Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not been here for a while, so hello again!  (Read 2317 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
Not been here for a while, so hello again!
« on: 04 June 2016, 21:20:47 »

Hello All!

I've been an OOF member for a while now, but never really posted much, and not been on for a few years as not had an Omega recently. 

Picked up a cheap pre-facelift 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate this afternoon, 1997 on a P-plate.  I've wanted one for ages but for one reason or another, never got round to getting one.  They seem to be getting thin on the ground lately, there's been a few on ebay but outside my very limited budget.  So the one I have was bought of a local Facenook group for banger money with a few advertised faults (rear discs warped, back box missing and needs glow plugs).  There's a few other niggles, cruise control doesn't work, remote locking key is broken, and drivers seat adjuster doesn't work either!

Anyway, drove it the 10 mile journey home earlier today and it seems to go ok.  No overheating, gearbox is nice and smooth, no clonks from the suspension.  The only slightly worrying thing is that the dipstick tube is loose and doesn't seem to be attached at the bottom end, will definitely have to get that sorted sharpish. 

All in all for £250 I'm quite happy!

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Not been here for a while, so hello again!
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2016, 21:37:37 »

Hello again..just cant keep away can we.. ;D ;D

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2016, 13:40:54 »

Well I'm bound to need some assistance in sorting out a few of the cars faults!  :)

Had a poke around today and there's a few niggles to sort.  The car basically drives ok, apart from a very warped rear disc but I already knew that as it was in the advert. 

The oil dip stick tube appears to be loose at the bottom where it goes into the sump.  Not sure what's at fault there as it's a bit difficult to see. 

The viscous fan seems a bit over keen, as it is locking up even when the car is running at normal temperature.  On previous car's I've owned I just take them off and replace with an electric fan.  Not sure if that's a good idea or not with it being turbo diesel? 

Cruise control doesn't work.  It's never really bothered me on other cars I've owned with it fitted, but I wouldn't mind having a go at getting it to work at some point. 

The alloy wheel centre cap bolts are all missing, so will need a set of those and a key, will also need another centre cap as I only have 3 out of the 4. 

The original type CD player doesn't display on the dash, but this might be because the brake warning light is always on, I can't remember how to clear the warning light so it goes off.  The unit seems to work ok though.  As long as I can get radio 2 I'll be happy as that's all I ever listen to!

Need to source and fit a rear silencer, seems to be plenty on ebay going cheap.  Not too fussed about doing that straight away as it doesn't seem to be much noisier without it!

I'm sure there will be other things to do.  First on the list will be the rear discs, will get them ordered in the week.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2016, 20:51:32 »

Welcome back :y

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2016, 21:15:07 »

Hello and welcome back. Good luck with the new Omega. :y :y

baggedestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Gillingham kent
    • 3.2 estate ex police
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2016, 21:22:55 »

welcome back :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2016, 22:01:31 »

Well here it is.....

Haven't driven it much so far, the shuddering rear brakes are a little off putting.  Easily sorted though, I hope.  The missing back box I can live with for now as it doesn't seem to make any difference to the noise levels at all.

What I would like to sort is the viscous fan coupling, as I'm 99% sure the fan shouldn't be heard "whooshing" all the time.  The car does have air con, which has no gas in it, so is it possible to ditch the viscous and use the air-con fans as cooling fans instead?  Just thinking out loud!

sandune

• Omega Baron
  • Essex Southend
    • 2.6 Omega Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2016, 23:30:10 »

Welcome again seem as if you have things sorted. Luck as you progress! :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.