2nd hand prices, so clearly there are enough people who would not consider it a waste of money ;).  For somebody, its the ideal car.

Indeed, and I for one would like one 8) 8) ;)

However, I was behind a Tesla Model X the other week and I fancied one of them, until I saw the list price :o :o :o :D :D ;)

As I was driving along a thought hit me - not too unusual ;D ;D - and it was that I know NOTING about electric engines in cars.

As a female petrol head with mechanical training I know some of the difference between 1 litre and 5 litre engines.  I know how the bhp as dramatically improved in relation to cc capacity over the decades;  I mean, a 1.4 litre car in 2019 can push out a level of bhp that a 5 litre engine in 1920 could only dream of.  I also understand domestic electrical installations, and the relationship to volts, watts and the resultant amperage with all that entails.

BUT, an electric engine..........!!!  What is the mechanical / electrical differences in output and power supply between a small electric car and that Tesla Model X?  I have not a clue and would not be able to go into a showroom and state what I actually want in an electric car as I can with buying, say a Ford Fiesta or a Red Label engined Bentley.  What are the differences?  What should consumers be looking for?  Yes, we all know range is important, but does doing a steady 50 mph in a Corsa-e or 80 mph in a Tesla make a difference with the range as it does with our petrol engine mpg's?

Apart from price, is it possible, or is it just me, that the general public are confused about what they are going to buy if deciding to go electric and that, especially with us older folk, is going to inhibit sales?

It certainly strikes me that Ford, and the rest of the traditional car industry are not doing enough to clarify exactly what an electric car is and can do, with the various options available.  Until they rectify this, is it possible or even a certainty, that many people will hold off of buying a new car, and that is what we are witnessing now, with the resultant effect that more Bridgend type engine plants will have to close due to a severe lack of demand as now being reported across the Globe? :o ??? ???

Just my thoughts! :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 17:55:57 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 June 2019, 17:54:43 »

President of Ford Europe, Stuart Rowley, said yesterday that the decision is nothing to do with Brexit.  ;)
He would ;). Mrs May said her deal was the best compromise deal available, but some chose to not believe that.

Honda have tried to avoid saying Brexit is the reason for closing Swindon, and so on.  Thats how global companies (have to) work.

But the clear facts are hard to deny.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 June 2019, 17:57:59 »

LZ - the lack of take up for electric cars still remains the range issue. And the 16hr charge time (fast charging mullers the batteries, whatever the manufacturer claims). And the fact if you discharge by over 50% reasonably regularly you muller the battery (whatever the manufacturer claims).

But all modern tizzy cars are in the category of proper quick off the line.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 June 2019, 18:04:36 »

LZ - the lack of take up for electric cars still remains the range issue. And the 16hr charge time (fast charging mullers the batteries, whatever the manufacturer claims). And the fact if you discharge by over 50% reasonably regularly you muller the battery (whatever the manufacturer claims).

Thanks TB, but the issue of the equivalent of mpg and use of the accelerator / the speed you do in electric cars is just one of the questions  I cannot answer in my mind ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 June 2019, 18:23:01 »

Thanks TB, but the issue of the equivalent of mpg and use of the accelerator / the speed you do in electric cars is just one of the questions  I cannot answer in my mind ;)
A current Tesla with the smallest battery available to have Lunatic Mode available (can't remember if thats 90 or 100kWh) is claimed 250+ miles to a charge, reality is half that in winter, even driven not too quickly. So, to avoid shagging the batts, around 60 miles range in winter, with a 16hr charge to avoid shagging the batteries.

Hence not for me, as although the 60m range would just about see me through, I leave before 7am, and get back around 6pm normally.  Thus is would only get a 12.5 hr charge.  And thats before you consider I wouldn't ever get near that level of range from it, in the same way I can't get the the 45mpg from the Pussy (nearer 30mg), or any other car I've ever owned.

Think of it like a proper big forced induction car, mpg wise.  What you read in the specs is what tunny may achieve on a good day.  Anyone who enjoys driving (properly) needs to budget around half to 2/3rds of that as a best case scenario.  Obviously in the case of electric, using heaters/chillers has a major impact.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 June 2019, 18:30:28 »

This is good, but why weren't they doing it a decade ago?  ???  Where was the XF or Disco 4 hybrid?
Two things come to mine...

As a relatively small motor manufacturer, primary development has to go where the sales are going to be for the next few years.  And until very very recently, that was traditional cars and SUVs powered by an engine.

I don't buy that TB, as JLR were part of FMC one of the biggest motor manufacturers and are now part of TATA a global industrial giant, but I agree that they are a victim of their own short termism.

Secondly, unlike the likes of Tesla, who do their development on launched cars they have already sold to the public, it seems like JLR have been slowly plugging away at it for a few years.  A close family member was working on battery health/safety several years ago.

Too slowly it seems....  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.