Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluetooth Wireless Dongle  (Read 8436 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Bluetooth Wireless Dongle
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2019, 20:07:24 »

If I had an Apple box I would be committed to yet another contract with payment, as I have in the past had Sky and BT, but now enjoy the simplicity of Freeview Play that gives me everything I need.

Lizzie, this isn't correct. By default there is no subscription. I believe you can subscribe to specific channels and pay for them if you choose to. You can also buy films and boxed sets via iTunes and your Apple TV will play those for you. However, if all you want is music, it's just the Apple TV box and your iTunes login that you need.  :y

Thanks, but yes all I want is iTunes and that I get anyway on my PC and other devices all for just £9.99 a month.

My latest problem is "just" to do with getting my PC to send music via my sound bar ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 June 2019, 10:58:08 »

A new PC is no guarantee of it working TBH.  iTunes is all DRM'd, and each update occasionally tightens it further.

Thus, point to point - app (iTunes) through every step to where it goes analogue again (generally the amp) have to support that version of DRM that the app is demanding.  That includes the BT stack, the drivers, the cable, any mixer/graphic/DSP in the soundbar, plus any digital bits beyond.  Even the standard audio driver in Windows can bugger it up, along with any codecs you might have installed.

And all have to support the standard and revision the app wants - which in the case of an unupgradable soundbar means replacement.

For HDMI, the copy protection scheme is HDCP from memory, and has a few revisions. No idea if iTunes uses that or something else, and nor do I care, as iTunes lives on one of my PCs out of necessity to upload to phone/ipod.

Honestly, I'd look towards less proprietary solutions - mine is CDs because I'm old fashioned and like to "own" it, and the amount of music coming out now that I want to listen to is limited.  And I certainly buy less than £10 of CD's a month for myself.  But if you like the streaming thing, other options are available without the Apple awkwardness.  Cant personally recommend any, as not used any for ages.  Mrs TB uses the free ad-sponsered Spotify occasionally, and I think Tunnie uses the premium version.

My own music tastes are quite varied, and for the most part, I'm happy with the wireless on for that variety, though not Radio 2 at lunchtime.  But in the car if I'm in a hurry, I do did out the old favourites like Bat Out of Hell, or something like Canon in D Major if I need to slow down ;D
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 June 2019, 14:37:28 »

A new PC is no guarantee of it working TBH.  iTunes is all DRM'd, and each update occasionally tightens it further.

Thus, point to point - app (iTunes) through every step to where it goes analogue again (generally the amp) have to support that version of DRM that the app is demanding.  That includes the BT stack, the drivers, the cable, any mixer/graphic/DSP in the soundbar, plus any digital bits beyond.  Even the standard audio driver in Windows can bugger it up, along with any codecs you might have installed.

And all have to support the standard and revision the app wants - which in the case of an unupgradable soundbar means replacement.

For HDMI, the copy protection scheme is HDCP from memory, and has a few revisions. No idea if iTunes uses that or something else, and nor do I care, as iTunes lives on one of my PCs out of necessity to upload to phone/ipod.

Honestly, I'd look towards less proprietary solutions - mine is CDs because I'm old fashioned and like to "own" it, and the amount of music coming out now that I want to listen to is limited.  And I certainly buy less than £10 of CD's a month for myself.  But if you like the streaming thing, other options are available without the Apple awkwardness.  Cant personally recommend any, as not used any for ages.  Mrs TB uses the free ad-sponsered Spotify occasionally, and I think Tunnie uses the premium version.

My own music tastes are quite varied, and for the most part, I'm happy with the wireless on for that variety, though not Radio 2 at lunchtime.  But in the car if I'm in a hurry, I do did out the old favourites like Bat Out of Hell, or something like Canon in D Major if I need to slow down ;D

Thanks TB again! :y :y

All this makes me think I should just enjoy iTunes via my iPad, going through my Bluetooth sound bar, only.  I can play it through my PC still, but of course there is a loss of sound quality.

All this hassle is another example of all this new fangled high tech is over rated, and still too complicated or non tech / older folk- to ensure IT companies of all types can gain revenue for giving advice , selling services / software and providing yet more ::) ::)

:D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2019, 16:05:15 »

In consumer computing - ie, desktops, laptops, printers etc, there is no profit. Think in the region of one percent on PCs, and about -30% on printers.  Non niche software fares little better, which is why everything is going over to subscription based models, such as Office365, Amazon Prime Video and so on.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 June 2019, 16:06:46 »

Unless you use backstreet builders, or buy from the likes of PC World.  In which case, you're a bit radio rental
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2019, 16:59:54 »

In consumer computing - ie, desktops, laptops, printers etc, there is no profit. Think in the region of one percent on PCs, and about -30% on printers.  Non niche software fares little better, which is why everything is going over to subscription based models, such as Office365, Amazon Prime Video and so on.

You are right again, as we were lucky to make much profit on ant of those, and on printers especially it was all about selling the consumables, like ink, toners, and paper so we hoped selling the hardware  cheaply would encourage repeat business on those.  The two former items made a decent profit, generally 35%, company wide, but that just paid for everything else! ::) ::) :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 June 2019, 08:34:28 »

That must have been a loooonnng time ago, unless selling b2b with services.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2019, 08:34:47 »

Or PC World
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2019, 19:59:38 »

Or PC World

Ah, you could be all too true on that one, and although I did retire over 10 years ago I know how that retailer operates.......!  :P;D ;D

As for the bloody Bluetooth device, it is going back to Amazon after the supplier sent me an email attachment after I explained my difficulties, with great sceen shots of the process to get it working..............the instructions were specifically for Windows 7, dated 2015, so prehistoric and I pariticuly highlighted my Windows 10 system was not accepting the devices software!!!! ::) ::)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 June 2019, 00:27:23 »

Or PC World

Ah, you could be all too true on that one, and although I did retire over 10 years ago I know how that retailer operates.......!  :P;D ;D

As for the bloody Bluetooth device, it is going back to Amazon after the supplier sent me an email attachment after I explained my difficulties, with great sceen shots of the process to get it working..............the instructions were specifically for Windows 7, dated 2015, so prehistoric and I pariticuly highlighted my Windows 10 system was not accepting the devices software!!!! ::) ::)

Windows 7 doesn't support Bluetooth 4.2, so if your widget requires 4.2 to operate then it won't work on Win7, and if the drivers only claim to support Win7 then if/when you install them on Win10 you may well find that although Win10 does support Blu4.2, the drivers don't.

Had a similar problem at Christmas on my triple boot laptop. Win7 could find but wouldn't connect to a VOCA sound-bar, so we could watch my DVD of The Great Escape, but only had crappy PC sound. If I booted into Win10 I could get the VOCA to connect and play sounds, but there is no native Media Player so couldn't watch the film. This year I'm taking the phono leads!
« Last Edit: 13 June 2019, 00:30:27 by LC0112G »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 June 2019, 09:13:22 »

Or PC World

Windows 7 doesn't support Bluetooth 4.2, so if your widget requires 4.2 to operate then it won't work on Win7, and if the drivers only claim to support Win7 then if/when you install them on Win10 you may well find that although Win10 does support Blu4.2, the drivers don't.

Had a similar problem at Christmas on my triple boot laptop. Win7 could find but wouldn't connect to a VOCA sound-bar, so we could watch my DVD of The Great Escape, but only had crappy PC sound. If I booted into Win10 I could get the VOCA to connect and play sounds, but there is no native Media Player so couldn't watch the film. This year I'm taking the phono leads!

No, the product , the associated packaging and the supplier all claimed the dongle was compatible with Windows 7/8 and 10.  The software provided also claimed the same,

In short the product did not do what it was claimed it would do on my Windows 10 system, and now has been returned. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 June 2019, 10:45:07 »

...........and I should have added many thanks LC0112G for the advice, but I am now just about at my limit over this stupid thing!! ;D ;D :y

In fact, as I have already mentioned, I am seriously looking at upgrading my PC so it has Bluetooth built in. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 June 2019, 10:55:02 »

I am seriously looking at upgrading my PC so it has Bluetooth built in. ;)
Which might not necessarily resolve the problem....
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 June 2019, 10:58:37 »

I am seriously looking at upgrading my PC so it has Bluetooth built in. ;)
Which might not necessarily resolve the problem....

Maybe, but I would then know I have an up to date, fully loaded, PC that is not prehistoric in your techie terms (that is now just over 5 years old!!). ;D ;D ;)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 June 2019, 13:06:17 »

Bet your equipment (ahem) is nowhere as ancient as mine (ahem again) Lizzie. I still have to shovel coal into it. :D But, at least the Linux that my brother in law loaded for me is working  ok. Some of the topics on tech and computers  on here are double dutch, gobledegook and hieroglyphics  to me. :-[
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.