Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shunted on the way home .....  (Read 3994 times)

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
Re: Shunted on the way home .....
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2018, 19:51:35 »

..... last night while in my Fortwo Smart by a Land Rover Sport. Though I've yet to get under & have a proper look, my Smart seems unscathed. His MOT ran out 2 Jan 2018, do I give hi me the benefit of the doubt?

Nope, report it to your insurance company......as you are contractually obliged to.

Not exactly.  Read your policy first, as wording varies.  Some simply say notify if you are involved in an accident.  Other say notify if you are involved in an accident that could lead to a claim on the policy.  In the latter case, as the other driver is at fault and you will not claim on your policy then no need to notify your insurer
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2018, 19:54:05 »

I know at one time most police officers would give 14 days "grace" for no road tax[as it was then]although of course this was not set in stone so they could do you for it if they wanted to,not heard of this in relation to no M.o.T. though.Last I heard[again it may have changed now]not having an M.o.T.[technically at least voiding your insurance]was not an endorsable offence,just a fine.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2018, 20:25:30 »

My neighbour is a copper. I asked him about it & he says that plod generally give people about 6 weeks grace for no MOT.  :-\

Been under the car this afternoon & with exception of a clip holding a panel in place at the side of the centre Brabus exhaust being dislodged, all is really as it should be. I suppose it says something of Smart in the fact that 850kg stood up to 2 tonne plus of LR
Fukcing hell,that can't be right.Dean.
Yup...

Anything less is plausible forgetfulness, anything over is considered deliberate.

Same for rfl, needs to be over a month out to make a prosecution stick.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2018, 00:33:05 »

I can confirm from my own, stupid experience.

The Desmond’s MOT ran our 8 days into a 3 week jaunt to the states not so long ago. My phone helpfully reminded me one day after I landed in Ohio ::).

On the way back from BHX I had my collar felt by two plod in an unmarked Octavia, they gave me a bit of a quiz, glanced over the mig (4 tyres in place, non bald, lights working etc) and sent me off with instructions to get it addressed.

That said, passport (proof of ID), boarding card and suitcase, oh and Valid VED via DD were all no doubt indicators I wasn’t spinning a yarn. :y

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2018, 07:42:29 »

I was hit by uninsured driver years ago i was driving an old rover 216. Polis told me to submit claim to motor insurance bureau, sent damage estimate and police report, got 280 back for a creased bumper, which i never bothered to fix.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2018, 22:58:32 »

did the Lack of MOT cause the accident. No.

Insurers can only use the lack of MOT to get out of claims if the cause of the accident was something that would have caused the car to fail an mot, and only then if you were not driving to a pre-booked  MOT.  High Court Ruling and all that.

Not being funny, but we all have accidents, and some of us may have forgotten for a whole 9 months to MOT their totally road worthy car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2018, 00:49:36 »

Insurers can only use the lack of MOT to get out of claims if the cause of the accident was something that would have caused the car to fail an mot, and only then if you were not driving to a pre-booked  MOT.  High Court Ruling and all that.

Not being funny, but we all have accidents, and some of us may have forgotten for a whole 9 months to MOT their totally road worthy car.
The lack of an MoT is an unknown factor in this accident... Without being tested, it may have had a contributory defect. And without the registration number, you have no way of knowing exactly what the condition was at the time of the previous test...

If you have driven your car around without an MoT for nine months, then you probably shouldn't have a car, regardless of how road worthy you believe it to be :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2018, 09:14:25 »

The lack of an MoT is an unknown factor in this accident... Without being tested, it may have had a contributory defect. And without the registration number, you have no way of knowing exactly what the condition was at the time of the previous test...

If you have driven your car around without an MoT for nine months, then you probably shouldn't have a car, regardless of how road worthy you believe it to be :-X

The main contributor to this bump was the nut holding the wheel of the Land Rover ..... nothing particularly untoward on previous MOTs   ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.