Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the OBD2 socket on a 2004 Astra 1.6 petrol?  (Read 35429 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the OBD2 socket on a 2004 Astra 1.6 petrol?
« Reply #90 on: 08 November 2018, 17:39:06 »

I finished the front wheel bearing thanks   :)

the disc on that was pretty stuck and required several good smacks with the FBH
(around the face between bolt holes ,then on the lip between face and disc surface,then repeat )

assuming the grub screw is out that holds disc to bearing

Good point,although a mighty blow from Sammy will overcome that :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 08 November 2018, 18:35:40 »

You can see in the pic that the grub screw has been removed, 10 o'clock on the disc. That too was hard to remove, I think thse brakes have not been touched since new, nor the fluid changed. The woman who sold it to me said, with pride, that it had not been serviced for a lomg while. Thanks Henryd. I will paint some brake fluid around the central hub and leave it overnight.
I have had similar problems on Omegas, even after backing off the handbrake adjuster all the way. In the morning I will try again, with 2 hammers, bashing from both sides. I am reluctant to use heat near the wheel bearing.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 08 November 2018, 18:50:13 »

You can see in the pic that the grub screw has been removed, 10 o'clock on the disc. That too was hard to remove, I think thse brakes have not been touched since new, nor the fluid changed. The woman who sold it to me said, with pride, that it had not been serviced for a lomg while. Thanks Henryd. I will paint some brake fluid around the central hub and leave it overnight.
I have had similar problems on Omegas, even after backing off the handbrake adjuster all the way. In the morning I will try again, with 2 hammers, bashing from both sides. I am reluctant to use heat near the wheel bearing.

You would need a massive oxy-acetylene torch to get enough heat through the disc and hub to affect the bearing :o  Just waving a butane torch around won't do anything worthwhile, unlike a bigger hammer which will.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 08 November 2018, 18:57:29 »

discs  probably are original (they where on the zafira,same set up)
GM part number and logo on the back
I strip the pads out and clean up brake calipers and lube slides (front brakes) adjust handbrake ,etc  pre MOT on all ours,

I agree with Nick, don't use heat ,use violence  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 08 November 2018, 23:04:00 »

This car comes with an amazing service history. Since 2014 it has had one owner. She appears to have changed what was necessary to keep it going and get it through MOT tests, but never changed the oil. She did change the cambelt, tensioners and water pump on purchase, and has since then changed droplinks, plugs, fuel pump, crank sensor, steering joints and tyres as required. The oil was seriously black. I ran the engine for 10 minutes to warm up the oil, then drained it for 3 hours. I changed the oil filter and put in new Trade Club 5W30 oil. Checking the level, the oil on the dip stick was still black. Oh dear.

When I changed the oil last Wednesday in my other Astra, after oil change the dip stick showed clean oil.

I wonder how long this engine will last?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 09 November 2018, 13:03:08 »

Thanks for advice. After brake fluid overnight and a bigger hammer, the brake disc came off. N/s brake is fully assembled, but I discovered I could not retract the brake piston without a special tool to screw in the piston, which I do not have. I used the big hammer instead. All is now assembled, but I cannot turn the wheel. Will it free up under engine power, or do I need the special tool?

STEMO

« Reply #96 on: 09 November 2018, 13:06:03 »

Thanks for advice. After brake fluid overnight and a bigger hammer, the brake disc came off. N/s brake is fully assembled, but I discovered I could not retract the brake piston without a special tool to screw in the piston, which I do not have. I used the big hammer instead. All is now assembled, but I cannot turn the wheel. Will it free up under engine power, or do I need the special tool?
Oh dear.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 09 November 2018, 13:19:36 »

Check the MOT history :y
has it failed on emissions in the past ?
how is the engine now you changed the oil ? any noisy valve lifters ? knocks etc ?  smoke when the engine is up to temperature ? is this the 120k miles one ?

5w30 fully synthetic is thin and will flush sludge from all the engine IF it is there (if engine has done short journeys,not had regular oil changes,had thick oil in the past)

I've had this in the past ,a 1.6 with only 80k that a garage put flushing oil in to reduce emissions then fully synthetic 5w30 (it did not work, just made it worse ) all the sludge just stuck in the oil control rings ,jamming them in the pistons  >:(
 it smoked like a steam train when warm, I got the car,stripped it ,new rings ,cleaned sump etc and found the emissions fail was down to a clogged injector  ::)

your car may have had thick oil in or not been changed enough(very likely from what you say) ,
hopefully a couple of oil and filter changes will resolve it .

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 09 November 2018, 13:28:33 »

you need the tool
you may have damaged the caliper by forcing it because it has a ratchet handbrake mech too (so handbrake off,reservoir cap off,rewind tool)
there are 2 slots in the piston to get purchase on to screw it in,
you could fashion a tool ,see if it will turn but they are very cheap
the little cube multi rewind tool WON'T fit these IIRC

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 09 November 2018, 13:31:30 »

I know why it,s tight - the new disc is thicker than the worn disc. us

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 09 November 2018, 13:34:01 »

Hit the wrong key. I see lots of tools on e-bay, but I could not imagine how I could improvise one. The cube tool at £3 is no good, you say. Others come as kits in a box. Cn you recommend one?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 09 November 2018, 14:13:51 »

I ground an old imperial spanner to fit the slots perfectly and used an adjustable spanner to grip that and turn it , but that requires turning and pushing the spanner which requires 3 shredded wheat for breakfast  ;D
You need to turn it in the correct direction too ,and i can't remember which (and tools are available for both directions so as well as finding one to fit the slots it needs the correct thread)
probably youtube videos and a google search will find the best tool if you don't want to buy a universal set ,like this clicky link

I don't know what shops you have local that may sell what you need ,machine mart ? screwfix ? halfords is expensive  :(
but ebay will have what you need ,but awaiting delivery is annoying  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 09 November 2018, 14:33:33 »

here is a video of a couple of northerners   :-\ struggling with the tool  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgO4m9c1u6g
but it gives you an idea of what to do
clockwise seems to be the direction

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 09 November 2018, 14:38:01 »

I recently did the rear calipers on kitty and had to rewind the piston.  Clockwise is fairly typical across the market and I used the small cube tool I bought from the local factors.  It wasn't a perfect fit but I created a clean flat edge for it to bite on to and that did the trick.  A pig to get started but once moving it took half a dozen turns to get back far enough for the new discs and pads.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 09 November 2018, 15:09:12 »

universal kit on ebay
£15 inc delivery clicky
says 48 hour courier delivery   :-\

The "cube" definitely won't fit 5 stud ,so doubt it will fit 4 stud brakes and it requires a strong force to keep it engaged ,
also, get all the rust,dust and dirt off the piston , I squirt a little wd40 on it to lube the rubber seal as the piston turns (the seal can stick to the piston and turn,possibly ripping it) , then wash with brake cleaner once retracted  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.