Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: lpg tank  (Read 3540 times)

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
lpg tank
« on: 24 November 2017, 20:21:42 »

Hi all what's the biggest lpg tank i can put in an omega eatate please thanks :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: lpg tank
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2017, 20:33:49 »

Hi all what's the biggest lpg tank i can put in an omega eatate please thanks :y

72L Torroidal with some modifications to wheel well and raising the boot floor about 3.5 inches
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2017, 20:40:35 »

Thanks LD don't fancy raising the boot floor though will have a rethink and maybe put a smaller tank in :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2017, 20:59:48 »

Sorry to sound negative but why have a good load lugger estate then shove a damn great tank in which surely defeats the object of having an estate. Just asking as i have never had either LPG or an estate. :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2017, 21:12:55 »

Sorry to sound negative but why have a good load lugger estate then shove a damn great tank in which surely defeats the object of having an estate. Just asking as i have never had either LPG or an estate. :-\

It goes in spare wheel location, no loss of practical load carrying  :y

For Saloons yes you do loose some space and abilities such as seats down for longer items.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2017, 22:07:58 »

Should have read what I posted then ;) It reduces the boot space to merely the size of most normal estate cars ::)

Thanks LD don't fancy raising the boot floor though will have a rethink and maybe put a smaller tank in :y

In which case it’s under 50L. Why don’t you want to raise the boot floor? :-\

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2017, 22:51:32 »

Quote from: b4ndit on Today at 20:40:35

Hav'nt really thought about raising the boot floor but my have to if the tank has to be under 50l, what does it entail? is it just a case of making a frame to lift it up? and what needs to be done with the wheel well? sorry for all the questions, thanks :-[

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2017, 23:15:23 »

Hav'nt really thought about raising the boot floor but my have to if the tank has to be under 50l, what does it entail? is it just a case of making a frame to lift it up? and what needs to be done with the wheel well? sorry for all the questions, thanks :-[

A picture paints a thousand words but it’s dark so... :D

Cut the lip off the rearmost side of the aperture to allow the gas tight box to fit and cut off the bits in the Centre for securing the wheel.

As for raising the boot... Mine was done by Cliffo b with some insulating foam and plywood. I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow, if I remember  ::)

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2017, 23:25:39 »

Been a while since I had mine put in but mine is torroidal, in the spare wheel well and around 70l? I get a 55l fill from empty.

Lasts me 200-230 miles on a 3.0 V6.

I had to raise the floor a bit, and used polystyrene sheet to do that. Cut it to shape, laid it under the boot carpet and put that back on top. Made a carpet-wrapped fillet at the boot opening to hide the edge. No need for wooden frame. No problem with heavy objects as the load is well spread by the carpet assembly.

Works a treat, and only lost a small amount of boot height. Less than 2 inches, probably 40-50 mm or so? I can measure it if need be as it's been a while since I did it.

I don't notice the loss of space really, the fuel savings more than make up for it. Still managed to fit a dishwasher in there!

No spare wheel, but in 25 years of driving I've only had to change a wheel at the roadside twice, and I have recovery.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2017, 23:29:37 »

A picture paints a thousand words but it’s dark so... :D

Cut the lip off the rearmost side of the aperture to allow the gas tight box to fit and cut off the bits in the Centre for securing the wheel.

As for raising the boot... Mine was done by Cliffo b with some insulating foam and plywood. I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow, if I remember  ::)
great thanks LD :y

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2017, 23:31:19 »

Been a while since I had mine put in but mine is torroidal, in the spare wheel well and around 70l? I get a 55l fill from empty.

Lasts me 200-230 miles on a 3.0 V6.

I had to raise the floor a bit, and used polystyrene sheet to do that. Cut it to shape, laid it under the boot carpet and put that back on top. Made a carpet-wrapped fillet at the boot opening to hide the edge. No need for wooden frame. No problem with heavy objects as the load is well spread by the carpet assembly.

Works a treat, and only lost a small amount of boot height. Less than 2 inches, probably 40-50 mm or so? I can measure it if need be as it's been a while since I did it.

I don't notice the loss of space really, the fuel savings more than make up for it. Still managed to fit a dishwasher in there!

No spare wheel, but in 25 years of driving I've only had to change a wheel at the roadside twice, and I have recovery.

thanks any pics would be helpful :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2017, 23:32:52 »

Thanks to all for putting me in the picture.  :y As i said, was asking due to total ignorance of the subject. :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2017, 09:41:50 »

To get the best from LPG, go for the biggest tank you can get away with, and also always try to run to near empty and completely fill it (IME, short filling leads to very low economy).

If the do-gooders get their way, and make soot chuckers socially unacceptable, maybe BP will reverse their daft decision to stop selling LPG, and refit the pumps at all their sites.  Then I wouldn't hesitate to have LPG again (TBE is still LPG, but I never get to drive that!)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2017, 09:44:34 »

Is it BP policy to reduce LPG selling? The BP at Hatton Cross would be my primary filling station if the 3.2 was converted.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2017, 09:53:54 »

Ah: https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/bp-starts-withdrawing-lpg-from-petrol-stations
That article is way behind the times.  They actively started withdrawing about 5yrs ago (but not updating their website/app), and I haven't been aware of any BP selling LPG for probably 3yrs (which is why I said I'd not get another LPG car, as option round here are limited - nothing within 10 miles, Bicester is out as well due to the crossing being closed for 45m every hour, nothing until you get to MK, and the 2 there are awkward to get to etc etc)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2017, 10:48:17 »

Ah: https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/bp-starts-withdrawing-lpg-from-petrol-stations

To be fair, had BP not been so rediculously overpriced they may have sold more LPG and decided to keep it on pump (or even expand the network!) ::)

But, like most filling stations, they were more focussed on getting people to do their weekly shop and buy a crappy coffee than actually selling fuel >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2017, 11:08:01 »

To be fair, had BP not been so rediculously overpriced they may have sold more LPG and decided to keep it on pump (or even expand the network!) ::)
I found them to be no different to any other branded fuel outlet in a given area (ie, motorway service stations were always ridiculous). And there was often a queue for the LPG pumps here, not helped by fact there were normal pumps there as well.

But they were far more interested in selling coffee, because we've bred a society where we must drink hot drinks at 80mph up the A43.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2017, 11:30:52 »

Hatton Cross BP pumps reasonable price, but far more reliable than Texaco pumps. Which was often cheaper but regularly had issues.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2017, 12:11:02 »

I don't have an LPG station within 10 miles now and there isn't one near to, or on the way to work so my LPG days are over.
Using the Omega approx. a third of the time and the chipwagon two thirds more than compensates for giving up on LPG.
My overall average MPG, from both cars, is probably in the region of 65 - 70, which I cant complain about.
Total VED per annum is north of £500, which is a pitas theres no getting around that.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2017, 12:15:47 »

I found them to be no different to any other branded fuel outlet in a given area (ie, motorway service stations were always ridiculous). And there was often a queue for the LPG pumps here, not helped by fact there were normal pumps there as well.

But they were far more interested in selling coffee, because we've bred a society where we must drink hot drinks at 80mph up the A43.

Yep, and a spoon of Nescafe in a cup is no good. Unless it takes the cashier about 10 minutes to make it while everybody else waits, it's not good enough. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2017, 13:56:19 »

Im fairly lucky with LPG around here, plenty of Fill Up places not that far from Hone or on my routes in and out of London or a few mins off the M25 -

Morrisons 2 near around 54p, Sainsburys 55p, 2 Shells that seem to complete 53 and 55p, untill recently a BP (MRH) was at 54p, but just up 59p now, still cheap if you use the MRH 10p off per litre Card thing, tend to carry 2 Cards now and switch between them, use the first 1- 5p discount for 30L tops ups and then use the 6 -10p for full refills, sounds like a lot of fuffing around but doing the Maths can bring it down a 48p Average over fill ups.

LPG has never been cheaper when compared Petrol or Disel these days, less than half price, its a no brainer for me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2017, 14:21:02 »

LPG has never been cheaper when compared Petrol or Disel these days, less than half price, its a no brainer for me.

Yep, you're right. My Omega is currently ridiculously cheap to run given the performance. It's costing me about the same as my previous car - a sub-100 BHP 1.8 8V Manual Laguna. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 November 2017, 14:43:10 »

If you have convenient LPG, I agree, its an absolute no brainer.

Plus you tend not to give two hoots about MPG, so drive it properly everywhere ;D

Following the demise of my beloved LPG'd MV6, had I had access to convenient LPG, my drive would be filled with 500bhp of JLR's V8 :D. But sadly, the frequent 20 mile round trips which were taking an hour out of my life every time, made it unviable. And Mr Angry used to come properly out if it was a wasted trip due to the mongs not having any (pretty common around these parts - not just LPG, but all fuels).
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 November 2017, 17:10:45 »

Yep, you're right. My Omega is currently ridiculously cheap to run given the performance. It's costing me about the same as my previous car - a sub-100 BHP 1.8 8V Manual Laguna. ;D
Yea, my 3.2 Manual loves the stuff  :y, but Im not going to embarrass myself by admitting what my little run around LPG'd 1.2 CorsaVan does but it almost runs on Cold Air  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.