Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2,2dti experiences?  (Read 2605 times)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Omega 2,2dti experiences?
« on: 30 April 2016, 11:08:49 »

Hi. Im thinking of buying an Opel omega 2,2 dti. The car has little rust and looks good. Have no experience of diesel omegas though. Is the 2,2 diesel a good engine? Is it Opel/vauxhall or isuzu engine? The car in question sometimes have eml light on. Is it any common issues with these? I understand its obviously slower than the v6 but since its gonna be a daily driver for someone who just got their license i guess thats ok:)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2,2dti experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2016, 11:13:50 »

Intakes and EGR gum up, need regular cleaning.  Fuel pump failure isn't uncommon, and will write the car off...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2016, 11:18:42 »

Intakes and EGR gum up, need regular cleaning.  Fuel pump failure isn't uncommon, and will write the car off...

Out of interest - why does it write the car off?

I know the pumps are coded, but I'm sure this is the case with many other diesels

Not disagreeing, just like to learn why?

I'm guessing maybe it's often not financially viable to repair, as opposed to impossible, due to the labour times around the timing chain etc? :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2016, 11:25:45 »

The EDC repair isn't usually cost viable unless the car is mint and a keeper.  :y

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2016, 19:10:04 »

£130, not that expensive in the real scheme of things.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2016, 19:20:00 »

£130, not that expensive in the real scheme of things.
Not seen a "quality" repair under £300, and that's just sending ECU, not pump, so you have all the dangers associated with separating the ecu and pump...
Grumpy old man

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2016, 11:36:41 »

I had mine from 2007 until late 2015: mishap after cleaning the inlet manifold to try to fix a persistent EGR valve fault (had already fitted new EGR valve so was going through the list).

It was a strong car with very few issues, enabling me to put 120,000 miles on it including Brittany, sideways driving in Scottish snow, beach doughnuts and innumerable trips to the tip.

It just ate up the miles, although now I've got a bargain Picasso HDI the fuel economy of the Omega compares unfavourably. I was getting average of about 33-36 mpg in normal driving. I'd just nudge 41 mpg on a long motorway run at constant speed. In the Picasso (which, despite the Omega's HUGE boot is far more practical) I'm getting mid 50s all day long no matter how I drive.

Problems I had were not really engine-related, though I had a crank sensor go, a couple of electrical gremlins and a pulley break apart. The main problem I had was wishbones and tyres needing replacement. I had the geometry set up properly (not just tracking) several times but it would still go through tyres fast, and the wishbones and bushes seemed to wear out quite quickly. For a few years I made the mistake of putting Eagles on at £120 a corner, which was bankrupting. Mid-range tyres seemed to last longer.

You could get the codes read by a friendly garage to see what the EML is on for.

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2016, 11:42:46 »

One good thing about the 2.2 DTI is there's no timing belt - it's a chain, which means no costly cambelt changes. I'm staring at a £400 bill for a cambelt and water pump change on the Picasso, and it rankles having done 120k in the Omega without that worry.

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2016, 11:44:43 »

Oh, and if you're a new driver, the insurance group on Omegas is quite high I think. I may be wrong but mine was either a 16 or even a 20. I can't remember now.

Even for a driver in his 30s with only one SP30 on his licence and living in a very good postcode, insurance for my 2.2 DTI Elite saloon was £400+ a year. I got that down over the years to about £300 without SP30 but that was shopping around diligently. To put that in perspective, my TVR costs about the same to insure and that's 4 litres.

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2016, 11:46:34 »

According to Parkers, the insurance group is actually 27 for my car.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/insurance/car-insurance-groups/vauxhall/omega/saloon-1994/

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2016, 16:20:24 »

Pretty sure the pumps aren't coded , use the same part number obviously , I've sold a few and never had an issue
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2016, 08:22:15 »

That engine is not common rail, which is good for durability and long term use.
It is not so sensitive to lower quality fuel, and in general more roboust.
Downside is that it's a bit loud and has a 'tractor-like' note.

The pump it self is not an issue, the control unit on the pump fails. New pump is outrageusly expensive.
However, control unit can be repaired, but it needs to be done by someone who really knows what he is doing -> control unit needs to be opened, electronic components replaced, and (this is very important) unit needs to be resealed like OEM.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2016, 20:07:25 »

One good thing about the 2.2 DTI is there's no timing belt - it's a chain, which means no costly cambelt changes. I'm staring at a £400 bill for a cambelt and water pump change on the Picasso, and it rankles having done 120k in the Omega without that worry.

That's a lot for 3 hours work,the belt kit and water pump are cheap for these nowadays so shop around a bit :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2016, 10:39:55 »

I bought mine for a little over £400, ran it for 4 trouble free years and when it did start to play up I broke it for spares and made my £400 back. When they're running well I would say they are arguably the best all round Omega but when they start with problems they can be a right PITA 
Retired

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2016, 15:39:40 »

The 400 for the Picasso can belt is including labour. No way would I take on that job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.