Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does the slightest bit of snow still bring out the muppetts  (Read 1762 times)

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile

Why does the slightest bit of snow still bring out the muppetts who still think that speed is the best way to get through it? Add to that the bullying techniques they tend to display once they are moving and it all adds up to sheer insanity. Turning their heads in the opposite direction to your approach even when you have the legal right of way so that the 'I did not see you' and hope that you will give way (if its possible) is hardly a good example of driving skill or road sense. Biggest problem is that the same muppetts are just as bad a driver in good weather! Think I will hibernate........... :D
As for the trains .....its always either leaves or snow on the line and yet those on in other parts of the world do not seem to let that stop them! Why does it happen here? The rail travel costs are high enough (exhorbitant even) for them to ensure that the service is the best in the world and not the lame donkey it is. The argument that it is the passengers who will have to pay for the improvements is a false one considering the amounts of profit they have all made over the years since privatisation to the great pleasure of their greedy shareholders.
Would anyone else like to see it re-nationalised? Hmmmmmmm :D
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Why does the slightest bit of snow still bring out the muppetts
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2013, 11:16:40 »

Why does the slightest bit of snow still bring out the muppetts who still think that speed is the best way to get through it? Add to that the bullying techniques they tend to display once they are moving and it all adds up to sheer insanity. Turning their heads in the opposite direction to your approach even when you have the legal right of way so that the 'I did not see you' and hope that you will give way (if its possible) is hardly a good example of driving skill or road sense. Biggest problem is that the same muppetts are just as bad a driver in good weather! Think I will hibernate........... :D
As for the trains .....its always either leaves or snow on the line and yet those on in other parts of the world do not seem to let that stop them! Why does it happen here? The rail travel costs are high enough (exhorbitant even) for them to ensure that the service is the best in the world and not the lame donkey it is. The argument that it is the passengers who will have to pay for the improvements is a false one considering the amounts of profit they have all made over the years since privatisation to the great pleasure of their greedy shareholders.
Would anyone else like to see it re-nationalised? Hmmmmmmm :D
NO!!!

Quite the opposite, all subsidies removed, and if they can't stand on their own, let them close.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2013, 11:51:48 »

I went for a long walk in the snow yesterday afternoon!  :y

Coming back through the streets I only saw about 10 cars driving. There was a Peugeot 306 who was spinning his wheels furiously and was going nowhere fast!  ;D  There was a Mondeo with chains on driving at a sensible speed and doing quite well and the rest were 4x4's all driving at normal speeds which as a pedestrian was quite scary as it seemed way too fast for the conditions!!  :o 

I ducked behind a parked car every time a 4x4 went past, in case they lost control!!  ::)  What a chicken eh??  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2013, 11:58:12 »

There are more issues with people driving too slowly (zero confidence) than too fast, IMHO.

You will have periods of zero traction on snow and ice. If you have no momentum, you stop, and when you stop so does everybody following you.

I'm not talking about huge speed, but, where it's safe to do so, 20MPH rather than 10MPH makes it much easier to keep moving.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2013, 12:03:15 »

There are more issues with people driving too slowly (zero confidence) than too fast, IMHO.

You will have periods of zero traction on snow and ice. If you have no momentum, you stop, and when you stop so does everybody following you.

I'm not talking about huge speed, but, where it's safe to do so, 20MPH rather than 10MPH makes it much easier to keep moving.

Indeed... Driving in snow isn't about driving slowly! It's about driving smoothly and without any aggressive changes in speed or direction ;)

Yes, part of being able to drive smoothly means you will have to be slower than in the dry, but not 10mph FFS >:( >:(
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2013, 12:15:31 »

Yes I understand all that! But I do wonder how many of the 4x4 drivers I saw yesterday driving at 30-40 mph through narrow streets on hard packed snow do?!  ::)  There wasn't a lot of room for manoeuvre if it all went wrong and I felt that many of them were going too fast for the conditions!  :-\ 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2013, 13:07:49 »

The muppets are always out there on our roads regardless of conditions! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Please just make sure you are not one of them!! :D :D :D ;)

belldarr

« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2013, 13:48:53 »

I was behind an elderly driver yesterday and I left a nice big gap between us as we travelled the country lanes on my way home, all was well until I went round a blind bend after seeing him go round it 10 seconds earlier and there he is just round the bend in the middle of the road with his reverse lights on coming back towards me. Luckily I was able to stop as I had slowed right down to negotiate the bend on the packed snow surface, I have no idea what he was doing but he was pretty cheesed off that I was behind him and blocking him from reversing back around the bend!!

Darren

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2013, 22:12:55 »

Typical 'novice' 4x4 driving by the sounds of it.

Sure, drive from four wheels gives more traction, but they won't stop any quicker than a two wheel drive vehicle when the anchors are applied.     
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2013, 22:21:59 »

Typical 'novice' 4x4 driving by the sounds of it.

Sure, drive from four wheels gives more traction, but they won't stop any quicker than a two wheel drive vehicle when the anchors are applied.     

soon they will discover it and I hope not in the hardest way :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2013, 23:05:57 »

Yes I understand all that! But I do wonder how many of the 4x4 drivers I saw yesterday driving at 30-40 mph through narrow streets on hard packed snow do?!  ::)  There wasn't a lot of room for manoeuvre if it all went wrong and I felt that many of them were going too fast for the conditions!  :-\

Agreed. Driving back home along cobbled roads (there are still some left up in't grim North  ;)) after walking the Mutt, I had no problem driving in a straight line. I gave the brakes a stab just to test the roads surface. The ABS operated in spade loads! But till I played, I'd had no feed back at how slippery the surface was.

I have to add, this was a road with little traffic & not exactly a major road.  ;) ;)

albitz

« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2013, 08:39:48 »

I took a short cut down a little back road about half a mile long,on the way home from work last night.It was like a sheet of glass from one end to the other.  :o ;D
On a 90 degree right,the car wouldnt respond to the steering at all at not much more than 10mph.I could see the wheel tracks of the previous car that had ended up going straight off the road trying to get round it. A quick yank of the handbrake brought the rear round to the required direction just in the nick of time. ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2013, 09:18:37 »

I took a short cut down a little back road about half a mile long,on the way home from work last night.It was like a sheet of glass from one end to the other.  :o ;D
On a 90 degree right,the car wouldnt respond to the steering at all at not much more than 10mph.I could see the wheel tracks of the previous car that had ended up going straight off the road trying to get round it. A quick yank of the handbrake brought the rear round to the required direction just in the nick of time. ;D

playtime ;D

albitz

« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2013, 09:26:35 »

Yep. :y ;D................Im at work until 7.30pm and its ben snowing for the last hour.If it keeps up all day I should have more fun & games on the way home tonight. Might be wishing for some of your beloved winter tyres Cem. :y :D ;D

Rog

« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2013, 09:46:02 »

Muppets ? Great    :D

Never Smile At A Crocodile   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplULRL_omY

. . . Oh Driving Muppets, sorry     ;D

Couldn't find anything with Fozzy Bear in a 4x4
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.